What do you do for a living?

I served my apprenticeship in the shipyards as a burner (not my choice of career but family pressure etc) Just after serving my time the yards were closed and my skill was no longer needed. Shuffled from one job to the next after that not really settling in anything but managing to stay off the dole.

Nowerdays I take care of a disabled family member full time so you could say I am at work 24/7, frustrating at times and can be hard work but I don't mind really.

Jim

jim3rg said:
I served my apprenticeship in the shipyards as a burner (not my choice of career but family pressure etc) Just after serving my time the yards were closed and my skill was no longer needed. Shuffled from one job to the next after that not really settling in anything but managing to stay off the dole.

Nowerdays I take care of a disabled family member full time so you could say I am at work 24/7, frustrating at times and can be hard work but I don't mind really.

Jim

Well done Jim,

I am a full time dad in the last two years to an adopted little girl and it is not a well known fact that this is a 24/7 and it is the hardest job comparing to anything I did for a living so far (even fighting a war in the middle east at one point!).

So to any one one who is a carer well done!

I am the MD of my own Health and Social Care business.

However I have a date on Thursday with a rather attractive young lady so if she asks tell her I am a covert CIA operative who wrestles lions in his spare time!

I was in engineering up to 4 years ago. Apprenticeship, diploma, then on to a degree (BSc Quality Engineering & Materials Science). Spent most of my working life in Metrology, making bespoke automated measuring machines for a broad range if industries but mainly the food and beverage packaging industry (drinks cans and food tins, that sort of thing).

4 years ago quit employment to bring up the kids while my wife went back to work. She has her own business so it made financial sense. The eldest is 4 this month and starts school in September and the youngest is 2, so I'll be off with him for another couple of years.

It's hard work (very hard work), miss the social side of work more than anything, but it's been a great experience, and one not many fathers get the chance to have so I'm great flu for that, even if it is 24/7.

Shemen Zait said:
jim3rg said:

Jim

Well done Jim,

I am a full time dad in the last two years to an adopted little girl and it is not a well known fact that this is a 24/7 and it is the hardest job comparing to anything I did for a living so far (even fighting a war in the middle east at one point!).

So to any one one who is a carer well done!

It's not for the feint hearted thats for sure but it has its rewards knowing that she is well looked after and not left in some institution at the mercy of overworked and underpaid staff.

Congratulations on the adoption and best of luck for the future.

Jim

Electrical Engineer to trade, spent my apprenticeship in one of the first electronics companies in Scotland. Taught myself about PLC's and inverters and started repairing, installing, designing and building machines for Motorola, Compaq, IBM etc, electronics worked out really well in Scotland! Then after a few jobs as a service engineer in various forms, ie washing machines, dry cleaning, conveyors I retrained as a refrigeration engineer. But due to the very long hours I accepted a job I was offered out of the blue in a factory. 7-3:30 monday to friday with no overtime or call outs :) I maintain, repair and program the machines as well as do a lot of prototyping for new products in the building industry. In my spare time I make razor handles, shaving brushes and stands. I also make just about anything somebody needs, last week was a speed sensor unit for a triumph speed triple motorbike, this afternoon I made a piston ring compressor for some funny jap import bike. Most of all I enjoy problem solving and making things. After all that I get the occasional hour or two to play my didjeriduh and go for a walk with the family and the springers

Thought I'd replied to this thread but it must have been another.

I'm an IT manager for a large secondary school. Interesting job, 5 minute walk to work and I really enjoy working with kids (despite having none of my own).

However, we have had a new Principal for 6 months and my future is looking a lot less certain than it was. Be a damn shame if I had to leave (not least as I'd have to buy another car!) but we'll see.

Re: RE: What do you do for a living?

D4rk1 said:
I'm a security install engineer, so fit CCTV, intruder alarms and door access control systems. I'm near Walsall west mids if anyone needs a hand with anything.

Mark
I'm looking for a maybe 8 camera,30 day record CCTV system with monitor and locked cabinet for one of my sites in the Burton on Trent area (swadlincote) if you are interested in quoting. It may well be out your area? If so an indication on price would be good?

Another IT bod here.
Working in Support for a largish firm in South Birmingham.

D4rk1 - Good to know. Might need your services at some point.

Pretty sure West Brom will be in your cachment area.

ollie9091 said:
D4rk1 said:
I'm a security install engineer, so fit CCTV, intruder alarms and door access control systems. I'm near Walsall west mids if anyone needs a hand with anything.

Mark
I'm looking for a maybe 8 camera,30 day record CCTV system with monitor and locked cabinet for one of my sites in the Burton on Trent area (swadlincote) if you are interested in quoting. It may well be out your area? If so an indication on price would be good?

If you send me a google earth link to the site I can do a quick design and price no problem. I got married last sat so I'm sort of on a mini honeymoon at the moment. So bare with me time wise :icon_razz:
MrK1 said:
Another IT bod here.
Working in Support for a largish firm in South Birmingham.

D4rk1 - Good to know. Might need your services at some point.

Pretty sure West Brom will be in your cachment area.

Yeah no problem. Always happy to help.

Hope I'm not going to cause myself any grief with admin. I'm purely on hear to learn how to not slice my face off and get a good clean shave from time to time haha.

Mark

No pheasant pluckers?

I used to be a mad nuclear scientist (my childhood dream), but it turned out nothing like Dr Strangelove...so now I work in a normal lab at a big chemical company.

cootuk said:
No pheasant pluckers?

I used to be a mad nuclear scientist (my childhood dream), but it turned out nothing like Dr Strangelove...so now I work in a normal lab at a big chemical company.

If you look several pages back you will see I am a pheasant Plucker.
Still living the dream today :D

Back
Top Bottom