TSR Epsilon LE 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I think unless we have a hand turned handle in algae with an epsilon knot both from vie-long I'm out[emoji4]. Hope it works out tho[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yh lets wait and see what Juan has to say first.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Nishy is right, please wait for clarification from the vendor.
I have some experience of die-cast & injection moulding, not an expert.
I do know that the tooling cost for a mould that would make 2 handles at a time would be
circa £3-5k. It won't be right first time and will need some mods.
You go through this pain when you want to make 1000s of parts very quickly
with reduced piece-part cost.
Not viable for 30 pieces. There are small run systems such as manu-mold, they still have set up costs that would be prohibitive, these systems exist to batch trial before sinking 100k+ into some tooling to then find it doesn't meet with some legislative requirement e.g. automotive.

If resin blanks can be supplied, as it has been offered, they must be turning them to size.
To set up the cnc lathe they need a 2d picture at least and more likely a 3d step file which maps
the part as a stack up of slices through the object a bit like an MRI scanner in a hospital.
I suspect that is why a handle is being asked for. Taking spot measurements won't do.

A 2d drawing or 3d cad model is probably what they want, if you sent them a brush someone would still have to draw it.

Anyways what I saying: doubt handle wiill be injection moulded for a run of 30.
Please give them a chance to reply.

I'm interested in getting one, Nishy can you help me choose?
My favourite brush by some way is a tgc synthetic. I have a vulfix and a Kent badger, find
them too floppy, I'll pm you if that's okay?

Nishy is right, please wait for clarification from the vendor.
I have some experience of die-cast & injection moulding, not an expert.
I do know that the tooling cost for a mould that would make 2 handles at a time would be
circa £3-5k. It won't be right first time and will need some mods.
You go through this pain when you want to make 1000s of parts very quickly
with reduced piece-part cost.
Not viable for 30 pieces. There are small run systems such as manu-mold, they still have set up costs that would be prohibitive, these systems exist to batch trial before sinking 100k+ into some tooling to then find it doesn't meet with some legislative requirement e.g. automotive.

If resin blanks can be supplied, as it has been offered, they must be turning them to size.
To set up the cnc lathe they need a 2d picture at least and more likely a 3d step file which maps
the part as a stack up of slices through the object a bit like an MRI scanner in a hospital.
I suspect that is why a handle is being asked for. Taking spot measurements won't do.

A 2d drawing or 3d cad model is probably what they want, if you sent them a brush someone would still have to draw it.

Anyways what I saying: doubt handle wiill be injection moulded for a run of 30.
Please give them a chance to reply.

I'm interested in getting one, Nishy can you help me choose?
My favourite brush by some way is a tgc synthetic. I have a vulfix and a Kent badger, find
them too floppy, I'll pm you if that's okay?
Thanks JayGee, yes that fine. I'm hoping to clarify the situation ASAP.

If I may add my 2 cents to this: I would be jumping on this, but:

I have/had an Epsilon 2-band - one of the best priced brushes out there IMO. A couple of days before this thread started, I dropped the brush and cracked the handle. While at first furious - I was actually quiet relieved, because the handle is by far the worst part of this brush...

I therefore contacted a well known artisan brush maker and my old brush is already on its way to get a new handle :)

From what I have seen and heard G&C always have some issues with their Epsilon handles. I have a first generation Epsilon (horse) as well, and while that handle is nicer than the 2nd and subsequent generation handles - it is nowhere near as nice as a really nice turned handle (your Shavemac LE's, Paladin, etc. etc. etc.).

I also would assume that G&C would order the brush from the same company that makes their Epsilon handles?

Anyway, I would try to order the knots from Juan separately and have them set by someone you trust...just my thoughts...

Hm! I fear a Shavemac knot stuck into a Cadman handle would not qualify as a Vie-Long Epsilon brush. Could be wrong about that, though.
That would be correct Carl. No argument there from me. We will have to see what happens. It'll all come out in the wash one way or the other.

I did ask Juan if we could purchase the knots alone some time back, and having asked VL they said no. The 28mm is a first for the them too, alongside the anchor and algae.

If I may add my 2 cents to this: I would be jumping on this, but:

I have/had an Epsilon 2-band - one of the best priced brushes out there IMO. A couple of days before this thread started, I dropped the brush and cracked the handle. While at first furious - I was actually quiet relieved, because the handle is by far the worst part of this brush...

I therefore contacted a well known artisan brush maker and my old brush is already on its way to get a new handle :)

From what I have seen and heard G&C always have some issues with their Epsilon handles. I have a first generation Epsilon (horse) as well, and while that handle is nicer than the 2nd and subsequent generation handles - it is nowhere near as nice as a really nice turned handle (your Shavemac LE's, Paladin, etc. etc. etc.).

I also would assume that G&C would order the brush from the same company that makes their Epsilon handles?

Anyway, I would try to order the knots from Juan separately and have them set by someone you trust...just my thoughts...
Thanks Alfredus. First time I've heard someone happy about dropping their brush [emoji14]

I think the handle gets a lot of abuse. Yes it is lighter and not superbly ergonomic but definitely not the worst. I quite like their shapes such as:
http://www.vielong.com/products/Shaving-brush-16454/23
Only issue is wanting a 28mm we need a larger sturdier handle shape (such as the anchor). Anyhow I'm hoping to hear again from Juan today and will be confirming the option of a sample brush if we have the required numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom