What are you reading at the moment?

The launch of the Baskerville soap had me download "The Hound of the Baskervilles" from Project Gutenberg (free) onto my kindle. It is the first Holmes book I have read.I know and love Datmoor so interesting for that:good writing and atmosphere but not much mystery. I will try "A Study in Scarlet" next.

Gene Wolfe's "Book of The New Sun" Quadrilogy.
A blast from my teenage past, which time has rendered into an impression rather than a true memory. Totally forgotten it was four books amongst many other things, like huge chunks of the plot, the style and so on. It's turned into quite a strange journey with some parts crashing into place others flowing along like old friends. Excellent.

Just started Apache. I bought it ages ago but never got past chapter 1 for whatever reason. It does seem good though.

d6b27245c21d4ee57386332c0e4046a2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just started Apache. I bought it ages ago but never got past chapter 1 for whatever reason. It does seem good though.

d6b27245c21d4ee57386332c0e4046a2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I listened to this on Audio book - Wow what a listen and probably a good read as well.

When I finished I tweeted that I had read it and got a response from the author. Ed Macy isn't his real name due to the high profile of the Apache pilots.

I mention my average monthly fuel costs and said if I saved up would he be able to take me up in, or to even have a walk round. Unfortunately due to government restrictions I was declined.

Enjoy

Last edited:
If you like the Brown stuff (which I personally don't) try Umberto Eco "The Name of the Rose" and "Foulcault's Pendulum" the first one especially is leagues better than Brown and the film of the same name. I will have to re-read it again.

Half way through it at the moment. I think the uncle is great, not to keen on the German officers

The writer clearly has elements of genius. There are some superb thumbnail sketches of scenes that are as visually arresting as anything by John Williams but the guy can't seem to maintain the quality throughou the book. I also found the Americanisms a distraction. The author makes a point of trying to immerse you in wartime France and then talks about 'loafers' and 'cookies'. I'm pretty sure there is no such term as 'anti-air' either. He means anti-aircraft guns.

The writer clearly has elements of genius. There are some superb thumbnail sketches of scenes that are as visually arresting as anything by John Williams but the guy can't seem to maintain the quality throughou the book. I also found the Americanisms a distraction. The author makes a point of trying to immerse you in wartime France and then talks about 'loafers' and 'cookies'. I'm pretty sure there is no such term as 'anti-air' either. He means anti-aircraft guns.
Yes agreed. I find the quality of the story telling a wee bit all over the place at some points and there is no continuity of the story line. There are parts that grip me and I blast my through to the next chapter, only to find we have change location from France to Germany, then when we go back to France the story I was reading previously is discontinued!

Slow Horses by Mick Herron
9781473641105.jpg
Story of "Slough House", where washed up staff from the security services are dumped to do useless tasks until they do the decent thing and resign. Fantastic story and characters. First of three Slough House books and the head horse Jackson Lamb

Back
Top Bottom