Windows 7 ? any good ?

I never understood Microsofts reason for the style of windows 8 , i would love to know how many companys use it or other users who need productivity , the wife has it on her laptop , and its just so much hard work , to do just the simplest things !! , i did see a program recently where the topic arose about win 8 in the workplace and the boss said they had it on one comp to try it out with the staff , in the end they all agreed it should be put in the foyer for the kids to play with !!!!

I run Windows 8 on my main computer, I wouldn't go back to 7 now. It does take some getting used to if you are a regular Windows user, but once you have made the transition you never go back.

What surprised me is how quick Startisback was released, with every release of Windows one of the first questions is how to put the UI back to the way it was. I have tired Win8 and it offers me nothing functionally that 7 does not, the enhancements are there but I have no need for them.....yet..... I don't need ARM support, don't run multiple monitors, the charms feature is only good on a touchscreen and I am staying away from the cloud part of the OS and store.

Don't get me wrong 8 is a great O/S what I do like about 8 right now is the improved resource handling, it also runs faster and does seem to use less battery. However my in 7 machine is not struggling nor am I hitting functional barriers either, I am sure if I switched I would be used to it in no time but it does not offer me enough tangible benefits as a user to motivate me to switch right now.

I will have to use 8 if I want to use the latest RSAT tools to manage Server 2012, this kinda sucks but it was the bulldozer I expected, you could almost put money on that they will not release the latest tools for 7. Thankfully I know powershell well enough and my day to day tasks do not make 8 a priority.

windows 8 picked me usb 3 card up....ill give it that...it horses for courses

windows 8 works fine as does 7 as does ubuntu as does mint...etc

Nice one, it is a pain to have to go grab drivers for these things as we had to in some iterations of the O/S.

By work pace is just completing the roll out of 7 which shows how far behind some corporates are.

We're just finishing off the image for rolling out 8 - unfortunately we want to go to 2013 as well but the Software dudes are lagging and so we wait!

Drivers are just part of life - just because it all gets picked up on install doesn't mean it all works to the best of it's ability.

Re: RE: Windows 7 ? any good ?

Lose the beard said:
I run Windows 8 on my main computer, I wouldn't go back to 7 now. It does take some getting used to if you are a regular Windows user, but once you have made the transition you never go back.

I'm using win 8 on my home recording machine, and the kindest thing I can find to say about it is that you can mostly ignore the tablet-focused metro stuff after the first couple of clicks. What an I missing? Why wouldn't you go back?

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but I think the return to a modal one-app-at-a-time approach on a proper computer is very odd. Hurrah for the desktop.

My work machines are still xp. They'd need upgrading to run 7 comfortably - the newer boxes mostly do have 7 on them.

i dont like 8 for one reason

they made it so they can have one version for phones,tablets,pc's etc

if you try to do to many things you do nothing well.

win7 has programs etc that offer the same functionality of win8

the new features are no better than what you can add using third party programs.

the ribbon interface is ok but you can do a lot of that if you know the shortcuts and if you want to make a script to copy loads of files you can do it by making one in notepad using something like robocopy,xcopy etc

I think TIFKAM (the interface formerly known as Metro) is a load of bollocks to be honest.

I've had Windows 8 since it came out, and whilst the underlying functionality is good (it's fast and seems pretty robust so far) the user experience is terrible. One of my mates described it as a sports car without a steering wheel.

I've given up and installed Start8 and also run a batch file at startup which takes me straight into the desktop.

I don't know what Microsoft are playing at trying to foist TIFKAM on non-touchscreen users, but I really hope they see sense with Blue and enable it to be turned off. There's no way I'm rolling it out to my users as it is ATM.

I understand the unified installation package, that makes perfect sense. But I agree there should be a selection during installation for a touchscreen centric UI or for a desktop variety that suits a traditional mouse and keyboard environment better.

I am not an Apple fanboy but they got the balance right with iOS and OSX, they need to be different to maximise the usability at least for now. I do see iOS and OSX converging at some point in the future and the mac forums are awash with howls of complaints every time a new OSX version shows any sign of heading toward iOS but it is going to happen sooner or later.

I just think it is too much of a jump too soon this should not put the OP of either OS, both are good and one a single PC customisation is possible to make it look and feel how you like it.

Back
Top Bottom