Wickham Soaps

Very late to the Wickham super smooth party. Just got some the other day and its amazing. I notice there is a testers thread and am a bit confused. Is the super smooth line soon to be discontinued as I note on wickhams twitter its an end of line sale? Are the testers testing something different than super smooth?
Sorry maybe the answer is right in front of me?

texaspete said:
Very late to the Wickham super smooth party. Just got some the other day and its amazing. I notice there is a testers thread and am a bit confused. Is the super smooth line soon to be discontinued as I note on wickhams twitter its an end of line sale? Are the testers testing something different than super smooth?

Hi Pete there will be some changes but nothing will be revealed because the market is changing at such a speed it's hard to stay ahead of the game. I have had to rethink my whole business and product due to the high amount of US soaps being placed on the EU market. While I can compete in soap quality and on price I can't with the desirability of these US soaps and the way that they are being marketed both here and abroad to the UK shaver. If I don't make certain changes then what is happening will push me out of business if I am not careful.

Watch this space as they say Pete. :D

Fox said:
texaspete said:

Hi Pete there will be some changes but nothing will be revealed because the market is changing at such a speed it's hard to stay ahead of the game. I have had to rethink my whole business and product due to the high amount of US soaps being placed on the EU market. While I can compete in soap quality and on price I can't with the desirability of these US soaps and the way that they are being marketed both here and abroad to the UK shaver. If I don't make certain changes then what is happening will push me out of business if I am not careful.

You've raised some very good points / concerns about US products flooding in the market cowboy-style with no valid EU safety certificate or toxicology tests, dodgy labelling etc. I'm not sure what the full liabilities are and if those UK vendors truly understand the risks they expose themselves (and their customers) to but I wouldn't want to be in the receiving end of a lawsuit due to someone having a bad reaction that's for sure...

The desirability IMO is mostly driven by curiosity and because so and so said something on B&B.

I wish you all the best with your new developments and I look forward to trying your new product(s)!

Stavros said:
Fox said:
texaspete said:

You've raised some very good points / concerns about US products flooding in the market cowboy-style with no valid EU safety certificate or toxicology tests, dodgy labelling etc. I'm not sure what the full liabilities are and if those UK vendors truly understand the risks they expose themselves (and their customers) to but I wouldn't want to be in the receiving end of a lawsuit due to someone having a bad reaction that's for sure...

The desirability IMO is mostly driven by curiosity and because so and so said something on B&B.

I wish you all the best with your new developments and I look forward to trying your new product(s)!

The full liabilities are as serious as you would imagine with large fines and even imprisonment. The blame lies both with the UK vendors and the US artisans because both parties sell products on the EU market without proper certification.

Some interesting points raised here. I must admit to having my head turned by the fancy US soaps, although I'm finding the amount/type of fragrance really doesn't agree with my skin.

I reckon I've just about worked through my urge to try US soaps. Back to British for me!

Ohhhhhh is that an Turkmenistani otters milk croap over there?!!!!

Are you guys referring to some well known state side soaps that have appeared on the market here within the last month or so, or something different?

Wow didn't realise the rules and regs were such like, then again I would have no reason to know. It is a risky business doing that if its not kosher.

Very interesting reading this, especially as I've now got a couple of Wickhams Soaps and also got some US soaps which I think are being implied in this thread.

Some Of these soaps I have bought from Vendors in the UK but some I've bought in myself so I suppose buying them yourself for your own use is your own responsibility and problem if anything goes a bit messy. But with the internet it's just too easy to buy these soaps yourself and bite the bullet if you get the customs charges. Not sure you can even blame the vendors for wanting to try and sell these much sought after soaps.

Personally I would hold Wickhams, as good, if not better, than pretty much all the US based soaps I've tried. The only one that I felt competes with Wickhams is Soap Commander and to be fair to Wickhams the only thing I'm not keen on is the packaging.

When Fitjar decided to drop soap making due to the EU regs then it highlights the cost to the soap manufacturer so I can fully understand why and UK business is at a disadvantage.

The US guys are having a big thing with artisan soaps at the moment, some are very good, some average and some are actually not very good at all.

I wish you all the best going forward with Wickhams (I've just bought my second tub) and hope the business continues to be worthwhile. We need to support our local business especially when they produce a top quality product.

Griffo said:
Very interesting reading this, especially as I've now got a couple of Wickhams Soaps and also got some US soaps which I think are being implied in this thread.

Some Of these soaps I have bought from Vendors in the UK but some I've bought in myself so I suppose buying them yourself for your own use is your own responsibility and problem if anything goes a bit messy. But with the internet it's just too easy to buy these soaps yourself and bite the bullet if you get the customs charges. Not sure you can even blame the vendors for wanting to try and sell these much sought after soaps.

Personally I would hold Wickhams, as good, if not better, than pretty much all the US based soaps I've tried. The only one that I felt competes with Wickhams is Soap Commander and to be fair to Wickhams the only thing I'm not keen on is the packaging.

When Fitjar decided to drop soap making due to the EU regs then it highlights the cost to the soap manufacturer so I can fully understand why and UK business is at a disadvantage.

The US guys are having a big thing with artisan soaps at the moment, some are very good, some average and some are actually not very good at all.

I wish you all the best going forward with Wickhams (I've just bought my second tub) and hope the business continues to be worthwhile. We need to support our local business especially when they produce a top quality product.

If you buy soaps directly from the US the fault lies with the US vendor because they are not allowed to sell in the EU without the certification.

You can't blame them for wanting to make a profit but it is still illegal. It's like selling Cuban cigars in the US. Can't blame them but actually you can.

axelk said:
If you buy soaps directly from the US the fault lies with the US vendor because they are not allowed to sell in the EU without the certification.

You can't blame them for wanting to make a profit but it is still illegal. It's like selling Cuban cigars in the US. Can't blame them but actually you can.

Ah thanks for confirming that. I just thought it was one of those - buy at your own risk scenarios.

Griffo said:
axelk said:

Ah thanks for confirming that. I just thought it was one of those - buy at your own risk scenarios.

Well it is. But legally speaking they are not allowed to sell it to you so when they get an order from the EU they should just say NO.

Just ordered two of your fine soaps Darren I didn't realize you had so many new scents.
The last time I looked the scents weren't to my taste.
I buy a good amount of soaps from the US, I think I can make my own decision on what to buy without any EU interference.
Making soaps in the UK must be like trying to run with your legs tied together :mad:
Looking forward to trying Wickham soap for the first time. The new labels look good with some colour on them, they stand out from the crowd :icon_smile:

Just used my recent purchase today. One of the smoothest shaves to date. Was very smooth and seemed to allow a little more cutting for some reason. 1963 slim adjustable and Lab Blue.

Many thanks Wickhams.

Back
Top Bottom