Well Helloooo Again....

Definitely must get my bike fixed up then. New tyres, a bit of tweaking, oiling and a bit spit and polish should do it. You always here how walking is the best exercise but I'll be incorporating more cycling instead.

Ta muckle.

Dodgy! LTB! How hangs it ye wonderful forumites?

Yep, you've gone and done it again you naughty American. Vintage Old Spice wonderfulness - the olfactory holy grail for nostalgic commoners like me. Not shaving today but when I eventually do deign to enter upon the falling water cubicle, I'm a-splashing some of that glorious cologne on afterwards. Smell like a man, man! If you have any, I'll gladly part with some electronic currency....

Steve, how's the veggies mate? Got a compliment on Mater and Pater's garden (one's permanent residence these days and pottering around their green and pleasant patch keeps me occupied) when the local Scotland's Garden Scheme rep wanted us to open the garden to the public to show it off. I declined as I feel it is not ready yet but lots of visitors who were attending the two open gardens in our street commented on how lovely the garden was and why wasn't it open. They'll be down our way in two years time so I'm under orders to prepare the ground, as it were. Honestly, some folk have no taste.

Anybody seen NotThe Stig and Smallbeard? Them's my buddies (nearly typed biddies instead! :D) and I miss 'em. And the Vinnster. And Chris with the Michael Caine avatar - very clever chap which means I don't understand 50% of what he says and 50 % of that is on the very limit of my shriveled walnut. Hope IanM is doing well and Northam Saint and Cyril Hairsuite too (generous fellow that he is). Anybody seen WiffWaff Steve or has he gone back to his leccy shaver or grown a beard again?

Now stop it you lot, this foruming is hard work and I've get to get back to doing buggerall, I mean nothing.....:D

Hello Graeme. Good to see you again.

Carl!!! Bloody to good to read your words, mate. I remember you wishing me a happy birthday via Google +1 Circles or something like that. Sorry for not getting back in touch with you and thanks for thinking of me at the time.

Hope work is treating you well and the Mrs and lad are both fine.

All the very best, my very good sir!

Wow Graeme, sounds like you're making great progress with your exercise and weight loss, you could easily out press up and sit up me. Great work mate.
I had forgotten how friendly this forum was as I haven't been around much lately, feels like I've just found my favourite comfy slippers.

TP, how could I have forgotten you? Bought my first DE razor from you back in August 2012. You're a straight man these days, eh? Not that you were ever bent in the first place, of course.....:p Thanks for the welcome mate. :)

Cheers to you Gary, I look forward to seeing more of your restorations and shave combinations. You were always kind to me sir and I won't forget it. :)

Cheers Steve, I need the upper body strength to lift my wee girl - one of the youngest in her class but taller than all the boys and well built. She's like a throwback to my Granny Fraser who was stronger than most men, had the most intimidating aura and was the ideal candidate for chucking out time at your average working men's club. Aw shite, it's Peg, ah'm aff hame! I reckon the ex and I might just have bred a future Scotland Women's Rugby left prop forward! It helps round the garden with landscaping tasks too. My neighbour had a whole load of hardcore type 1 and sharp sand delivered so I offered to lend a hand. Now Des is just over fifty but a fitter guy I've never known - he still runs and cycles competitively. A 10 mile run is a gentle training exercise to him and it ain't jogging 'cos these buggers get offended if you call 'em joggers. Anyhoo he was surprised that I could take two full tubtrugs of sand to his one smaller trug but then I asked him how far he thought I could run. End of the road mate just as far as yon ambulance was his humorous response!

MattyB with one of my favourite avatars on this hallowed turf. Good to hear from you, chief. Still got that Chubby two band super?

Need to go back to my Ingram Avatar but I'm keeping Compo's quote in my sig line.

Last edited:
Cheers to you too, missingskin. It ain't easy but you have to start somewhere. I started by just trying to get through two days whereby I didn't eat between meals i.e. crisps biscuits, cake, chocolate bars and any old shite. That was really hard but I felt good after it then thought right, let's do another two days and don't think beyond that. Slightly easier that time given I was bolstered by the first two days success. Then I slowly but surely tried to watch my portion sizes which again wasn't easy especially as I've never met a single other person that could put away as much as me in a single sitting or over the course of a day.

Although my depression and anxiety hold me back severely, I vowed to get out walking my dog Toby more. I had been guilty of just going to the garden gate and throwing the ball along the street to keep him exercised but again slowly but surely the walking has got better with me going further and faster and even, heavens above, jogging up the odd set of steps although I have to go less travelled routes where I stand less chance of meeting people. Even if it means popping a few of the stronger diazepams, I'll do it just to get out.

