What are you driving?

IanM said:
Vinny - My first car was also an Imp!

I loved mine.

Like the proverbial off a what's name from a standing start - which used to annoy XR3i boy-racers but they'd always have the last laugh 50 yards later when I was still trundling along at 30 with cogs and bolts cascading out the back.

Nice GTV Antdad :cool:

I ran Lancia's for years, but have an A4 now (hence the username, it's not a Wilkinson Sword thing!)

Nuvolaris001edit2.jpg

...and there was me thinking you loved the Wilkinson Sword quattro multiblade thingy...I do have a soft spot for old Lancia's though maybe a nice Fulvia one day.

A BMW118D M Sport , it's a company car. Low emissions (cheap company tax), would sit a steady at 130mph on the M6 toll road (if I had ever done that..... :cool: :cool: ) and if I stick to the legal limit get 65 to the gallon. And if you take the traction control off you can get it sideways if you want, but obviously as an older driver I would never do that !! And of course the best part (after the company tax), I just pay for private fuel.
But I think I am having a mid life crisis as I am looking to buy a Caterham 7 for the weekends...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

missingskin said:
But I think I am having a mid life crisis as I am looking to buy a Caterham 7 for the weekends...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
If you buy a catheram, I could never speak to you again, since I would be overly jealous! Importing Catherams to France is a bitch, otherwise I'd already have one.. my backup plan is the Elise.

And yes, a rwd when you turn off traction control is a good giggle. :lol: (I can even throw it sideways with TC on, just not as good)
An Elise or a Cat would be lovely, but since I only want one car, it might be a bit awkward as a daily runner.... (but doable!)

FB.

I had a Caterham. If you get the chance, do it. I'd have another one tomorrow. I've also had various VW GTI's (Golfs and Sciroccos), tuned to varying degrees, and a few Vtec Hondas - the DOHC versions, not the ones tuned for economy.

I now have a Focus diesel. Which is a company car and costs the square root of sod all, because it does 53mpg and (other than the tax) I just pay for my private fuel.

Regards

Ian

missingskin said:
...would sit a steady at 130mph on the M6 toll road (if I had ever done that..... :cool: :cool: )...
I admire the patience of all of you in the UK driving in roads full of speed cameras, of apparently tight control on speed limits, etc.
I guess it is more or less, to a certain extent, the same in all northern Europe - which makes driving life pretty 'suffocating' may I say. At least this is perhaps how one who loves driving and occasional speeding would view it.

Daily drive is a 2 wheel drive Toyota hilux For banging backwards and forwards to work.

For days out and long distance touring a new shape turbo diesel Honda civic sport. Very comfortable 60mpg and alot quicker than it looks.

And my baby for glorious days out in the sun and the biggest adrenaline rush you can get.

Picture032.jpg

N_Architect said:
missingskin said:
...would sit a steady at 130mph on the M6 toll road (if I had ever done that..... :cool: :cool: )...
I admire the patience of all of you in the UK driving in roads full of speed cameras, of apparently tight control on speed limits, etc.
I guess it is more or less, to a certain extent, the same in all northern Europe - which makes driving life pretty 'suffocating' may I say. At least this is perhaps how one who loves driving and occasional speeding would view it.

Thankfully where I say there is no traffic density as such, apart from weekend holiday season. There is not a single set of traffic lights between my house and work and it is an A road, I can complete the journey in around 5 minutes, and a few more to park up. We have two traffic cameras in a 20 mile radius and mobile traffic cameras are not often implemented and well known before they do so. Biggest danger for us is spot checks for bald tyres and a rare traffic polis, I never let my tyres go below 3mm so worst case is 3 points and fixed pentaly for speeding slightly (never really boot the backside out of it in straight lines, I live fast corners through). Driving is quite pleasurable where I live, lots of twisty roads and good sections with nice road cambers, mind you it does kill a few tourists a month who are not used to the road.

Currently I drive this Z4, I don't really need a car for work so it is the single car in the household. Two seats have a nice side benefit of not having to give lifts to drunk people (apart from the wife or me) when either of us has been out on a night out. When we go together it is a taxi and I can borrow my brothers Golf or Van when I need more space.

The dilemma I have is that it is due to be replaced March/April time frame but not found anything that grabs me (driving wise) like this does. I have had many car's in my time (used to work in the trade) but apart from the marmite looks, which I do like this has been the most fun car I have owned. I would love an old Alfa or 911 , something classic but I need the reassurance of warranty and reliability and it can be no more than one year old to stay within my company contribution, it not a company car I just take a car allowance.

It needs to be new or under one year old (for company allowances), more so it has to put a smile on my face every time I turn the key or look at it in the driveway. Bikes scare me and 4 wheel drives are just not for me so they are out. Don't mind a coupe, ragtop/convertible or even a nice saloon (an Audi S5 or R8 would be very nice). Fuel economy is not a factor (under 10K miles a year).

Currently I drive this Z4, I don't really need a car for work so it is the single car in the household. It has a nice side benefit of not having to give lifts to drunk people (apart from the wife or me) when either of us has been out on a night out. When we go together it is a taxi.

The dilemma I have is that it is due to be replaced March/April time frame but not found anything that grabs me (driving wise) like this does. I have had many car's in my time (used to work in the trade) but apart from the marmite looks, which I do like this has been the most fun car I have owned. I would love an old Alfa or 911 , something classic but I need the reassurance of warranty and reliability as it is the only car we own.

Any suggestions for my new car?

z4800.jpg

A Hyundai Elantra CDX Crtd 2.0 TDI, a lot of name for not a lot of car.

5 years old, 176.348 miles from new (2005) still going strong for work and pleasure (well not really pleasure, just A to B).

Like Pigcat i just cant get excited about cars. For me its a functional item no more.
If it runs smoothly and will deliver me to my destination in relative comfort without costing the earth in petrol.. im a happy bunny.

Not to mention that 90% of the cars use is for shopping and the school run (which goes away next year anyway..).

So i drive a 2008 1.6 Astra - Not very exciting, but it does everything i want of it.

Back
Top Bottom