Windows 7 ? any good ?

Big Windows Fanboi, I started with V.1 (old school, kid from a Microsoft manager, my first PC was an IBM 5150, I've played Kings Quest 1 and written my own stuff back in the days on either the IBM or an Atari 800XL, we were copying programs on a double tape deck man!)
Up to 6-7 years ago I was fine with Windows, then Vista came out, which was at the moment I had to buy a new computer.
Vista had so much DRM built in it and bad publicity, and was a shitty piece of work.
The choice was either get a Windows PC and hope for the best, or try Mac os X again. (I had used mac os on occasion, but version 7-9 which were utter shite!)

I decided to give Apple a try, bought a Macbook (2006), and now own an iMac (2011), iPhone and AppleTV (2013).
But I also own a Asus 11.6" netbook, which is my messing around computer when I'm not at home, and for support issues where a windows environment is needed.
The Asus came with Windows 7, and a free windows 8 upgrade when it came out.
I'm no stranger to tinkering, and I personally, Windows 7 is great. I think Microsoft gets 50% right. Every other version is good, I really tried windows 8, for a few months, but I just can't get used to it. I installed a thrid party start menu, skipped the Metro interface, you name it, I tried to honestly like it.
Yesterday I reformatted to netbook, and it's back on 7.

I do a lot of freelance IT support besides my "normal" job, and although Os X is not for everyone, the drop in support calls of those I've switched is amazing.

Now, moving to Linux, and the flavor of the day/month, don't get me wrong, Linux has its uses, and is a very good OS, it just still lacks support and drivers for some hardware, it still can't run most windows programs without some tinkering (I know about wine).
So although Linux is fine if a) you just need it for web/mail, b) have vanilla hardware, c) don't mind tinkering.

it's been said over and over, "Linux is ready for the desktop", and having been playing with it for the last 15 years, I can honestly say it's is getting there, but (unfortunately) we're not there yet. (There are still moments you need to pull out Vi and edit config files)

So, my advice, if you have a lot of windows programs, windows 7, if you can afford it, a Mac. (expensive short term, but good ROI), if you're running older hardware and just want to recycle a computer for browsing and mail (and not afraid t tinker a bit if needed), Linux.

And for the little anecdote, my dad, who has left MS quite a few years ago, but swore by Dell and all they made, has just switched to a Mac Mini, he felt like a traitor for a few weeks, but the doctor says he's allright now, and you couldn't get him back on a PC.

M.

(sorry for the long rant!)

I've been on Mac for a while now and when I look at the windows machines and think how much time I wasted keeping the things going and up to date.

What I like about the mac is it has all you need straight out of the box.
Iphoto is a great I have over 5000 photos and videos that are sorted and easy to find what I'm looking for.
Itunes is fine for me I have an ipod i use in the car so it works for me.

Brought apps
Pages costs much less than MS word but is as good I think better than word. The online tutorial videos made everything very easy to learn and I can do things with pages that I just was never able to do with word.

The good thing about windows machines is you have lots of choice low starting costs and ms supports pretty much everything.
The bad thing about windows is because it supports everything it's not possible to test properly all configurations of software hardware. Not all software writers work to the same standard so there is a lot of shoddy software out there that will cause problems and slow down you machine. Even the big name hardware and peripheral manufacturers push out some crappy drivers that are not tested at all because they know in a few months a newer model will be coming out (no I'm not going to name which printer company springs to mind)

Apple has a small line up makes the hardware and the software and can do much more through testing so they tend to have fewer problems.
You are limited on choice and if you want more ram apple will stab you in the face for the upgrade, but you can get round this if you do it yourself much cheaper.

So to conclude if you want a quiet life surf the net, edit pictures, listen to music email etc and have very few hassles get a mac.

If you want to fiddle inside the box inside the os and enjoy updating antivirus and looking for the latest graphics card so you can play the latest 3d shoot'em up get a pc.

The good thing is you have a choice that suits your personality.

dont have any issues with my win pc.

if you know what your doing you get no issues.

backup to external drive every so often so when pc dies ill just replace broken part and restore image

(data stored on seperate drive)

You need to upgrade soon because all support ends for XP in April 2014, which means no more updates.

I work for an IT dept and I'm in the middle of a 500 user roll-out of Windows 7, upgrading from XP, many of whom's tech saviness extends no further than flicking their fingers about on an iPad. So it's a bit of a headache but Windows 7 as a whole is great.

Microsoft Operating Systems have been on an 'every other' basis since XP. XP was solid and complete, Vista was rubbish, Windows 7 is solid and complete, Windows 8 has been a flop.

As a comparison to XP - Windows 7 is faster. It's a broad statement to make but you will get better boot times and quicker, more fluid operation on a comparable PC compared to having XP installed. It has instant searching so you can type anything in the start menu and it will find things very quickly, a good quick launch icon system next to the start button with program history for quick navigation and it is industry standard so everything is compatible pretty much.

I wouldn't go down the Linux route if you aren't enthusiastic about computers and willing to learn but if you do then Mint or Ubuntu are very good user friendly distributions to try.

shanky887614 said:
dont have any issues with my win pc.

if you know what your doing you get no issues.

backup to external drive every so often so when pc dies ill just replace broken part and restore image

(data stored on separate drive)

Well depends what you mean by know what you are doing.

Your average user may be able install/uninstall software, browse the web send an email, edit a picture.

but anything else will be a problem how many will have used msconfig in XP, know how to edit the registry or know what a proxy server is.

or how to back up on to an external drive this is something very important.

Being a mac user backup is very easy plug a drive in and tell time machine to backup on to it, which is only a few clicks on the mouse. Also what about security how many average users know to not log in with administrator privileges and do all their every day stuff as a standard user.

SuperChrome said:
As a comparison to XP - Windows 7 is faster. It's a broad statement to make but you will get better boot times and quicker, more fluid operation on a comparable PC compared to having XP installed. It has instant searching so you can type anything in the start menu and it will find things very quickly, a good quick launch icon system next to the start button with program history for quick navigation and it is industry standard so everything is compatible pretty much.

With reference to speed an newer version of windows compared to an older version should be faster. But compared to non windows OS's is controversial, being a Mac user I have my own opinions on that but this thread is not for that sort of discussion.

with the instant searching was this introduced with 7 or vista? because on the mac OSX it's been part of the OS for at least 8 years in the form of spotlight.

Guys please keep on topic, I can't face the thought of another mac vs pc debate

when you look at 7 it os very similar to vista,xp,95etc

they all have a startmenu and an internet browser.

it can be a little anoying sometimes thanks to the user acount control but this can be disabled

Back
Top Bottom