Being a keen gardener has helped as weeding the borders, cutting the grass, trimming the hedges (I only use hand shears as power tools and I don't get on) and planting helps keep me active, burning a few calories and it's therapeutic too.

Now, here's a thing that might sound strange: a few months ago I started making my bed really vigourously. Sounds daft but there's a cover at the bottom to protect the duvet from the Tobster so every day I shake that madly for as long as I can, then I shake the duvet like a man possessed for as long as I can. I batter seven bells out of the pillows in order to plump them up and I have four cushions in my room each of which I plump up as vigourously as possible for as long as I can. By the time the bed is made, I'm sweating profusely and breathing heavily so I know it must be burning calories and helping me get my wind back. Also, anytime (apart from first thing in the morning when I'm dead groggy) I go up the stairs, I run up them two steps at a time. None of this sounds like much but if you keep doing it long enough, it makes a difference I can tell you. Another thing is showering. Because I'm a large chap fatwise, I sweat a lot so now when I shower I go super vigourous by rubbing myself everywhere (not there, mate, too much risk of injury!) like a tasmanian devil and dry myself the same way i.e. till my arms and shoulders ache. Yep, helluva unorthodox but it helps, trust me.

Then I started doing some press-ups. At first I could manage ten and then only just. That went on every second day for a wee while till I built in some situps but only managing fifteen of those which was also a struggle. I've been keeping that up for a good while now and last night I managed a total of 128 press ups (7 sets), 105 situps (4 sets), 66 leg raises (4 sets), 150 calf lifts where I stand on my toes and lower my heels to almost but not quite touching the ground and back up again (1 set), 20 squats in a single set where I stand on my toes, keep a straight back and bend my need then push back up again. I also bought myself a grip trainer which is rated at 150lb. I thought I had a pretty decent grip with all the gardening but when I first got this infernal thing I could only close it with my right hand and only 3 or 4 times whereas now I manage 85 with my right hand over 4 sets and 80 with the left over the same. I can almost close it every time with my right hand but my left lags behind. I hope to buy the 200lb version soon. That wee workout was on top of an afternoon gardening and trying to help my dad repairthe summer house - me brawn, hims brains!

Little steps lead to bigger ones and its ok to have a bad day or even a rough week as long as you get back at it. I've gone from nearly bursting out of stretchy 46" waist jeans to having room in size 40". XXL and some XXXL has now become a roomy and comfortable XL whereas my shirt collar has gone from 18.5 to 17. I eat more fruit and veg and don't bother with biscuits or crisps at all. Mother complains that I eat all the carrots because when I'm hungry, I go peel one and get all Bugs Bunny with it. I try to eat foods with less fat and less sugar but I don't go mad as its about portion control really.

I've a way to go yet and I want to get properly fit so I can have fun with my daughter, running around daft and live longer so I can be there for her.

Yer can do it because I said so, right?

Hi Graeme you have given me some ideas to work with. Walking/running are a major problem for me due to back injury but a lot of the rest may be a possibility also swimming/aquarobics has been suggested. Something has to be done for my benefit but as you say small things .........

John, you nutcase! You aye had a grand sense of humour so I look forward to more of your banter! :)

Steve of the skin, swimming is great and there ain't no need to go too daft. If you are doing things round the house, trying doing the odd thing with a bit more vigour, If you have stairs, walk up and down them a bit more than you normally would. Another thing is washing your hands. Seriously, anytime you have to do it do it really vigourously till your arms ache. As long as the skin on your hands is reasonably tough it should take it. Polishing shoes is another one - give it the vigour treatment when rubbing in the polish and when brushing off/shining. Give it a week or two of cutting down on the eating and add in some of these little things and ou will start to feel better. Eighteen months ago, I'd be breathless walking 500 yds round the block and my gardening was done in fits and starts with more tea breaks than actual work. Yesterday evening, I walked nearly 4 miles and at a good pace too. Felt fine afterwards and I'd been doing some major tree pruning at a neighbour's earlier in the day. I'm now signing off to go to my press-ups, etc. Stick in, fella. :)

Well my doctor tells me I'm only a grade "B" nutcase these days Graeme, for what ever that grading is to represent, one can only assume that an "A" would be more dangerous got to have something to aspire to :D He He

Aspiration, inspiration and elevation but not constipation. Work that one out with a pencil.....:eek:

Done me exercises and now sweatily expiring in a corner. As the Vinnster would say - job jobbed!

Back
Top Bottom