Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Chubby 1 Best

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Duke 3

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
Am thinking about treating myself for my birthday to another Simpsons (to compliment my Emperor).

I have a hankering for a Chubby, but have read the 1 is too small and the 2 is too big!

I think I'd prefer a smaller than a larger brush so decided on the 1 in Super Badger.

However, having done some research on our beloved forum, several peeps are saying a Duke is an excellent 'brush for all seasons' and possibly a better buy than a Chubby.

Not wanting to make an expensive mistake I thought I'd ask here for opinions (as my birthday is two months away so plenty of time to decide!).

I'd say Duke 3. More flexible than a chubby IMO.

I have a ch1 in best, ch2 in 2 band super and the duke. The Chubby's are quite an acquired tasted I'd say where as the duke is more balanced.

Hope that makes sense!

I want to try a 2 band tulip next, we shall see how that plan goes soon!

I have a Key Hole 2 in Best and I must admit that I did not get on well with it at first and it ended up falling out of my rotation.

However, I tried it again 6 months ago and for some reason it started to deliver great face lathers. I guess that it was something to do with my technique having changed, but now I really enjoy using. It is on the smallish size, but fights above its weight IMO.

Does the Duke 3 have a big knot? The Emperor that Dipesh sold me is just about perfect so I wouldn't want to go that much bigger TBH.

Well, I also used to think the Duke 3 or the Chubby 2 are practically the best from the range, only until I tried a Polo 10 in Two Band...

But different people have different preferences - this has also to be noted.

Tall_Paul said:
Does the Duke 3 have a big knot? The Emperor that Dipesh sold me is just about perfect so I wouldn't want to go that much bigger TBH.

Compared to the Emperor, the Duke 3 is a fair bit bigger.

Duke 2 is more of a similar size. I had this brush, it's fantastic, it's one I quite miss tbh.

N_Architect said:
Well, I also used to think the Duke 3 or the Chubby 2 are practically the best from the range, only until I tried a Polo 10 in Two Band...

But different people have different preferences - this has also to be noted.

A Polo is next on my list I think! Your pair looked lovely in the pic you posted up K. Droool...

Hiya,

I'vegot a question that's been bugging me for a while so any thoughts would be helpful. It's a little off topic, but not by much.

May I ask what other brush has a knot similar to the Chubby 1? The performance sounds intriguing, but that handle on the Chubby's too short for me. Ideally, i prefer something in the mid 50mm handle height. The #2 knot would be too big I'd think, so that leaves it out as well.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

The Chubby 1 & Duke 3 have near if not identical knots (~25mm)

The Chubby 2 & Polo 10 " " " " (~28mm)

Polo if you prefer larger handle than Chubby 2

Duke 3 " " " " " Chubby 1

Lofts may vary of course.

Don't you mean the Polo 8, Tony? That's one of my top brushes (in two band), but I love my obscenly large Chiubby 3 in two band too, so I don't know if I'm a good judge to things.

No, it's the Chubby 2 and the Polo 10 that have nearly same size knot, he's spot on me thinks.

The Polo 8 certainly has smaller knot than the Chubby 2.

And yes, it's simple and clear - Polo in the place of Chubby if one prefers larger handle.

Back
Top Bottom