What's going on with razor prices on EBay at the moment?

dodgy said:
Diqiu-Long said:
As far as I see it now you better look on the shaving forums, ofcourse as a newbie you can't open any thread in these section's but you can see what they offer.

Hi there,

You're smart trying to find some razors on shaving forum sites. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy a for sale razor when new, but not sell one.

Maybe put a WTB post up over here and see what happens.

Martin
Well I will abide the rules, but right now I scored all my deals on a local daughter website from ebay which isnt crowded by people that are on the lookout for safety razors.

Later I want perhaps to sell some safety razors which I don't want anymore, I think that's the best way, not sell on eBay but sell in these forums, its a good thing this kind off forums have a marktplace.

I gotta say a lot of its down to the shaving forums especially B&B with the vast amount of newbies that sign up there on a daily basis they see what razors people are talking about it then boom prices jump as they see them as the must have thing. Also i have seen this happen quite a lot of times now someone asks what would be a good price to pay for a razor thats not often for sale then all of a sudden the razor that may have gone for 50 quid end's up selling for 3 times the amount...

And if you can't seem to get the price high enough you just make the shipping cost much higher.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Vintage-Gillette-Lady-Gillette-TTO-DE-Safety-Razor-Gold-Starburst-L1-c-1966-Rare-/290734090171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b11a27bb#shId

and another one is already on 99 usd

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/LADY-GILLETTE-ONE-PIECE-RAZOR-1-50-UNopened-on-card-/130721942915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6fa28d83

I've been away from the traditional/vintage wet shaving scene for about four years and have only recently returned to it. The prices of stuff, especially on eBay, have gone mad. It's all so much more expensive than when I started out in 2007. Having said that, when I started out the forums were full of people saying exactly the same thing so it looks like things haven't changed that much.

There are still sellers on eBay who have reasonable prizes and if you keep an close watch on items you might be able to win them, just need to look for them, there are really some nice ones between there which go for a low price and are in a great condition.

You just have to find these.

Well, I've just lost out on another Red Ring (though I have no idea of how much the winning bidders top bid was).

It looks like I've going to have to go somewhere north of £200 to get a really nice one (unless I see one that goes under the radar) and, unfortunately, that is just far too much!

Somebody must have written some shilling software by now, not that's it too difficult to organise manually.

Gem G-bars are the next big thing I tells ya.

joe mcclaine said:
These Red Rings must be pretty awesome.

I've stuck it on my 'watch' list on eBay.

I have one that i have used quite a few times and if im being honest for me it was an ok shaver nothing impressive. I have thought about trying a few different blade,cream,soap combo's with it in the last few months but when it's time to shave i just look at it and think nope it's staying where it is i'll use something else...

Tall_Paul said:
Is it mad summer or something?

Within the past few days I've watched a Darwin go for over £400 and now this Eclipse[/url] go for £355.

Absolutely bonkers money. Who on earth is paying it?

What's the scoop buddy,

Maybe the prices have gone up for the more unusual razors....that's probably right. More people getting into this goofy hobby will drive the prices north for relatively rare pieces. Mighta started with the Toggle a few years ago...who knows.

I looked at a few pages of completed ebay listings for a Fatboy, which is a desirable but not especially uncommon razor. Seems like the average price is around $50, and that will sometimes include a case. I'd guess the other kinda common razors would also be fairly reasonable as well.

People that pay $300-400 for a razor ain't buying em to shave with, at least I don't think that's their main goal. It's more the idea of having one, at least I guess that's the case. It's something I don't understand so I can't speak from experience.

I may be wrong, but in most cases I kinda doubt the selling price on common types has gone up very much in the last year or two.

Martin

joe mcclaine said:
These Red Rings must be pretty awesome.

I've stuck it on my 'watch' list on eBay.

What's up Vinny,

At first I figured you were kidding, but maybe not. I don't see you as that kinda collector, but possibly I'm wrong. As other members have mentioned, the shave itself isn't anything special.

Martin

Oh........I like your new self portrait avatar.

Tall_Paul said:
I've been on the search for a nice Eclipse for over a year now but if they're going to go for that sort of money then I'll have to face the fact that I'm never going to own one.

I thought I paid a lot for my Darwin but I reckon I could sell it now for double what I paid.

Bonkers!

I have Tony to thank for saving me a shed load of money and disappointment with regards to the Eclipse, borrowed his last year and found it to be rubbish.

That was after having a few bids on the Bay and all of them passing the £100 mark.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gillette-Adjustable-Safety-Razor-with-spare-blades-Bristle-Badger-Brush-New-/221060120092?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item337835be1c#ht_1608wt_1270

:icon_eek:

It's funny. If you look back at the last 6 years of shaving forum history, every few months somebody mentions the rising price of safety razors. I remember buying NOS fatboys and toggles on eBay for under $10 before the craze started. I doubt I'd venture to start a razor collection in this climate.

In all reality- its really free market economics at play- there is a finite supply of vintage DE's and a growing (maybe infinite ;) ) demand for them, so price must rise!

Tom said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gillette-Adjustable-Safety-Razor-with-spare-blades-Bristle-Badger-Brush-New-/221060120092?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item337835be1c#ht_1608wt_1270

:icon_eek:
I still don't have to much faith putting mine safety razors on ebay, in the past I never had much good luck with ebay.

I rather offer my stuff on the forums or local websites.

I agree with all of you on the eBay prices. Seems like the priced are all up and; quality and variation has headed south! Wouldn't mind a slight increase but these are a little over the top.
I also notice that many items are left not bid on or only bid on by one person!

Back
Top Bottom