Why do I find AC blades uncomfortable?

The Feather Pro is the only blade I use anymore. In an injector, an SE or a Feather AC. They are the sharpest most comfortable blades I have ever used.

The Guards, with the wire wrapped around them must have been invented by a sadist. How the heck are you supposed to get a close shave with a coil of wire wrapped around the blade? So you end up using pressure to get closer to the skin, and we all know that's a good plan....

The Supers for me, really need a couple of shaves to smooth out. But In the long run I get the same number of good shaves out of them as a pro so I quit buying them.

I like the Kai blades, but they are stupid expensive compared to the Feathers, so I don't even look at them, as the Feather Pros are so good.

Hopefully you find one that works out for you.

My experience with these AC razors has come to an end. Today I gave up halfway through the first pass. I switched over to one of my DEs and the difference was like night and day. Buttery smooth, efficient, I couldn't feel a thing. It was like discovering the joys of wet shaving all over again!

Imagine shaving with one of those disposable Bic razors with no shaving cream. That's fairly close to how these AC razors feel on my stubble. Mongoose, El Jefe, Hawk - they're all awful, for me at least.

It was all rather interesting and pretty expensive :eek: Still, it's good to know what works and what doesn't for each of us.

I can now go back to using proper SEs like the 1912 and Injectors ;-)

I found that the blades are so sharp that it takes a couple of very, very careful no pressure shaves to avoid nicks and lots of weepers. Once the initial sharpness of the blade is softened the blades work very well for me. And, they last sharp for very many shaves. IMO the initial sharpness is simply too much for many skins. I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if rubbing the blade initially on the inside of a class or on a glass blade sharpener would be a good idea to tone down the extreme sharpness of the blade?? Some day I will try that and see!

This is the exact same experience I have with AC blades.
I genuinely fear loading a new blade, but after 2 or 3 shaves they are so efficient and smooth.
I've been told if you run the blade through a piece of cork it takes some of the bite out of a fresh blade, I haven't tried it and I sort of feel if your paying that much money for a box of blades then you shouldn't have to tamper with them to get good results, that being said once they've settled down they on average, for me last at least 4 weeks. It's a tough one, for me I'll put up with the extra sharpness for the first couple of shaves because overall it pays off.

You posted this twice to convince yourself, right?

Well I may have found salvation in the form of the hard to find Schick Proline blade. @Robwiz was kind enough to send me one. I'd read good things about this blade from people who, like me, don't get on with Feather's Artist Club blades. The Proline is the same size as the FAC blade and I think was made for Schick's extinct Proline FAC style razor. The Proline blade is only available for sale to barbers I think.

I had a week's worth of growth and loaded the CJB with the Proline for my third ever straight shave. Straight away I could tell this blade was very smooth, no tugging at all! It felt very comfortable. This really made me feel more confident and relaxed. I managed a WTG pass and ATG and ended with a pretty much BBS shave except my chin. I need to work on that area with a straight. The first pass was equal to my R41 in terms of closeness.

Looking forward to trying the Proline in my Antiga shavette.

I am going to wade into this as a buddy loaned me his RazoRock Hawk & three different blades. Of course, after reading this thread I am beginning to think more like three ways to do seppuku!!! :eek:

Perhaps the answer is patently obvious: these blades were not designed to cut facial hair, hence they do not have the special sputterings, coatings, etc. Maybe it's like trying to push in a thumbtack with a sledge hammer.

I am going to wade into this as a buddy loaned me his RazoRock Hawk & three different blades. Of course, after reading this thread I am beginning to think more like three ways to do seppuku!!! :eek:

Perhaps the answer is patently obvious: these blades were not designed to cut facial hair, hence they do not have the special sputterings, coatings, etc. Maybe it's like trying to push in a thumbtack with a sledge hammer.
The AC blades were originally used in Shavettes, so can cut hair. I have used a few different blades in The Hawk, General and Claymore , and fingers crossed no blood letting. I listened to "Billy" and learnt to use a light touch on vintage SE & Injectors,which has made the move to using the AC/SE Razors quite easy, though I started off with a mild blade.

The AC blades were originally used in Shavettes, so can cut hair...

