Williams Mug Shaving soap

Hi all,

I've been given an unused box of Williams mug shaving soap. Doesn't really smell of anything, a bit soapy I suppose.

Anyone got comment on it? If it's not anything special I might not use and put it in a passing future box.

Hi all,

I've been given an unused box of Williams mug shaving soap. Doesn't really smell of anything, a bit soapy I suppose.

Anyone got comment on it? If it's not anything special I might not use and put it in a passing future box.
Its a weird one, it can be hard to get l lather. it seems to dry out really quick but if you get it right it really is slick. but for me not good enough of a soap for scent or lather to be worth the work it needs.

I have, for the love of me, tried to lather it so many times and only once (1, one, numero uno, ein) have I succeeded to lather it to a proper shave ready lather.

I've given up. Like the scent though...

To me it isn't really worth using with all the options we have. If it was the last soap on Earth, and I had to choose between it and foam in a can? I'd be all over it.

Admittedly when I first used Williams as a teen it was the old formula, but even with the new I have had decent luck when:

Don't load your brush and go to face or bowl. Hydrate the hell out of the puck and then put it in a mug or bowl and build your lather right on top of the puck. That is the only way I have gotten it rich enough to not disappear on me.

some say grinding it up actually makes it better.

some say grinding it, and using it as a shave powder is best.

its middle of the road. the NEWEST stuff on the store shelf right now, is different then the stuff that was being sold last summer.

Hi all,

If it's not anything special I might not use and put it in a passing future box.

It is not anything special. It can be lathered but it takes more effort than a soap should. If you are looking to scrape the bottom of the shaving soap barrel, then you have done it with williams. Use arko as the scent is similar'ish but arko is easy to use. I found williams to dry my skin out but ymmv. Some say arko dries them out. If you choose to lather williams, soak it in hot water first, load it like you hate it, and add water as you go.

Back
Top Bottom