Wickhams price increase

LeeMaz

Supporter
Supporter
Looks like Wickhams have increased his price by a third so instead of £14.99 a tub your now looking at £19.99. That’s quite a price rise and they were next on my hit list as I love the 3 or 4 samples I have, (and old tub of sandalwood) but at that price I may go elsewhere. I can get Stirling for less or A&E or go local and cheap with the Hampshire soaps. I hope it works out well for them but may struggle with it’s a higher price point.

What are the reasons behind the price increase? It could be due to the cost of the particular raw ingredients used in the production of his soaps.
If this is the case he would have had only two options open to him, use cheaper ingredients and have an inferior soap or to keep his quality standards high and increase the price of the product.......I don't know but it's a question worth asking.

Paul.

I've been buying soaps from UK artisan makers on principle, but with things as they are at present, and inflation moving up for many things, price increases aren't welcome. There may be very good reasons for this one, but I can't think that hiking prices this much is a good move.

The other side of the argument for me is that I stick with my modest stock of soaps, and only buy anew as "one out, one in". As it takes a long while to finish a tub, I'm in no danger of running out. A little bit of housekeeping today revealed a stash of soaps, including a number of the L'Occitane that fit the pewter bowl.

I've been buying soaps from UK artisan makers on principle, but with things as they are at present, and inflation moving up for many things, price increases aren't welcome. There may be very good reasons for this one, but I can't think that hiking prices this much is a good move.

The other side of the argument for me is that I stick with my modest stock of soaps, and only buy anew as "one out, one in". As it takes a long while to finish a tub, I'm in no danger of running out. A little bit of housekeeping today revealed a stash of soaps, including a number of the L'Occitane that fit the pewter bowl.
I’ve been trying to buy more British items TOBS, P&B And Wickhams and OSP were next on my list. Wickhams has dropped now. Might grab a club cola or classic from some of the suppliers that have kept old stock the original price.

I agree with Paul , Wickham's have always tried to offer a good product and a reasonable price. So something will be pushing the price increase.
I’m sure they have, and I love the small selection of their soaps I have and tried but I think giving more than a days notice or smaller initial price increase with a more detailed reasoning would have gained him a more favour.
I have no doubt he is being hit by the price increases that are biting pretty much everything and I don’t expect him to be loss making but think there may have been better ways to manage the news. The shaving community I’ve come to know are pretty kind and understanding bunch, just say due to price increases on raw materials, import material costs and shipping costs etc I’ve had to make this increase and hope you will continue to support me until I can source new materials or prices hopefully stabilise. He may even have seen a bump on saws that way.

...I think, for the immediate future, this will be par for the course on all prices across the board. Runaway money printing and broken supply chains are causing runaway prices. As an example, average port to port spot prices from Shanghai for a 40ft container have increased by 500% over the last 12 months. I would be suprised if we do not see 30%+ price increases on everything in the immediate future...you have been warned :)

I’m sure they have, and I love the small selection of their soaps I have and tried but I think giving more than a days notice or smaller initial price increase with a more detailed reasoning would have gained him a more favour.
I have no doubt he is being hit by the price increases that are biting pretty much everything and I don’t expect him to be loss making but think there may have been better ways to manage the news. The shaving community I’ve come to know are pretty kind and understanding bunch, just say due to price increases on raw materials, import material costs and shipping costs etc I’ve had to make this increase and hope you will continue to support me until I can source new materials or prices hopefully stabilise. He may even have seen a bump on saws that way.
I don't think his suppliers said the prices will be going up slowly so you can come to terms with it, no it would have been these are the new prices take it or leave it, so he did what he had to do, price increase and an explanation, economic changes.
I expect he may well see some drop in sales but Darron will keep his core of fans and I hope he can weather the storm ahead and I think he will, he's been doing this for a good while now,

Paul.

There may be cost pressures out there.
Meanwhile I bumped into Brian of Signature soaps at the local market Yesterday, his fabulous soaps are still at the original prices so if you want a high quality artisan soap give Brian a try!
(No connection other than being a very satisfied customer!)
Cheers
Paul

I don't think his suppliers said the prices will be going up slowly so you can come to terms with it, no it would have been these are the new prices take it or leave it, so he did what he had to do, price increase and an explanation, economic changes.
I expect he may well see some drop in sales but Darron will keep his core of fans and I hope he can weather the storm ahead and I think he will, he's been doing this for a good while now,

Paul.
What we are seeing is 2 of the larger base chemical suppliers are not supplying direct to the UK anymore , for our business we withdraw a lot of production prior to the end of transition as it was production for the European market. For the production for the UK we are bulk dropping in our European Warehouses and shipping in , but that adds costs of course. Not sure on the supply for the small artisans , but i guess it will filter through as there will be less competition and extra layers of distribution in the supply chain.

Back
Top Bottom