Windows 7 ? any good ?

Hi , after getting a new "old computer" after about 10 years from my last upgrade , well after setting up the new computer , it did dawn on me that one day im going to have to upgrade the OS from Xp Home , already theres some programs i cant use with Xp ie Lightroom 4 , did start to look at Vista , but that doesnt seem to get good feedback , im not going for windows 8 , had a go of that and its not for me , so that leaves Windows 7 ,

i wont be upgrading soon , as the costs for it , still hold a high price , even 2nd hand , but i would like to know what peoples thoughts are of it !

Once you get used to it, it's OK - I don't like the way MS try to make us use our computers their way with ever more hidden files. For a plug-and-play approach it's fine but tedious if you like to get into your computer.

Re: RE: Windows 7 ? any good ?

Bechet45 said:
Once you get used to it, it's OK - I don't like the way MS try to make us use our computers their way with ever more hidden files. For a plug-and-play approach it's fine but tedious if you like to get into your computer.

Compared to apples OS, MS are positively open.
On topic, windows 7 is easily the best windows to date. I loved XP, but now it feels clunky and old when I have to go back to it.

Hi , thanks for the feedback , it looks like Win 7 , is the way to go eventually :)

I like the sound of Linux in the sense that its free , but think it would be a step to far for my ageing brain to cope with , im even struggling to find out , just simple things about it !!!!

Ive been into computers for 23 + years , ive always built and upgraded my own , but i seem to have got to an age where my brain is just refusing to it take anymore LOL :(

Try Linux Mint and see how you get on. Its not much different to windows these days. I'm using Windows 8 and like it although I did install something called Classic Shell to replace the start menu that Microsoft saw fit to get shot of.

If you decide that windows new offering is not for you I would urge you to have a look at UBUNTU
Yet another version of Linux that is really easy to use and set up. If you click the link above you can try it out online to give you a feel for it. You can also download it onto a USB memory stick and run it from there instead of installing it on your pc. Then you can use it alongside windows to see if you like it. If you do, you can then install it on a dual boot setup and keep your windows system, or you can get rid of windows altogether.
It is great on older/lower spec machines and you'll most likely find your system runs faster. There are few, if any security threats so you don't really need to run antivirus software that hogs your computers resources. There are also no drivers to download and install as almost everything just works!
If you do run into problems there is a wealth of information on various forums with some very clever people waiting to help you. I really would recommend you having a try of it.

[attachment=7217]gotto agree with daz....if you do install duel boot (not a typo...you may end up fighting which one to keep) ..make sure windows is already on...otherwise its a grub fix

there is also a kde version more suited to a windows user..but ubuntu is nice...mint imho is nicer

but worth a go on an older machine like stated....and on laptops its a breeze...no drivers to find as it usually sorts itself

Hmm i do like the sound of no anti virus/drivers etc as that is a major slowdown with windows , but think im to long in the tooth now to change , also what about all the windows programs i use ?

Personally I think that Windows 7 is one of the best operating systems I have used. Its not as good as Linux based systems I have used though. I do like Windows 7 I do a lot of PC gaming and it does exactly what it should, if you install the right software and aren't silly on the internet or don't have children accessing the machine then you will be fine.

Windows 7 is fantastic I must say. My other half has windows 8 amd it is a nightmare. Have got a Linux mint set up on a laptop and run Linux the raspberry pi. But back to original point. 7 is reliable, relatively quick and stable.

mrlimbo said:
Hmm i do like the sound of no anti virus/drivers etc as that is a major slowdown with windows , but think im to long in the tooth now to change , also what about all the windows programs i use ?

you can run a windows elulator in linux, allowing you to keep and use your software, or run a dual boot system and you will have the best of both worlds.

Windows 7 is a cracking O/S, OEM licenses are cheaper but I expected to move the installation to a new box before I think of upgrading to whatever comes after Windows 8 so I bought the retail version. I will hang onto to it for as long as I can, not too keen on the 8 user interface but one day we will be bulldozed into it like it or not.

Back
Top Bottom