XPEC or L'occitane

Hey guys,

I decided to do a little shaving products shopping spree. The last 3 years i used only one razor (Merkur 1904) one brush (Kent bk4) and one soap (MdC)
So, i got myself a new razor - ATT S1, a hard soap - Dr Harris and a croap- TFS.
So to complete my shopping spree i need a cream. Which one should be: XPEC and L'occitane ?
I have small doubt abut l'occitane: There i a store near me that have only one tub left that expires next year, that means it's made a few years ago so i'm not sure if it's the new formula...

Mr_Smartepants said:
Unless you have access to either Xpec or L'occitane, both would be expensive.
I would recommend La Toja cream. Fantastic performer and dirt cheap.

Thanks for the advice.
I know they are quite expensive, but for the next few years i will not buy anything shave related :angel:

Dobbo25 said:
Bechet45 said:
Xpec Original - hands down! King of the Creams.

+1 on the Xpec original but I'm sure youll agree Carl, Murdock Avalon shave cream isn't that far behind. :D

By George, you're right! I'd forgotten that, I'll dig mine out. Well worth considering, Catalin. T'ain't Xpec though, with its performance and learn to love scent.

Catalin said:
Hey guys,

So to complete my shopping spree i need a cream. Which one should be: XPEC and L'occitane ?
Hi there,

Carl is right about the original scented XPEC version being excellent. Current incarnation reviews are all over the board, but I get the feeling it's not the same animal as the old stuff. I would be cautious about buying without trying it, although it gets mostly very positive feedback. You should try and get a sample of the current product to see how the scent hits you. That's partly what you're paying for so it would be nice if you liked it. I understand the new stuff is fairly potent. Heh, what Carl didn't mention is the very slim odds of ever finding an old tub for sale.

I can't recall what the Cade cream is supposed to be like. Probably no big deal if nothing is coming to mind. I know the soap is nothing special to me, but you will get some arguments about that.

You wanna get an expensive top performing cream, go with Penhaligons. Once again the scent is built into the cost and the performance is very good. Great looking thick lather. Another one to try and sniff before purchase if possible. The Blenheim comes in that handsome glass tub.

Other choice would be Castle Forbes, except for the cedar/woody scent. That's one you need to huff before buying. Only thing with the CF is it can be a pain to lather because of how thick it is.

Martin

I forgot to mention that i am not very much interested about the scent. For example if i am going to buy XPec i wil get the unscented version.
I just want a top performing cream (slick, good cushioning) because i have a tough beard and thin skin, so i'm prone to razor burn.

Has to be XPEC. It has a nice scent, way better than most.
I have only used the new and it is fantastic. Does it say somewhere from the manufacturer that the new formulation is different?

I fully concur with "Bechet45" & "Dobbo25" with regards to Xpec shaving creams (have only used the Original) have stocked up on four (4) tubs.
and a BIG YES to Murdock (Avalon) another great shaving cream............. Slick/Cushioning, does not dry out and you need very little of the product.

Charles U.K

Prius111 said:
I fully concur with "Bechet45" & "Dobbo25" with regards to Xpec shaving creams (have only used the Original) have stocked up on four (4) tubs.
and a BIG YES to Murdock (Avalon) another great shaving cream............. Slick/Cushioning, does not dry out and you need very little of the product.

Charles U.K

You have the new or the old formula ?

The new formula is reported widely as being just as good as the old in terms of performance. The scent has changed a little but as you want the unscented, new or old makes no difference. Besides which, you ain't gonna find a pot of the old to buy unless you are extremely lucky.

I have quite a few top performing creams - XPEC, Penhaligons BB (in glass jar), Simpsons, Truefitt & hill ultimate comfort etc, and I must say that if I had to choose only one it would not be any of the above, but would be baume.be. For me, it's that good.

Nuke said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Acqua di Parma. It's another top shelf cream.

Hi there,

Almost everyone loved the AdP...the original version I mean. The reformulated one gets some mixed strange reviews, especially about the current scent, and I see some people selling their current stuff. I get the idea it ain't as good as the old version.

Yeah, that's one you would now be best trying first for that kinda cash.

L'Occitane is one of my favourites. So far I've managed to get my first 2 tubes without paying the full price. The first was via a gift card that had some unused balance left , so I only paid £10 in cash; and earlier this week I bought one for £13.50, 25% off full price.

I find it quite moisturising without always having to use any ASB.

L'Occitane CADE ASB is very good. I haven't seen the other two ASBs though - Baux, and Cedre & Oranger except on their website.

Your best bet would be to ask for a sample, and see how it goes. It's one of those love it or hate it, but then I have used other brands which have not been as good. With L'Occitane, it tends to be one of those shaving creams which does not have a specific scent, unlike almond, rose, or sandalwood for instance.

Instead, it has a lot of oils of this or that, extracts of this or that etc, so you get an overall aroma which is a combination of different ingredients. A bit like the way Truefitt and Hill No 10, or St James of London cedar wood & clarysage is, but not the same aroma.

Back
Top Bottom