Yo Shavers!

Hey there I am Hossyhossy or hoss for short. I am looking forward to participating in the forum especially the cartridge and soap sections. I have a passion for cartridge razors. I think they are just the business and I collect them: mach 3 with nice handles, Wilkinson Sword Quattros, Harrys, Dorco,dollarshaveclub, Giletteclub, Boldking. I just have to have my cartridge fix whenever I can! All the stuff about them not lasting is a load of cobblers. I strop mine on my jeans and can get a month's use out of my cartridges with no problems whatsoever: always smooth as butter, no nicks and no irritation. In fact I was one of the first testers of the Quattro. I wish I had kept the prototype and not sent the thing back for poxy Boots vouchers now. I am currently waiting on a Gilette Guard which I think will make cartridge and Gilette super bosses all over the world. I think I have chosen the correct way as I don't want to go down the DE route. The blades probably won't last another 10 years anyway ( browsing here I see some blades being withdrawn by Gilette already) with the Guard going down a storm in India and stuff. I can't wait to try it!

OK so you may not be liking what I say but I will make one concession to you traditionalists and that is soap. Man I love artisan soaps. I have got Fox's stuff which is just the dog's (foxes?) do dos and I love to use OSP with my Fusions and my Quattros. The tallow and the perfection of modern, precision engineering go hand in hand to make an awesome shave.

Oh yea a bit about me You can call me Hossy or Hoss but my real name is Larkin Pond and I am a Brit who divides my time between the UK and Belize where the cost of living is high but the hookers are cheap...

Last edited:
I use the Gillette Guard when I travel with carry-on to some non-family destination. (The family all have DE blades on hand.) The Guard is not bad at all though it's a bit disconcerting (if you're accustomed to a DE razor) to discover you can't control the angle. I moved the handle to steepen the angle a bit at a place that needs a steeper angle and nothing happened. The damn cartridge head pivots so you have no control.

I agree: true lather made from shaving soap or cream is the way to go.
"True lather" is what I call a lather made with a shaving brush from shaving soap or shaving cream and water. Almost all men who have tried both true lather and canned foam (and DE and cartridge razors) agree that that, in terms of shave quality and shave enjoyment, it goes like this:

Worst: cartridge razor + canned foam
Better: DE razor + canned foam
Better yet: cartridge razor + true lather
Best: DE razor + true lather

Hey there I am Hossyhossy or hoss for short. I am looking forward to participating in the forum especially the cartridge and soap sections. I have a passion for cartridge razors. I think they are just the business and I collect them: mach 3 with nice handles, Wilkinson Sword Quattros, Harrys, Dorco,dollarshaveclub, Giletteclub, Boldking. I just have to have my cartridge fix whenever I can! All the stuff about them not lasting is a load of cobblers. I strop mine on my jeans and can get a month's use out of my cartridges with no problems whatsoever: always smooth as butter, no nicks and no irritation. In fact I was one of the first testers of the Quattro. I wish I had kept the prototype and not sent the thing back for poxy Boots vouchers now. I am currently waiting on a Gilette Guard which I think will make cartridge and Gilette super bosses all over the world. I think I have chosen the correct way as I don't want to go down the DE route. The blades probably won't last another 10 years anyway ( browsing here I see some blades being withdrawn by Gilette already) with the Guard going down a storm in India and stuff. I can't wait to try it!

OK so you may not be liking what I say but I will make one concession to you traditionalists and that is soap. Man I love artisan soaps. I have got Fox's stuff which is just the dog's (foxes?) do dos and I love to use OSP with my Fusions and my Quattros. The tallow and the perfection of modern, precision engineering go hand in hand to make an awesome shave.

Oh yea a bit about me You can call me Hossy or Hoss but my real name is Larkin Pond and I am a Brit who divides my time between the UK and Belize where the cost of living is high but the hookers are cheap...
Welcome Hoss, enjoy our fourm :) you can call me Blademonkey but my real name is Paul.

Last edited:
@HugoRune I collect all sorts mate. I have some with fancy Edwin Jagger handles right down to cheap disposables from Egypt, India, Pakistan and South America. It's all good. I like shaving mind but I don't get this DE stuff. I mean when I did try a DE one time it was like I took a floor sander to my bleedin (literally) face. I get the best shaves from cartridge stuff as the just glide through without any pain or irritation. I guess I can be called a propa wet shaver like because I do all the soap/brush jizz but I do like Nivea Sensitive menthol gel outta a can. That is good stuff. So yea that is the thing of it. I might like try DE later but I want smooth and no hassle and that aint what I got the last time :/

@ Hossyhossyguy - So you tried one shave and gave it? Well, I have to admit it takes more than one shave for most, and certainly some novices make common errors. Most who learn a DE find that the shave result is better (smoother) and the shave experience is better as well (enjoyable rather than a chore). The second would not apply to you, since you already enjoy your shave, but the first might. (It's not uncommon that a man who switches from carts to DE will hear comments from significant other/children/grandchildren that his face is not so scratchy. So it can happen that the shave is better.

So it may be that your perhaps jumped to a conclusion based on your initial experience. I didn't think much of the game Go after playing my first game, but it turned out that, once I learned a little more, I like it a lot.

Obviously, you should shave the way that pleases you most, but in terms of objective fact, it's not unusual at all for the DE result to be better. And my three-pass DE shave takes 5 minutes, so with practice it doesn't take all that much time.

At the end of the day what matters is whether or not you are happy with your shave. I personally prefer the shave I get with a DE razor, and I feel that it was worth a bit of effort in learning how to use one. I don't subscribe to the concept that it is "shaving like a man" or anything like that. I think that your attitude to DE shaving is pretty close to my attitude to straight razors, in that I am really not interested at the moment.

If you want to give it a go then you can get plenty of good advice here, but I don't think that there is anything wrong in preferring cartridges. There is still plenty of discussion on brushes, soaps and creams that will probably be of interest to you.

My first de was a cheapy from eBay n hacked my face to bits. Granted I used feather blades with it, not the best for your first try lol. I have also used the wilkinson sword classic which was so mild I still had have my stubble left! So not an advert for de shaving but as soon as I tried my Edwin Jagger DE89 I was hooked. By far the best shave I have ever had and if you get the right blade for your skin no nicks or irritation at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Hossyhossyguy:

It's certainly true that the quality of the razor as well as the choice of blade makes a big difference. Getting a good razor—one that's comfortable in feel (and does not tend to nick even if used with imperfect technique) and efficient in performance makes a major difference, and such razors need not be expensive (though of course they can be). Three examples: Dorco PL-602 (a few dollars—check eBay), RazoRock Old Type ($15 in US and Canada, though shipping is additional), and the Parker 24C/26C (around $30 and available from most vendors who offer Parker razors). As Nick1837 mentions, the Edwin Jagger razor is also excellent, though for me just a smidge less comfortable and a smidge less efficient than the three I mentioned—but there's some YMMV even with razors. (All the Edwin Jagger razors use the same head; prices vary by handle.)

I'm not sure what you consider "psycho babble," since I think I have links that substantiate any statements I made on psychological effects, but I'm always happy to answer questions and explain things—which, in fact, is why I wrote the guide. So as you read it, let me know if you would like me to clarify anything—indeed, I particularly want to know parts or passages that are unclear or that raise questions the book doesn't answer (and, of course, any errors you spot).

Back
Top Bottom