Which Slant?

Not tried the Ikon but I've heard its very mild and when I was looking for a slant I wanted something more aggressive than my 89 copy. My Merkur 37c is just about right for me. Its not a face scraper but its certainly effective when tackling 2-3 days growth using a sharp blade. My only criticisms with it are the plating is shite in comparison to my Bluebeard Scimitar and I would have preferred it to be slightly heavier but for £30ish quid you cant go wrong IMO.

+1 for the 37c, effective as a daily razor, makes some dull bladed like the Darby cut properly, 17.00'ocloc'k shadow is well.. at fiveocklock ,so it's a close but not too close shave. Mild on the face but aggressive on the stubble.

I own both.

Merkur has more blade gap, so very forgiving of the shaving angle, but this makes it a wee bit rough feeling.(It didn't feel rough until I got the Ikon)

Ikon smaller gap, just requires a bit of practise to get the angle correct, but when you do it shaves equally as close as the Merkur, but is MUCH smoother.
The Ikon tells you when the angle is correct by the sound it makes.

Ah, but its buying an iKon.

Greg seems to boycot direct sales to the UK for some reason, and re-sellers seem to inflate the price rather a lot. I quite like the design of the RazoRock, but this is at the prototype/ limited quantity stage at the mo. Ive enquired about a #102 head from the USA which is a reasonable price sterling, but though the seller says he ships to the UK he fails to give a price.

At this point I may well pull the trigger on a 37C, but my past experience with Merkur has not been great.

Hi ,,in my humble opion,,the ikon shave craft 102,,
it is based on the old mulcato slant.
they have done an excellant job of making it slightly bigger as in length ways and a tad heavier,,
I shaved with a 37c and a sonnal slant plus a mulcato..bought this because of the weight ,,paried it wih a custom handle ,,and never looked back
It is an effortless shave ,,hardley any feedback i think because of the weight ,,but you are not in need of it,
What you do get is bbs in two an a touch up ,,its a very mild shave but very effective and the bbs last longer than any other slant i have used ,,,
Enjoy,,,,

Cheers Dodgycam, however a PM has pointed me in the direction of a UK seller where Google failed miserably and Ive just ordered a head to try. If I like it paired with my UFO Godzilla then I may get the pair plated up to match each other.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Father Ted said:

Greg seems to boycot direct sales to the UK for some reason, and re-sellers seem to inflate the price rather a lot. I quite like the design of the RazoRock, but this is at the prototype/ limited quantity stage at the mo. Ive enquired about a #102 head from the USA which is a reasonable price sterling, but though the seller says he ships to the UK he fails to give a price.

At this point I may well pull the trigger on a 37C, but my past experience with Merkur has not been great.

I emailed ikon about shipping to the UK he does and a mate had one shipped recently. He even marked the value down to avoid customs.

fly3k said:
Father Ted said:

Greg seems to boycot direct sales to the UK for some reason

I emailed ikon about shipping to the UK he does and a mate had one shipped recently. He even marked the value down to avoid customs.

Must be me then, for some reason when I ask he says he wont ship to the UK. Never mind, I have a reasonably priced #102 head on the way to try. I'll need to find my spare UFO handle ( I think its up at my van....)

Connaught have the 102 head at a very reasonable price point. I thought the 37 merkur was great until I got the 102. The Bakelite Mulcuto and the one-piece prototype are excellent, the iKon is a solid stainless version and equally as good.

Got the 102, arrived in a mahoosive box full of polystyrene wombles or whatever they are called.

Its about to get lashed to a handle and used.... I'll report back later today.

B3CiX54IAAEQW6w.jpg

Well, first thoughts - its not bad, on the "easy bits" ive got BBS with my first go. On the not so easy bits Ive got razor burn and its still a bit rough - so Obv some technique tewaking to be done.

Doesnt look a pretty head IMHO but might look better on a fatter handle. Or a longer one. Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom