Yardley Shaving Soap

Any of you Chaps or Chapesses know of a Shaving soap that smells like the Old Yardley Shaving Soap From the 1950's...The stuff in the wooden tub.......?

My Grandfather used to use it back when I was a kid....I can smell it in my minds eye....but can't find anything even close to that smell in reality............

Blyth Spirit of this Parish as recently been using some T&H soap, and he commented on an SOTD post, and I quote:

"I have used this soap for four days now and I think it is most excellent; very reminiscent of vintage Yardley soap."

My nose has not been close to either the Yardley or the T&H, so I can't comment from personal experience.

Ian

D R Harris Lavender is a nice tallow based shaving soap that many experienced shavers have compared to Yardley. I've never tried Yardley so can offer no opinion.

Thanks all....As I remember it ..it was a soft Lavender smell with cedarwood ...though maybe that was from the box it came in.......The scent certainly lingered in the box...because I used to keep my marbles in there.

I'll have a try at some of the lavender's on offer.....see if I can find something close...the T&H and the DR Harris sound promising.......I'll keep you posted.....

The things we do in the name of Nostalgia.

I fancy trying it but it's a bit pricier than I was expecting.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181116065202
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181116069023
I'm sure for that sort of money I'll be disappointed whatever. The first one was only 80g. I know Martin de Candre is about that price but I known for certain how good that is now (although still very pricey IMHO). For an unknown, with rhe Yardley i don't know what anybody's top bid will be; could end up costing me much more.

I'd be tempted to go for D R Harris Lavender if it is similar. Can get it for about £20 delivered. But I'll still wonder...

GOLDCREST said:
Nishy said:
I think I have some yardley soaps in my shop

Surely you jest Sir.....Yardley Shaving soap?...Tell us more

will check and upload photos for you today sir

ok having checked I have sold the few yardley soaps I orginially stocked, yet fear not! I have ordered some mens citrus and wood soap I can also get a few others from yardley (50 lines to be accurate) but no sign of the shaving soap range

Citrus and wood arrived this afternoon a lovely scent alas no shaving soap may have to melt this down and add ingredients to transform to a shaving soap

Nishy said:
Citrus and wood arrived this afternoon a lovely scent alas no shaving soap may have to melt this down and add ingredients to transform to a shaving soap

Hi there,

The vintage Yardley shaving soap that many people covet was probably made through the 1980s, when it was then discontinued. There was a number of incarnations leading up to the last version, but I think all of em had a lavender fragrance. I may be off a bit as to the last time this was sold new in the stores, but I know it was a while back. It always came in a wooden bowl with various labels, depending on the vintage.

Martin

Hi Martin I have no clue with regards to its origins apart from understanding that its an established brand the soaps I had previous were all lavender in the shop we order direct from alliance healthcare and they seem to have stock of the yardley or more correctly old stock of yardley but no shaving soap

Nishy said:
Hi Martin I have no clue with regards to its origins apart from understanding that its an established brand the soaps I had previous were all lavender in the shop we order direct from alliance healthcare and they seem to have stock of the yardley or more correctly old stock of yardley but no shaving soap

Thats a Great pity....But at least I can still smell that wonderful soft scent in my minds eye,.... if you know what I mean.

have no fear Nishy is here im on to the company (Lornamead) seeing if they can supply stock to my Pharmacy I will keep you updated with results

Back
Top Bottom