Which British artisan soap to buy at the moment?

I am pretty frugal, so I usually buy one artisan soap a year (in order not to overstock too). Since I have finished the soap from last year, I am therefore in a quest for a new one that is mainstream.

I have an eye on Phoenix and Beau unscented or Spitfire, but I would like to widen the scope if possible and am looking for suggestions as well .

georges-nadon-in-spitfire.jpg

Requirements:
- made in Britain (it can be Welsh, English, Irish or Scottish, I do not mind);
- price range £10-15;
- unscented would be good, because I am sometime sensitive to essential oils, however I can try perfumed soaps;

Last edited:
Seeings as Darron was too polite to mention.....Wickhams of course!!! Lol.

Wickhams super smooth are fantastic and the new 1912 that should be available soon really is top notch.

Not sure he has an unscented, but I can be sensitive to some soaps (caties bubbles, TOBS Sandalwood) and have never had an issue with Wickhams.

Hold off on the Wichams. Nothing wrong with it. Good soap. If you want a really good English soap then it is between Mitchell's Wool Fat or OSP in any scent you fancy. They both lather well but the kicker is the wonderful post shave feel from both brands. Honestly, OSP will edge it as it lathers so well.

Nannies' hard soaps are AMAZING value but I don't think you would be disappointed with any of Wickham's either. I say get one of each and skip next year. :)

Another vote for Wickham's from me. I have sensitive skin as well and had no problem with using Darron's soap and the two versions I have have a great scent. I haven't tried OSP so can't comment on it but MWF was the soap I used most. However, I have been very impressed with the quality of the lather and it does leave me with a very nice post shave feel. If I had to make a choice between the two I would choose Wickham's

Hold off on the Wichams. Nothing wrong with it. Good soap. If you want a really good English soap then it is between Mitchell's Wool Fat or OSP in any scent you fancy. They both lather well but the kicker is the wonderful post shave feel from both brands. Honestly, OSP will edge it as it lathers so well.

The beauty and frustration of this game is that everyone's opinion is different! I have tried OSP and Mitchell's Wool Fat and although OSP is great I prefer Wickhams scents, and MWF I wouldn't give you 2p for.... just can't get the stuff to lather!!!

The only thing you can do is try them yourself so @Cristobal if you pm your address I'll ping you a Wickhams and OSP sample if you want. Can't help you with NSS as I don't have any. :-(

Matt

Does MWF count as artisan? Damn fine soap though. It's the only one that saves me when I do stupid things like shave two days in a row with a cartridge razor or go ATG on the upper lip.

It is very subjective, best anything is really quite personal.

I'm a newbie, (to bound my findings):
For me P&B and the forthcoming Nannies Tallow blend (I was lucky enough to sample) are the pick of the crop.

Other than MWF, all the brands talked about are truly excellent you can't go wrong.

I have quite sensitive skin & MWF irritates me on 2 levels, harder to lather than most & burns my face if I use it more than 2 days consecutively.

Back
Top Bottom