Wireless Network Password

well the one i have has never let me down,watch i player on my wii and daughter connects laptop never failed as yet..if it will deffo work then pm address Adam and ill pop it in post tomorrow. :D

It's a good offer (can't beat the price :lol: ) but I'm 99% sure that Pig Cat is not on ADSL... so would be looking (probably) for a WLAN router "for cable" (since I'm guessing that's the interface that will be presented by his broadband).

I don't suppose Pig Cat's a high enough volume buyer to attract any worthwhile discount from Cisco though :ugeek: If he is, a Cisco 871W-G-A-K9 bundle would do the trick (list price is £583.26 + VAT here - $900 - dirt cheap!). Hope Pig Cat's boned up on the CLI interface of the Cisco :D

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat - remind me - you're using some sort of non-standard wireless wide area network to get your internet aren't you?

What do the internet company present you with? An ethernet socket?

There is just a cable coming down the wall from the roof that ends in a connector. This goes in to a router which has one cable going to my pc and one to a wireless jobby sending info to my laptop. I presume the connector is a male ethernet.

Thanks for the ideas chaps. Shrink, is the netgear wireless or would I need an extra box - presume this would do the job.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=114657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Sea ... pNo=114657</a><!-- m -->

Then again, I have a router already so should I just go for this?

well as you already have a working router.... you could just add a wireless access point.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=467646&CatId=283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Sea ... &CatId=283</a><!-- m -->

that would avoid you having to set up your broadband connection again, and means you can just get on with having wireless.

I think I'd better have a chat to the guy who supplies my broadband ( :lol: not many people can say that I suppose!) to see what he suggests. The problem is not his fault as I moved to him from another local supplier who sold me the kit. Looking back I think he sold me the cheapest possible stuff. He didn't give me any choice, but if he had I would almost certainly have gone for something better as I'm a great believer in getting what you pay for.

Thanks Slash for that generous offer - if I find out it will work I'll get back to you!

Pig Cat said:
This goes in to a router which has one cable going to my pc and one to a wireless jobby sending info to my laptop.

Did WiiMan look at the laptop or the desktop - if he looked at the desktop he'd have found no evidence at all of the wireless...

Tell more about the laptop - what OS is it running... we will get your WLAN details out if it kills us :lol:

shrink said:
well as you already have a working router.... you could just add a wireless access point.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=467646&CatId=283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Sea ... &CatId=283</a><!-- m -->

that would avoid you having to set up your broadband connection again, and means you can just get on with having wireless.

Ooh just spotted this. I presume this would work with my current router. Or should I take up Slash's offer?? What questions do I need to put to my ISP bloke if any? :? (still confused but slightly less so!!)

if you got a wireless access point you'd not need to know anything from your ISP... you just plug the access point into a spare ethernet socket on your existing router

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:
This goes in to a router which has one cable going to my pc and one to a wireless jobby sending info to my laptop.

Did WiiMan look at the laptop or the desktop - if he looked at the desktop he'd have found no evidence at all of the wireless...

Tell more about the laptop - what OS is it running... we will get your WLAN details out if it kills us :lol:

SHE (her typing was very foxy) started off on the pc but moved to the laptop. She got some details that included IP, Subnet mask, Default router and DNS 1 & 2. I put the info in to the Wii as she said but it still couldn't connect. If you want to you can connect to my laptop remotely - I don't mind, in fact if you think you can help I would be amazingly grateful. Might even manage a trip to the dodgier areas of Ipswich for you (sorry, private joke!).

shrink said:
if you got a wireless access point you'd not need to know anything from your ISP... you just plug the access point into a spare ethernet socket on your existing router

Well the Wii lady did suggest my equipment was the problem and I needed something more up to date...

yeah well the access point will give you that... its just a way to add wireless functionality to an existing system, and it's the thing your wii will connect to.

I have a feeling your already wireless as you said you connect a laptop?
when freind tried to connect to your wireless did it find it? just wanted a password?
if so i would say its just the wireless network name and password you need..

slash said:
I have a feeling your already wireless as you said you connect a laptop?
when freind tried to connect to your wireless did it find it? just wanted a password?
if so i would say its just the wireless network name and password you need..

Yes, that's what seems to be the problem. I thought I had the network password / key which I then put in to the Wii. It accepted it (as opposed to me just trying 'password' or '123') and got to the stage where it tested the connection. At that point it gave an error message. :roll:

most likely because your wireless router uses security that's too old for the Wii

most modern devices want to be using WPA-2 and its many variants. Older networks which should in theory work fine, just refuse to happen on modern wireless devices. For instance, i cannot connect my phone to a WEP or old WPA network.

OK, so perhaps the only solution is to buy an up to date piece of kit then. Ah, but does this mean Slash's wireless router should be fine?? I shall PM him to discuss...

what broadband provider do you use?

if it virgin/NTL/telewest/cable you'll need a different kind of router. Simply called a wireless Broadband router

if its based on a BT telephone line (e.g. tiscali/o2/sky broadband etc) then you need a wireless broadband modem / router

or as ive said before, you can just add a wireless access point to what you already have.

Back
Top Bottom