Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Chubby 1 Best

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Duke 3

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
I was going by memory but last time I looked Simpson are none to specific about knot dimensions (handmade nature of knot I suppose). You could make the case for Polos with their longer handles and lofts being better suited for bowl lathering and Chubby's for face lathering if you have a preference.

If they will make you one a Duke 3 two band is a good compromise.

duke3t.jpg

There an online vendor making the effort to measure his Simpsons brushes individually.
From his website.

CH1 knot 22mm loft 47mm
D3 knot 23/24mm loft 49/50mm

Handle D3 is taller
Height D3 46mm, CH1 40mm
Wide D3 36mm CH1 37mm

CH1 is a little denser than D3
There users commented both are similar brushes, main differences CH1 is denser and has a shorter handle.

I had the same dilemma between CH1, CH2, D3 sometime ago.
I went for an all round brush and got a D3 which was 24/50

I quite believed you hon, could have sworn the CH1/D3 were near identical and my oldish CH1 was nearer 24/25mm, maybe it's me but those CH1's now look rather puny.

from what i read one of the major changes about present CH1 comparing to the old Simpsons is the smaller handle.
that made CH1 even more a smallish brush.

So the common consensus is for a Duke 2 or 3 then?

There is a limited edition Duke 2 in super on the Simpsons website. Do you reckon it's worth the extra or just go for best and bank the saving (also no discount on the Simpsons site!)

Hiya,

Well, I'm leaning toward the Polo 8 because of the handle height. Seems like the Duke model is also too short for me so that's that. No big hurry pulling the trigger on the brush, and now I have a reference point when that time comes. Phil (Bullgoose) has a two banded one in stock right now.......sigh. Who knows, I might end up asking a member to make something up along that line.

Once again, thanks for the helpful info.

Martin

I would go for the duke 3 rather than the 2 purely because i prefer that size of brush.

Has any one tried the duke 3 in pure? Or any Simpsons in pure?

My only Simpsons Pure is this one:

http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/simpsons-beaufort-b1-pure-badger.html

The hair is distinctly prickly compared with the Best grade. The Duke 3 is in my opinion a perfect size for control during lathering. The Chubby 2 is great fun but you have to be careful to get the lather how you you want it.

Tall_Paul said:
So the common consensus is for a Duke 2 or 3 then?

There is a limited edition Duke 2 in super on the Simpsons website. Do you reckon it's worth the extra or just go for best and bank the saving (also no discount on the Simpsons site!)

Precisely, I thought the D2 a bit insufficient and Super hair (unless its 2 band) a bit unnecessary in comparison. Duke 3 in Best, K might have something to say about the loft as you might want something less than the standard 50mm depending on your style. Best hair (last time I felt some) is extremely soft so you need the density and or reduction in loft for a decent face feel, you compromise "flow through" but that's the price you pay for a facial.

Back
Top Bottom