Wickhams price increase

There may be cost pressures out there.
Meanwhile I bumped into Brian of Signature soaps at the local market Yesterday, his fabulous soaps are still at the original prices so if you want a high quality artisan soap give Brian a try!
(No connection other than being a very satisfied customer!)
Cheers
Paul
Thanks for the shout out Paul. No cheque in post!!!

One thing that should be borne in mind is there are Artisan Shaving Soaps in the £40+ bracket that feature in SOTD’s in the Forum which when compared to the core UK makers are certainly not that superior (if at all ) to justify such a price differential, So when price realignments are made then maybe the relative price vis a vis quality and performance should be brought into the equation. Food for thought…..,

I dislike price increases as much as the next man, especially in times of reduced income and generally rising prices. However, when I consider the additional cost spread over the time a soap lasts me (customarily well-beyond the "Use by" period), it's not too bad. If, however, you're an adventurous type who likes to buy and try a multitude of different soaps, and then either shelve them or sell them on below purchase price, then I guess "the case is altered".

Having just shaved using his "Leodis" soap (180g tin and incredibly good value and performance), @BrianH makes some very good points indeed.

PS
No expectations of cheques.

I dislike price increases as much as the next man, especially in times of reduced income and generally rising prices. However, when I consider the additional cost spread over the time a soap lasts me (customarily well-beyond the "Use by" period), it's not too bad. If, however, you're an adventurous type who likes to buy and try a multitude of different soaps, and then either shelve them or sell them on below purchase price, then I guess "the case is altered".

Having just shaved using his "Leodis" soap (180g tin and incredibly good value and performance), @BrianH makes some very good points indeed.

PS
No expectations of cheques.
Like it, thank you. Next tub will of course be £35!!!

Standard price to everyone, but £35 to Ferrum.

Special taxes for Suffolk.
Unfair! This is a rural county, and we are mostly poor peasantry and fishermen. However, at our current local exchange rates, £35 equates to:-
two pair of Dover soles (barm skin size)
1 peck of brown shrimps (boiled)
a warp of herring (strung)
4 oz. of Suffolk Thump (wrapped)
and a kohlrabi (fresh)

which I will be happy to pay.

Unfair! This is a rural county, and we are mostly poor peasantry and fishermen. However, at our current local exchange rates, £35 equates to:-
and a kohlrabi (fresh)

I live in London and if it was possible to get the Soles they'd be most of £30 alone.

Sorry to ask but what is a 'a warp of herring' and the Suffolk Thump? The humble herring might be one of my favourite things to eat. Again I barely eat them now as they are rarely in stock in good quality.

My local fishmonger used to sell the brown shrimps and always the pink North UK sea prawns (not sure what they are officially called) but now they seem to come in rarely and are insanely overpriced when they do (£10kg), a few years ago it was a few quid for a big bagful.

I find it bizarre we live on an Island with some of the finest fish and seafood in the world, but few shops stock it as no one wants to eat it.

and a kohlrabi (fresh)

Now that sounds the business! Thought it might have run to a crab as well. Your lucky to be so close to fresh seafood. Recommend you pickle the Kohlrabi. I had some a bit back and it’s great. Try pickling mooli too.

Last edited:
I live in London and if it was possible to get the Soles they'd be most of £30 alone.

Sorry to ask but what is a 'a warp of herring' and the Suffolk Thump? The humble herring might be one of my favourite things to eat. Again I barely eat them now as they are rarely in stock in good quality.

My local fishmonger used to sell the brown shrimps and always the pink North UK sea prawns (not sure what they are officially called) but now they seem to come in rarely and are insanely overpriced when they do (£10kg), a few years ago it was a few quid for a big bagful.

I find it bizarre we live on an Island with some of the finest fish and seafood in the world, but few shops stock it as no one wants to eat it.
That’s absolutely true. Sadly most of it goes to Spain and Portugal. Hopefully with hassles of exporting to EU more if the good stuff will stay in UK

That’s absolutely true. Sadly most of it goes to Spain and Portugal. Hopefully with hassles of exporting to EU more if the good stuff will stay in UK

Kohlrabi works well in Indian cooking as well.

Have you seen any more local fish in your neck of the woods? I've seen a few more things in my local 'traditional' fish mongers recently, not sure if it was down to Brexit or not, I bought a whole haddock a few weeks back, which I'd never seen before.

Your pocket of the North West must be dynamite for great seafood/fish, meat too. For the latter I imagine you can get amazing black pudding and so on.

Kohlrabi works well in Indian cooking as well.

Have you seen any more local fish in your neck of the woods? I've seen a few more things in my local 'traditional' fish mongers recently, not sure if it was down to Brexit or not, I bought a whole haddock a few weeks back, which I'd never seen before.

Your pocket of the North West must be dynamite for great seafood/fish, meat too. For the latter I imagine you can get amazing black pudding and so on.
Yes, Bolton and Bury markets have excellent fish stalls. Of course Bury Market has a black pudding stall!

Dover soles are graded, and the small ones, just on the minimum size limit, are called "slips". Big ones are, or used to be, called "barm skins", which is what an oilskin apron is also called i.e. they're that big (a bit of Suffolk hyperbole). A warp of herring is 4 herrings, 33 warps are a "long hundred" of 132 fish, "ten hundred" are 10 long hundreds, and a "last" is 3,200 fish. On big boats, a "cran" of herring is 28 stone by weight or 37 1/2 gallons by volume measure.

"Thump" is a hard cheese; so hard that they say that "hunger will break down walls, but not Suffolk cheese". It's not so easy to find these days.

We sold brown shrimps by the pint, which meant a generous filling of a pint beer glass. Some regulation then came along that we couldn't advertise them in pints, but had to use "a measure". Oddly, that measure just happened to be the same old pint glass. The selling price was always a pint of shrimps at the same price as a pint of beer. The big thing was to hawk them round the pubs at weekends, and the best were sieved through big round shrimp sieves, where the size between the bars was measured by old pennies and ha'pennies. A fourpenny sieve was 4 old (pre decimal) pennies side to side wide. One old boy used a penny ha'penny sieve, and his pitiful shrimps were known round here as "Speedy's earwigs". I had one of the old gas clothes "coppers" that used to be in council houses, which could boil almost a bushel of shrimps at a time, and I could barely cool them ready for sale before they were gone and the next lot was in the boiler, with a queue waiting.

Just after the last War, when we had food shortages, rationing, and not much fuel for heating during the 1947 winter, Nye Bevan remarked that it was an achievement to have shortages in an island made of coal and surrounded by fish. Until 20 or so years ago, we could sell all the herrings and sprats we caught catch in a morning, mainly to older people who'd travel from far inland, in what are now vintage cars, often a couple of times a week. That trade died out pretty quick, along with the customers. Other fish like flats, cod, bass and so forth sell, but the bigger trade is (rather, was until 2020) to restaurants etc., as the knowledge of preparing fish has largely disappeared from the general public, and tastes change.

Even here, the last fishmonger in town closed and is now a clothes shop, although the fish sheds at the harbour are still operating, having gone somewhat upmarket.

Dover soles are graded, and the small ones, just on the minimum size limit, are called "slips". Big ones are, or used to be, called "barm skins", which is what an oilskin apron is also called i.e. they're that big (a bit of Suffolk hyperbole). A warp of herring is 4 herrings, 33 warps are a "long hundred" of 132 fish, "ten hundred" are 10 long hundreds, and a "last" is 3,200 fish. On big boats, a "cran" of herring is 28 stone by weight or 37 1/2 gallons by volume measure.

"Thump" is a hard cheese; so hard that they say that "hunger will break down walls, but not Suffolk cheese". It's not so easy to find these days.

We sold brown shrimps by the pint, which meant a generous filling of a pint beer glass. Some regulation then came along that we couldn't advertise them in pints, but had to use "a measure". Oddly, that measure just happened to be the same old pint glass. The selling price was always a pint of shrimps at the same price as a pint of beer. The big thing was to hawk them round the pubs at weekends, and the best were sieved through big round shrimp sieves, where the size between the bars was measured by old pennies and ha'pennies. A fourpenny sieve was 4 old (pre decimal) pennies side to side wide. One old boy used a penny ha'penny sieve, and his pitiful shrimps were known round here as "Speedy's earwigs". I had one of the old gas clothes "coppers" that used to be in council houses, which could boil almost a bushel of shrimps at a time, and I could barely cool them ready for sale before they were gone and the next lot was in the boiler, with a queue waiting.

Just after the last War, when we had food shortages, rationing, and not much fuel for heating during the 1947 winter, Nye Bevan remarked that it was an achievement to have shortages in an island made of coal and surrounded by fish. Until 20 or so years ago, we could sell all the herrings and sprats we caught catch in a morning, mainly to older people who'd travel from far inland, in what are now vintage cars, often a couple of times a week. That trade died out pretty quick, along with the customers. Other fish like flats, cod, bass and so forth sell, but the bigger trade is (rather, was until 2020) to restaurants etc., as the knowledge of preparing fish has largely disappeared from the general public, and tastes change.

Even here, the last fishmonger in town closed and is now a clothes shop, although the fish sheds at the harbour are still operating, having gone somewhat upmarket.
It’s such a shame. It’s interesting though that, chefs turn things into something desirable (like, what were cheap cuts of meat) and suddenly they become expensive. Wonder if that’s the same for shaving soap ingredients!

Last edited:

Hello Ferrum,

Thanks for your fascinating reply, lots of language I knew nothing about and I enjoyed reading your anecdotes about the byegone era.

I used to buy prawns by the pint until a few years ago, my fishmonger was an old boy my dad bought fish from since he moved to the area in 1965, and he used to have a price up for by the kilo/lb, but would sell to his regulars by the pint.

Sad to hear about the last fishmonger going, there's one old fashioned traditional one just about hanging on in my hometown.

Of course tastes change, and a lot of people are busier than ever and simply do not have the time to get the shops to buy ingredients or to cook.

But, IMO these are things worth spending time on.

Well they've priced me out.
I'm glad I got a Club Cola when I could.

Seriously though, at that price I can get artisan US soaps with far more variety available. You'd hope the UK based soaps would be cheaper for UK buyers than foreign artisans...

Back
Top Bottom