What did/does your old fella smell like?

I remember Kensitas! Blue, gold packaging with a bit of red and weren't they called Kensitas Club? The vending machine at the pub I worked in had 'em but I think all the brands had between 16 & 18 fags in them instead of the usual twenty. It's official, I'm old!

Jon_mooseuk said:
Welding fumes, furnaces and occasionally at weekends Denim or Old Spice. I do remember seeing an old Aramis bottle in the bathroom cabinet as a kid but I've no idea how it smells. He wasn't big on smells, still isn't.

Denzle said:
Old Spice and Kensitas. You older guys may remember them fags.

Gairdner said:
I remember Kensitas! Blue, gold packaging with a bit of red and weren't they called Kensitas Club? The vending machine at the pub I worked in had 'em but I think all the brands had between 16 & 18 fags in them instead of the usual twenty. It's official, I'm old!

Yeah, my old man wasnt big on smells. He used to ask me (and still does) "Are you wearing perfume"

I think his earlier favourite brand of cigs were Players number 6 if i remember correctly.

Proper dad smelled of buses, diesel and Benson and Hedges.
Step dad in later years smelled of car workshops / motor oil, and paco rabanne and breaker lager at the weekend.

Canuck said:
Proper dad smelled of buses, diesel and Benson and Hedges.
Step dad in later years smelled of car workshops / motor oil, and paco rabanne and breaker lager at the weekend.

+1 on the Breaker lager... after me mam got him off the Tennants super!!

Now he grows his own veg and makes his own Sloe Gin (doesnt have a 'still, puts sloe's in cheap morrissons gin and leaves it to brew).

Old Spice certainly seems a recurring theme here - my father did not use A/S in the morning but always used Old Spice after his evening shave.
He was a moderate smoker so I do not remember any odor of tobacco.
As to one's father saying "are you wearing perfume?" - his favorite whenever I was visiting was "I see the barbers in London are still on strike"

Joke - Little Johnny was on his way up to bed.
On the stairs he passed his father coming down in evening dress, and with a very disapproving look he said "Daddy you know wearing that suit always gives you a headache in the morning".

Engine oil and sweat. And stinky farts........ :-\

If he was going for an ordinary night out he splashed on the Old Spice and if it was a posh do then he used Aramis.

Nowadays he smells of hospitals............

I say my mate today and asked him, He does not do D/E or anything sharp. He said his dad smelt of fags and engine oil. There is definitely a theme. He's a dozen years younger than me and from the other end of England.
The Pub Landlords greatest line " God made the world round so that you could see everywhere and end up back in England." Not and exact quote but that is the gist of it.

Back
Top Bottom