Wickham Soap Testers

BraveBlades said:
Yeah I had read your previous comments on it. I was just passing comment on "how" dark it was. ;)

I see, wires crossed on my part, sorry, its been a long day. :D

The Sheridan's does go very dark. I left some on the side for two months with the lid on and it looked like it had crystalised, but it was just the clouring. Most odd to see if you don't know what is going on. :D

So I had a second shave with the rice paper hard soap. Same setup as before: rocket with a new Personna, tablespoon of hot water to soften soap for a minute, loaded very well, face lathered. Started with a drier brush as I suspected I was a bit too wet last time. Built up lather over a few iterations, it was slick but still yoghurty thick (did I not go far enough?). So again I thought I got a good shave but not great. There simply isn't a load of cushion and the Rocket has enough bite to make this clearly evident. The glide was good at the level of hydration it was at. So only 2 shaves in, I'm wondering if there may be a few tweaks necessary.

Also, some are rationalizing their reviews with an acceptable difference between this recipe and Super Smooth. I'll put it to this fine group of gentlemen to confirm, when dealing with an artisan all you want is their best recipe, whatever the price, in a few of their best scents. From the consumer's view, it can be a bit confusing to deal with multiple formulas/recipes. If you can get a hard soap close to performance of Super Smooth but cheaper to produce you may really hit upon something where the scents become the main challenge.

beardybrewer said:
If you can get a hard soap close to performance of Super Smooth but cheaper to produce you may really hit upon something where the scents become the main challenge.

I am ever so close to doing just this. I am in the process to get V2 of the hard soap together.

I am also in talks with a new scent supplier who will custom make them for me. I have asked them to produce some cracking scents which I am told will be with me next week.

Thank you for the valuable feedback and taking the time to test. :D

Just a little update, the new Sandalwood arrived and I won't say to much as I don't want to sway the testers in their decisions/thoughts of it.

Fancontroller & Geofnay I will send you both the new Sandalwood in Super Smooth, as I just need to know how you find it compared to the other which I sent you and if you like it or not.

I plan to roll out V2 of the hard soap and some new scents from next week, so testers stand by! :D

I have halted the toxicologist while Mr Sheridan is testing samples for the new Sheridan's scent.

Newkies Guinness has been dropped as the feedback was not good, sorry Newkie!

I think that is about it for the time being, and thank you all again for your help. :D

I'm a bit late to the party after being away for a good few weeks, but I've had a couple of shaves with Darron's new hard soap. A bit early to make conclusions, but it seems to lather pretty well.

DiCffVK.jpg

Thanks Darron, the new Sandalwood SS arrived today. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning and report back.
From initial sniffs of the cream I don't get sandalwood. There's definitely a sophisticated fragrance but hard to describe; perfumy, I quite like it. I'll only know properly when I lather it up.

Thanks from me too Darron - my new sample also arrived today. You'll probably think you've picked the worst 2 to test sandalwood on - but like fancontroller I can't smell sandalwood from the pot. The scent reminds me of Dove or Lux soap (do they still make that)?
The performance will, I'm sure, be superb. It might be better lathered but the scent, I'm afraid, doesn't do it for me.

Just finished shaving with the Sandalwood Super Smooth.

Performance-wise top notch as I have come to expect with Super Smooth.
As for the scent, Darron, I've tried to find the sandalwood but afraid I couldn't. The overall scent of the soap is of luxury soap, like Dove or Imperial Leather but I wouldn't have been able to guess sandalwood if I didn't know. In fact the scent went quite well with my DR Harris Arlington cologne.

I have TOBS sandalwood and this definitely is what I expect and know of the scent. Maybe there are various versions of sandalwood but the TOBS is the one I recognise.

I'm a bit confused as to why you are pushing this scent, is it one of the best sellers? I really enjoyed your Garden Mint which didn't have menthol. I thought that was ground breaking and thought it was popular, did it have a good response?
I remember Sharon (NSS) said that food scents were not too popular (especially Vanilla). Maybe I'm different then because I think Vanilla is fab for shaving as well as in coffee and ice-cream.

All the best,
Mike

fancontroller said:
Just finished shaving with the Sandalwood Super Smooth.

Performance-wise top notch as I have come to expect with Super Smooth.
As for the scent, Darron, I've tried to find the sandalwood but afraid I couldn't. The overall scent of the soap is of luxury soap, like Dove or Imperial Leather but I wouldn't have been able to guess sandalwood if I didn't know. In fact the scent went quite well with my DR Harris Arlington cologne.

I have TOBS sandalwood and this definitely is what I expect and know of the scent. Maybe there are various versions of sandalwood but the TOBS is the one I recognise.

I'm a bit confused as to why you are pushing this scent, is it one of the best sellers? I really enjoyed your Garden Mint which didn't have menthol. I thought that was ground breaking and thought it was popular, did it have a good response?
I remember Sharon (NSS) said that food scents were not too popular (especially Vanilla). Maybe I'm different then because I think Vanilla is fab for shaving as well as in coffee and ice-cream.

All the best,
Mike

Hi Mike yes Sandalwood came top of the shave "pop pickers" scent list. Its odd because I get more Sandalwood from this then the first one and also from the Sandalwood essential oils I have here. You now have me intrigued as to what TOBS smells like.

Garden Mint is not such a good seller, oddly my best scents are Bay Rum, Club Cola and Southsea Spray. I do expect that to change with the introductions of the new scents.

Garden Mint and English Lavender will be dropped from my offerings when the introduction of the new scents take place. Club Cola has been reformulated and is now contracted out to be made so I can concentrate on making soap.

Imperial Trevor will no longer be an Imperial Leather copy and has been renamed to Imperial Tonic, the scent of this still has to be decided but I do have 5 formulations that I have been working on that testers can chose from. I hope to get these out within the next week or two.

Mr Sheridan has made a decision as to what the scent should be for his scent, so everything is moving along quite nicely.

It's just the Sandalwood that is proving to be difficult. I will have to give this a bit more thought. The real problem to this is a result of world shortages of Sandalwood oil. It's been farmed to near death for cosmetics and religious cerimonal uses.

This was taken from a random website.
About Sandalwood Oil: There is a worldwide shortage of high-quality Sandalwood oil. Indian Sandalwood can no longer be obtained except as an ingredient in another product, such as our Attars. Most of the so-called Mysore or "White Sandalwood Oil" on the market has been adulterated with synthetics. With the cost of Sandalwood nearly doubling every six-months, many are resorting to false labelling, poorly processed inferior varieties, black-market, or highly diluted sandalwood.

Back to the drawing board with this one. :D

No mention of your English Rose. I think this is a great scent and would be a strong seller. It's a traditional scent so has mainstream appeal.

Any opinions from other testers?

Back
Top Bottom