Wireless Network Password

I have just bought a Wii. It can connect to the internet to give lots of extra features, a particularly good one being the BBC iPlayer by the look of things. Unfortunately I have no idea how to connect it to my wireless router. It gives the option of manually typing in the details and I fear it will be after the password that keeps my network secure from neighbours and people sitting in cars with laptops outside my house. My laptop will connect wirelessly and does this automatically, but when a friend brought their laptop round and wanted to connect they couldn't because I don't know the password. Somebody set it up for me ages ago and I don't know it.

Anyway, what a rambling question. Put more simply, how do I find out my wireless password and if I can't can I make a new one??? :? :oops:

More info required

On Vista I can select "Network" then right click on the router to get to the "Device Web Page" I then enter the router password which would generally be "admin" or similar (unless you changed it) I then can view the WEP key under wireless security settings.

Some ISP's supply the router and don't "allow" users the passwords to access settings (Sky for one) but in that case the password/passkey is usually on a sticker on the box, a James's is .

OK Jeltz I'm on Windows 7 and can't seem to find where you are saying. I'll take a look at the box in the morning and see if what is on there could be used for the Wii settings.

Actually have I asked the wrong question? Is it the ISP password I need here?

You'll need a USB key for this...

Windows 7 (and I think Vista): Control Panel -> Network & Sharing -> Manage Wireless Settings -> Double click on the network name -> Copy Network profile to USB drive

Let it happen then on the USB drive in directory SMRTNTKY is a file called WSETTING.TXT

Contents will be like this:

Code:
Wireless Network Settings

Print this document and store it in a safe place for future reference.  You may need these settings to add additional computers and devices to your network.

Wireless Settings

Network Name (SSID): 3Wireless-Modem-4992
Network Key (WEP/WPA Key): The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, but got shot by the twat on the horse
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type: WPAPSK
Data Encryption Type: TKIP
Connection Type: ESS
Key Index: 

To enable File and Printer Sharing on this computer, run the Network Setup Wizard.

To set up your Internet connection, follow the instructions from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Network key & Authentication type are the two bits you care about :)

hunnymonster said:
You'll need a USB key for this...

Windows 7 (and I think Vista): Control Panel -> Network & Sharing -> Manage Wireless Settings -> Double click on the network name -> Copy Network profile to USB drive

Let it happen then on the USB drive in directory SMRTNTKY is a file called WSETTING.TXT

Contents will be like this:

Code:
Wireless Network Settings

Print this document and store it in a safe place for future reference.  You may need these settings to add additional computers and devices to your network.

Wireless Settings

Network Name (SSID): 3Wireless-Modem-4992
Network Key (WEP/WPA Key): The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, but got shot by the twat on the horse
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type: WPAPSK
Data Encryption Type: TKIP
Connection Type: ESS
Key Index: 

To enable File and Printer Sharing on this computer, run the Network Setup Wizard.

To set up your Internet connection, follow the instructions from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Network key & Authentication type are the two bits you care about :)

edit: You won't need a USB key for this:

Open a command prompt:

>netsh wlan export profile "<WLAN name here>" key=clear

It'll create an XML file in the current directory.....

edit *.xml (you can do that)

The line you're looking for is <keymaterial>

Bit long winded but If you can't see it on the bottom or the back of your router, then on any computer that is on your home network, go into internet Explorer or firefox or whatever browser you use and just enter your Routers Admin IP Address where you normally see the Web Address of the Page you are on, so for a BT Home Hub instead of say <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk</a><!-- m --> you just enter 192.168.1.254 and press enter

Common Ones

BT Home Hub IP Address: 192.168.1.254
Sky Router IP Address 192.168.0.1
Orange Router IP Address 192.168.1.1

Your router should not have a password to enter the Settings Page, only one i know that will ask for a password from Default is Sky, and that is set to:

Username = admin
Password = password

Once you are in the settings page look for wireless settings, then look for wireless key, /WPA key/ WEP key etc

Or if your not sure of what you are doing, what you can do to make life even easier, go to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.teamviewer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.teamviewer.com</a><!-- m --> and dowload the software then one of the kind chaps like Hunnymonster can remotely connect to your PC, and your Network and find your wireless key for you

Try calling your router manufacturer to reset your password to something easier to remember

Then try calling the maker of your Wii to help setup wifi to connect the devices

Blades

OK I've been chatting online to a Wii representative who, after some time of accessing my computer, has concluded that I don't have an actual wireless router, or not a decent modern one that works with a Wii anyway. Can you recommend me one that is not too pricey and will do the job please?

yep.. sure can...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=118115&CatId=1217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Sea ... CatId=1217</a><!-- m -->

that one....

i work with an IT consultancy business, and its the only router we bother giving people, unless they want to spend money on a higher end draytek model. They never let us down. I wouldnt recommend anything else

Adam i have a brand new router its a D-LINK DSL-2640R BROADBAND WIRELESS G ADSL2+ ROUTER If any of the tech guys know if it will be ok for you,its yours mate still in box.

Back
Top Bottom