Where is gone the milkman?

Hiya,

Back in 1967 there was still a small dairy located only a few miles from our house and my mom used a milkman from there. I still remember the silver drop box by the back door for the milk if no one was home.

Anyway, that winter of 67 featured record snowfall in a short period and basically everything shut down for 3-4 days or so. I didn't even make it home from school for a few days and stayed with a buddy till the roads were cleared.

My dad put together an order from a few neighbors and used a sled for a milk run. Heh, I imagine the dairy had plenty of milk. Cripes, that was like 50 years ago!

I remember before folk had fridges - the milk bottles were kept up to their necks in a bucket of water outside the back door in summer. Mum made a revolting cheese from the ones that didn't make it. Eggs cracked into a cup to sniff and the bad ones returned to the grocer. This, of course, was after we moved from the bombed out brown paper bag I was born in. Oh! the good, old days! We had to make our own fun back then, you know.

We were slightly more advanced ( in theory at least ) Big Bro B. My marine engineer dad assembled a double or triple thickness of muslin with small weights tied on with nylon fishing line all round the edge, rather like a bushman's hat with corks. Every time someone passed thru the kitchen the muslin was squeezed out and soaked in cold water. Unlikely enough, the evaporation allied to the standing in cold water technique did work to a certain extent.

JohnnyO. o/.

Back
Top Bottom