Where to buy a variety pack of different blades to try ?

dodgy said:
Frankieabbott said:
Blade selection has arrived :-

Crown
Silver Star
Shark...super/super chrome
Lord.....extra/super chrome/cool/platinum/super
Big Ben
ASCO
Rainbow
Racer

Where to start?

Hi Francis,

I gotta ask you.....how did you decide on that sampler selection? I've never seen so many blades that I'm not familiar with.

Normally I can suggest a blade or two, but the only one I've tried on that list is the Shark (good blade). Heh, sorry I can't be of more help.

Martin

Dunno mate.....saw em on Connaught site, but now I look at the invoice and it says 'LORD blade sample pack'. Maybe bought em online whilst a little tipsy.

PavlovsDog said:
I had a Lord sampler pack, I also thought the ASCO's were awful.

The Sharks are good and I quite liked the Lord Cool and Big Ben.

The ASCO's have been tried...and failed. Working through the rest of em. It's quite fun really.

I'm very new to DE shaving and got a sample pack from Connaught.

Gillette 7 o'clock yellow - pretty good, comfortable, 2 shaves
Astra - very good, 2 shaves, very comfortable, I like this one best so far
Derby Extra - ok, 2 shaves
Supermax - dragged a little and not as close a shave, needed more pressure but ok, 1 shave
Wilkinson Sword, Lord Platinum, Feather, Crystal Platinum, Shark Super Chrome, Personna Platinum - not tried yet

All used in an EJ89, my first razor, with Palmolive shave stick/homemade soap, cheap Wilky's brush.

Tried a seven minute two pass 'quickie this morning. I usually like a leisurely 15 minute three pass shave in the evening and try to enjoy it. Second use of the Shark blade and it was a much better shave compared to the first. Two passes are definately enough to make me presentable for work.

Frankieabbott said:
Have a Lord 'Big Ben' in the old Merkur 34 HD. Cut me on first use. Cut me on second use. Are they really that sharp?

Nope. Dare I say it's probably down to "driver" error :icon_razz::icon_razz:

Or in other words, revisit

1) your lather
2) your technique

with a blade you have had good results from before.

fatboyslimfast said:
Not necessarily - it could be that although the blade is ok-sharp, it's a bit rough - these will give you nicks far more often than a smooth sharp blade.

I get far more nicks from lower-end blades like Treets, Tigers and Lasers than I ever do from Astras.

Absolutely - a blunt or tugging blade is more likely to cut you than a really sharp blade.

Back
Top Bottom