Will Wiggo win the Giro d'Italia?

I will be fighting for control of the remote the next 3 weeks watching this avidly.
The organisers have added more time trial distance which will suit Wiggo but traditionally the mountain stages are longer and have steeper gradients than the Tour de France which he's not brilliant on. I just hope he beats Nibali- I've never really warmed to him.
If Wiggo wins or goes very well it will make the leadership issue with Froome in Le Tour very interesting.

Jack Force said:
Cavendish is touted for a stage win today as the route is as 'flat as a pizza' according to one of the riders :icon_razz:
Yeah, a comment other than from myself!:icon_razz:
Are you watching the Giro or did you do the wonderful neighbourly,good forum person thing and comment to stop myself ricocheting around this thread all by myself?
Notice I asked an open question so you feel obligated to reply!:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
Cav did it today,his 2nd stage win so far this tour.

All depends on how much time he gains on the two time-trial stages! The first is on Saturday so we will get a better idea then.
Lots of mountain stages still to come though!
Well done Cav, another great stage win!!
These sprinters are either very brave or very stupid :icon_razz: Scares the crap out of me watching them!

Rebec911 said:
All depends on how much time he gains on the two time-trial stages! The first is on Saturday so we will get a better idea then.
Lots of mountain stages still to come though!
Well done Cav, another great stage win!!
These sprinters are either very brave or very stupid :icon_razz: Scares the crap out of me watching them!

Yep, 2 good time Trials and he stays upright I think he will. I can't see Nibali or Hesjedal gaining enough time in the mountains, infact I think he will not let them ride away from him. I'm a Cadel fan but don't think he has the legs uphill anymore.
Not just the sprinters, I'm always amazed at the skill of the Peleton, I get twitchy riding behind a couple of mates at 15mph:icon_rolleyes:

Grunter said:
Jack Force said:
Cavendish is touted for a stage win today as the route is as 'flat as a pizza' according to one of the riders :icon_razz:
Yeah, a comment other than from myself!:icon_razz:
Are you watching the Giro or did you do the wonderful neighbourly,good forum person thing and comment to stop myself ricocheting around this thread all by myself?
Notice I asked an open question so you feel obligated to reply!:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
Cav did it today,his 2nd stage win so far this tour.

I'll take a passing if not an active interest in this. Enjoy watching cycling and will watch this if its on and I'm free. I'll tune into the TDF more intently when thats on, enjoyed that from years ago from the time of Lemond and Fignon. Got back into it again in the last couple of years.

Totally agree about the skills of these guys! They must really trust each other not to do something stupid when bunched up and motoring!
I am even more in awe of their descending skills!
Saw this old clip of Eddie Merckx and it really is breathtaking the speed he achieves[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/kwHK8een_dY[/video]

As usual, whenever a Brit is in the hunt for something big I'm keeping an eye on things. I tuned in today during the crash - quite a fright to see Wiggo standing around. Good to see the peleton slowing up to let others catch up. And what a great sight to see Cav at his best.

Lots of commentary going on about the team Sky riding by the numbers.. It's still an interesting game, and the outcome is unpredictable. There are riders: Contidor, Nibali, Rodrigues, who are just incredible, and all it takes is a good day in the saddle, and the Giro can be taken by any one of the top riders.
I'd love Wiggo to take the Giro, because it's the Giro, and I'd really like Froomy to get his shot at the TdF. He's such a good rider, and it would be huge for Sky to allow him to win. He may opt out of the team if he is asked to support another Wiggo win.
As for Cadel, he has had his day I'm afraid. He aged quickly over the past 2 years and it would have been best to retire while he was on top. I guess he is hoping to come out on top, but I fear that there are superior riders out there, including TJ his teammate.. As in the TdF last year, TJ took the gap, I think this year he won't hold back, and he just seems so much stronger than last year.
I watch the Giro, because it is just fantastic to watch, and possibly as great an event as the more famous TdF.. Please don't all shout at me at once!!
I wish Wiggo all the best in winning the Giro.. and Froomy the TdF.
BTW, does anyone know what happened with Wiggo and the razor? He has lost his sidies. Quel dommage!

Fido said:
As usual, whenever a Brit is in the hunt for something big I'm keeping an eye on things. I tuned in today during the crash - quite a fright to see Wiggo standing around. Good to see the peleton slowing up to let others catch up. And what a great sight to see Cav at his best.

Thats something I like about cycling that spirit of comradeship when there has been an unfortunate incident. They tend to slow things down so those affected can catch up.

The amount of coverage that road cycling is getting now is brilliant!
It's great to watch not only the Grand Tours but also the one day classics like the Paris-Roubaix!
Also great there is so much British involvement now:icon_razz:

I think froome will be sky number 1 for the tour, I am guessing thats why Wiggo is focusing on the Giro as his big one this season. The classics have always been on eurosport I just think the media coverage is more now we have a lot of successful brits. Long may it continue.

Back
Top Bottom