I said facial hair. Obviously, there is a difference as we don't use box cutter blades for facial shaving. The shavette was never meant to replace the straight razor, it was meant to used in lieu of clippers from all I have read. I think the "crazy" sharp, as Fergiebilly refers to, is twofold as regards Feather blades in that they put a final third hone on what is a thicker/stiffer blade that will hold that edge longer than a thin DE blade. Now I am sure there is some logarithmic engineering formula that deals with mass/sharpness/rigidity, but I'm even more sure it's way over my head and that's before we even begin to factor in hones, sputtering, coatings, etc.. :oops: What I do know is that a more rigid blade will cut with more ease than a lighter one with few exceptions. One shave with an old injector razor will prove this. Another example is a good sharp Bowie knife cutting a free hanging manila rope with one swipe whereas a pen knife, even using the same steel & hone, will not.

Just my 2 cents.

I said facial hair. Obviously, there is a difference as we don't use box cutter blades for facial shaving. The shavette was never meant to replace the straight razor, it was meant to used in lieu of clippers from all I have read. I think the "crazy" sharp, as Fergiebilly refers to, is twofold as regards Feather blades in that they put a final third hone on what is a thicker/stiffer blade that will hold that edge longer than a thin DE blade. Now I am sure there is some logarithmic engineering formula that deals with mass/sharpness/rigidity, but I'm even more sure it's way over my head and that's before we even begin to factor in hones, sputtering, coatings, etc.. :oops: What I do know is that a more rigid blade will cut with more ease than a lighter one with few exceptions. One shave with an old injector razor will prove this. Another example is a good sharp Bowie knife cutting a free hanging manila rope with one swipe whereas a pen knife, even using the same steel & hone, will not.

Just my 2 cents.
I did actually mean facial hair [whiskers]. Thanks for all the info/thoughts that you provided.

Yes I agree with you. A lot of folk do not get on with these blades in either FAC razors or SE razors taking the blade. Up until experimenting with FAC blades I have got on with every single brand of DE blades and Schick and Gem SEs. I could shave with any type of blade comfortably. As soon as I started to use these FAC blades I knew something was different with them and not in a good way. At least this Proline appears to be a bit more face friendly.

My experience has been exactly the opposite to the title of this thread! I used DE blades for years (in various razors) with very mixed results, before switching to SE. I now consistently enjoy smooth and close shaves, without a hint of irritation. As with DE, some SE blades work better in some razors than others. I've tried Feather Pro, Super Pro and ProGuard, and Kai Captain Sharp and Pink. They have all excelled in at least one razor or another.

I realise everyone's skin is not the same and results vary from one person to another :)

Last edited:
Totally agree with FrankieG. However I have found the razor that the AC blades are at home with, several great shaves with the Feather Pro in both the General Aluminium and the Brass version. The brass is probably a tad smoother perhaps down to the weight. I find this combo extremely hard to beat, I will be gauging it against a Hone 15 ( I know, DE ). Just used a Kai in the Hone, with a few shaves on it but was not impressed, so will try another brand to give it a fair go. I have to say, with all that in mind, I do know, for important occasions the General and a Feather Pro are the business.

Well, I tried the Feather Proguard blade on one one side of my face today in the aluminum Hawk. Not for me as the blade was somewhat rough and was trying to skip a tad even after a hot shower, pre-shave wash & a thorough "lashing" of the face with Stirling soap. It felt like using a wiper blade on my face due to the size!! o_O

I have two other different blades to try if I wish, but regardless I think one is sacrificing maneuverability somewhat by using one of these face "Zeppelins".

Well, I tried the Feather Proguard blade on one one side of my face today in the aluminum Hawk. Not for me as the blade was somewhat rough and was trying to skip a tad even after a hot shower, pre-shave wash & a thorough "lashing" of the face with Stirling soap. It felt like using a wiper blade on my face due to the size!! o_O

I have two other different blades to try if I wish, but regardless I think one is sacrificing maneuverability somewhat by using one of these face "Zeppelins".
I had a similar experience with Feather Pro in the Hawk @Bogeyman , i.e. somewhat tuggy and skipping. A Feather ProGuard has worked beautifully in it on the other hand. No skipping and as smooth as can be, while still being very efficient.

Back
Top Bottom