Will Wiggo win the Giro d'Italia?

lighterness said:
Lots of commentary going on about the team Sky riding by the numbers.. It's still an interesting game, and the outcome is unpredictable. There are riders: Contidor, Nibali, Rodrigues, who are just incredible, and all it takes is a good day in the saddle, and the Giro can be taken by any one of the top riders.
I'd love Wiggo to take the Giro, because it's the Giro, and I'd really like Froomy to get his shot at the TdF. He's such a good rider, and it would be huge for Sky to allow him to win. He may opt out of the team if he is asked to support another Wiggo win.
As for Cadel, he has had his day I'm afraid. He aged quickly over the past 2 years and it would have been best to retire while he was on top. I guess he is hoping to come out on top, but I fear that there are superior riders out there, including TJ his teammate.. As in the TdF last year, TJ took the gap, I think this year he won't hold back, and he just seems so much stronger than last year.
I watch the Giro, because it is just fantastic to watch, and possibly as great an event as the more famous TdF.. Please don't all shout at me at once!!
I wish Wiggo all the best in winning the Giro.. and Froomy the TdF.
BTW, does anyone know what happened with Wiggo and the razor? He has lost his sidies. Quel dommage!
Sorry, didn't see your post until now and very good points made.
I also enjoy the giro better, its more exciting,narrower roads, steeper inclines,longer stages,cobbles,dirt roads-it's all good:icon_razz:

BAAAAD DAY FOR WIGGO TODAY!:icon_cry2:
I think he is going to have to go like a train in both TT's now just to keep himself in contention.
I think Evans and Hesjedal are the bigger worries, rather than Nibali now as they are both competent TT'ers.
Oh well, the next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting.

Bad luck with the puncture :icon_sad:
I think at this point he would be hoping to be a minute ahead not behind!
Guess we will see how much he has improved in the mountains?
Least we had a British stage winner, well done Alex Dowsett :icon_razz:

Rebec911 said:
Bad luck with the puncture :icon_sad:
I think at this point he would be hoping to be a minute ahead not behind!
Guess we will see how much he has improved in the mountains?
Least we had a British stage winner, well done Alex Dowsett :icon_razz:
Yep,Well done Dowsett!
Mrs Grunter has just pointed out to me that he needs to grow his sideburns back then his strength will come back.
Nibali did well today but ordinarily Wiggo should be gaining a hell of a lot more than 11secs.

Paul_D said:
Good ride by Nibali in the Time Trial. It's looking difficult for Wiggins.

Yes, Nibali had a blinder today!
Unless Nibali falls off and breaks a bone I think it's over for Wiggins:icon_sad:
He might be able to pull the 30 odd secs back from Evans in the mountains IF he's back on form to gain 2nd.
We shall see... but at least it's interesting.

Not really sure why Wiggo is struggling so badly on the descents, can't remember it being a problem in last years TDF!
May just be due to the poor weather and lack of confidence! Here's hoping things improve in the second week.
Team Astana was very impressive today though!

Rebec911 said:
Not really sure why Wiggo is struggling so badly on the descents, can't remember it being a problem in last years TDF!
May just be due to the poor weather and lack of confidence! Here's hoping things improve in the second week.
Team Astana was very impressive today though!

I'm hoping for no rain and sunny days for the next 2 weeks and then he might start descending properly, although Nibali descends like he has a screw loose.
Interesting interview though today when he stated he was frustrated due to been in the best condition of his life at the mo but admitted he descended like a girl after his crash.
Unless Nibali crashes out I can't see Wiggo catching him, he doesn't have the explosive power to shoot off uphill and create a time gap a la Contador (although I would be very very happy to be proved wrong!).
Nibali is also in fantastic form.
I have to say though this first week as been the best opening Grand Tour week that I remember since I started watching them in the mid nineties.

Fido said:
Isn't it sad that someone being in fantastic form makes one wonder how?
It is a puzzle:huh:

By the way Fido, you always seem to be up very very early.Are you doing the natural sleep pattern-bed when dark arise when daybreaks?:icon_biggrin:

Grunter said:
Fido said:

By the way Fido, you always seem to be up very very early.Are you doing the natural sleep pattern-bed when dark arise when daybreaks?:icon_biggrin:

I don't work, kept man, but I still get up early. After years of early starts it becomes just how your body clock works. Also being house husband it means I can get a lot done before the kids get up. It's nice a quiet and a good time to read the news and have a coffee too.

Northam Saint said:
Grunter said:
Fido said:

I don't work, kept man, but I still get up early. After years of early starts it becomes just how your body clock works. Also being house husband it means I can get a lot done before the kids get up. It's nice a quiet and a good time to read the news and have a coffee too.
I know this feeling- the calm before the storm....

Game over for Wiggo I'm afraid:icon_cry2:
I can see Team Sky favouring Uran now as he seems to be in much better form than Wiggins at the moment!
Guess we will see how it plays out.

Rebec911 said:
Game over for Wiggo I'm afraid:icon_cry2:
I can see Team Sky favouring Uran now as he seems to be in much better form than Wiggins at the moment!
Guess we will see how it plays out.

You beat me!:icon_cheesygrin:
Yep, no way he can make the time up barring a miracle.
I can't honestly believe he seriously thinks he's in the form of his life.
After this stage I suspect (hope) he will drop all the pretence and mind games, and concentrates on his cycling and getting his form back.
or the alternative is;
he is on good form but all the other teams have taken on board Sky's training/preparation ethos over the winter and improved leaps and bounds:icon_surprised:
Although Froome/Porte have been going great guns so far this year.

Back
Top Bottom