United/Moyes - Where has it all gone so wrong?

Apparently there will be some angry fans on a fly pass today.

Bj1fSQxCUAApGMx.jpg:large

Al H said:
I thought Leeds were first mate

tonyspurs said:
He won the league with Derby then went to Leeds then won the league with Forest followed by 2 European cups

That's right - I should have said 'fell to earth' instead of 'then fell to earth'.

I don't think Moyes will be out of a job for long. I can see the likes of Aston Villa approaching him - might suit him as well.

Northam Saint said:
fozz77 said:
It is rumoured that moyes will get 25mil pay out.

It always beats me how managers get the sack for not performing as expected and getting massive pay offs. Same as bankers and MD's of large companies.

Or you could say, 'the same as anyone with a contract that has been prematurely terminated by one party'.

Unless a stipulated performance achievement was built into the contract, which Moyes failed to achieve, then he is entitled to compensation. I doubt that the League Managers Association would allow their standard contract to stipulate a level of achievement.

There's an article on Eurosport which claims that a stipulation in his contract means they only have to pay one years worth of severance pay (£4.5m) as the club finished outside of the top four in his first season. Obviously all rumour but could also be another reason why it's just happened now. Mathematically impossible to finish in the top after the game against Everton.

Have to question the timing of the sacking, yes they've done badly this season but with 4 games to go? What difference would it make if he went in the summer after the season's ended? I doubt whoever comes in if its a caretaker or interim would be able to do much anyway!

I'm enjoying the downfall of Utd though, even though us Gooners didn't manage to beat them this season and never scored a goal against them either.

Giggs has been confirmed as interim manager

DPTC said:
Have to question the timing of the sacking, yes they've done badly this season but with 4 games to go? What difference would it make if he went in the summer after the season's ended? I doubt whoever comes in if its a caretaker or interim would be able to do much anyway!

I'm enjoying the downfall of Utd though, even though us Gooners didn't manage to beat them this season and never scored a goal against them either.

The season is over for Utd anyway. Be interesting to see his first line up though considering Moyes never figured out a best 11. If nothing else I think the players will respond to Giggs.

That's what I meant, not much to play for so might as well play the 4 remaining games and then shelve Moyes off.

I for one never see what the fuss is over Tom Cleverley, is he really that rated? I haven't seen him do much for him to warrant a place in the starting 11.

I remember reading a quote from him proclaiming that had he been Spanish everyone would be saying how good he is due to the amount of passes he makes! I'm a Utd fan but he is certainly no English Xavi. Paul Scholes said it best when he commented that since Cleverly's early promise whilst on loan at Wigan he hasn't developed. Much like Smalling or Jones or Nani or Anderson or Macheda or Fabio etc etc

DPTC said:
That's what I meant, not much to play for so might as well play the 4 remaining games and then shelve Moyes off.

I for one never see what the fuss is over Tom Cleverley, is he really that rated? I haven't seen him do much for him to warrant a place in the starting 11.

I certainly don't see him getting ahead of Wilshere in the England set up, Arsenal fan or not I wouldn't pick him to start.

Looks like a lot of players will be shipped out this summer, Nani and the like, a big rebuilding programme is needed, I actually thought Mata was a good signing now he's playing in the no.10 position, in attack they're alright its just further back they need to address.

I agree. Attacking wise, Utd at least on paper are well stocked. Mata in the no. 10 position seems to allow Kagawa to show his class. Be nice to see Januzaj on the right. It's pretty clear why Ferguson played Rooney out of position last season on the left though when Van Persie started. Rooney behind him just doesn't work. But who do you drop? In saying that it's much easier to be a keyboard manager than the real thing.

Rooney and van Persie are Utd's best strikers so both should play, Mata in behind would leave too much exposure in midfield though. I know Rooney is an excellent team player and works very hard but he shouldn't be shunted out to the left, esp if he ain't going to play there in the World Cup, but him and Mata would take up the same positions all the time.

Think at times cos of his reputation Moyes was too scared to drop or sub van Persie, even if he was having a shocker of a game, instead someone else went off.

If its going to be a front 2 of Rooney/van Persie and Mata in behind it'd have to be a 4-3-1-2 with a trio of energetic box-to-box midfielders. Someone in the Yaya Toure mould.

Back
Top Bottom