What are you reading at the moment?

After finishing the grass arena by Jhon Healy which was a fantastic could not put down book I have started to re read the classic 1984 by the late great George Orwell, I have read this book many times but as the years pass I seem to understand more or just look at things differently and this has to be one of the best books of modern times.

41CXWC5C1EL._SX302_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Yeah weird I know. I don't believe in ghosts and shit but the nazis did put a lot of resources behind this and its damn interesting into exactly what they tried and the man power searching for specific artifacts. Its not all Dr Jones :) Anyway I love history
IMG_20160911_221237.jpg

Grimm's Tales For Young And Old - Translated by Ralph Manheim

"A triumphant new rendering of the two hundred and ten German folktales...rediscovered in the original German editions of the Grimm's works...in which they were first recorded"

What do you think? I've got it on my Amazon wish list but not got around to buying it yet.

...like many people I was brought up on these tales, what surprised me is that the original tales are so much darker although they remain wonderful stories. Tales for Young and Old is a title apparently much closer to the German 'Kindeund Hausmarchen' than Fairy Tales. I purchased this edition because it has the complete stories. I can recommend the book, it is great for dipping in and out of and the back cover strapline '...he has restored the extraordinary vitality and wit, the acute perceptions of human strength and fragility' is spot-on. However the Penquin Classic edition also gets great reviews (translation) but I am not sure if it includes all of the Grimm's tales.

...like many people I was brought up on these tales, what surprised me is that the original tales are so much darker although they remain wonderful stories. Tales for Young and Old is a title apparently much closer to the German 'Kindeund Hausmarchen' than Fairy Tales. I purchased this edition because it has the complete stories. I can recommend the book, it is great for dipping in and out of and the back cover strapline '...he has restored the extraordinary vitality and wit, the acute perceptions of human strength and fragility' is spot-on. However the Penquin Classic edition also gets great reviews (translation) but I am not sure if it includes all of the Grimm's tales.
Thankyou very much for the info.

Rereading Jane Austen at the moment. Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility done and just starting on Mansfield Park. Annoyingly I paid 99p on Kindle for a collected works but the Table of Contents doesn't work and Lady Susan doesn't seem to be included as advertised. Oh yes and no page numbers just sodding 'locations' whatever the chuff they are.

Bothered Amazon and got it refunded, immediately bought a different collected works which has all the books and fragments short stories and letters etc and actually has a table of contents that works. Page system is fried though all but the first one start on page 222 sigh!

23462414.jpg
Currently reading
"Live From New York: The Complete, Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live as Told by Its Stars, Writers, and Guests"
by James Andrew Miller & Tom Shales

I'm struggling to get into the book at the moment as it's very heavy with interviews with different perspectives on the same event and it's not really painting an overall picture to work with.

Just read 'Brody's Ghost' by Mark Crilley

51rnLzBdUwL._AC_US160_.jpg

and also have 'All The Light We Cannot See' on the go as well.

511qpsWcTyL._AC_US160_.jpg

I've been doing Kindle for a fair number of years now. Started with the Kindle Keyboard, then moved to Paperwhite and stayed there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom