This may sound like a wind up to some...

...but t's a genuine question. Can a DE blade be used a couple of times then removed, turned over and replaced and re used? Will it shave better after turning? Or is it that the cutting edge/angle is set for when the blade is put into the razor with the 'top' being as it comes out of the wrapper with it's writing....and the 'bottom' being where you open the single packet? Basically...can a DE blade be put in a razor the wrong way?

You're not the first to ask this question. The consensus is that there is no benefit to turning blades over, or none that anybody notices. You could try it and see what you think I suppose.

There's only one cutting edge which will dull no matter what way the blade is placed, get into the habit of swapping between edges while shaving to get an even amount of wear between the two.

That is the hardest cartridge shaving habit for me to lose, shaving with one side of the razor only! My mantra has to be "rinse, turn, rinse, turn" but what with departing little grey cells and all ....

I found using both sides hard as well. I now do the first pass with one side, then the second pass with the other side. I touch up using either side randomly.
As I use a Feather blade it then gets removed and disposed of ready for a new blade the next day. I can only get 1 day out of these blades, but they do seem to work better than any others for me.

I generally use my blades for a week and I turn mid-week and as I do this I do a quick palm strop on both edges, both sides.
Do I notice the difference?
Yes I think so. But that may be placebo, it may be genuine, it may be due to the turning, it may be due to the palm stropping.
As the septics say... YMMV

No benefit to flipping the blade in my opinion, it only has 2 cutting edges ground evenly on both sides, not four edges.

Also there's no difference to the grind of the blade depending on which way up it is on taking it out of the wrapper, it'll go in any way.
A lot of makes have the logo printed on both sides anyway. I'm struggling to think of some that are printed on one side only... Bolzano spring to mind, that's as much as I can remember.

Bechet45 said:
That is the hardest cartridge shaving habit for me to lose, shaving with one side of the razor only! My mantra has to be "rinse, turn, rinse, turn" but what with departing little grey cells and all ....

Time for a quality single edge mayhap .................................

JohnnyO. \:angel:

JohnnyO said:
Bechet45 said:

Time for a quality single edge mayhap .................................

JohnnyO. \:angel:

These's still two sides to that story too... More seeing that they are thick enough to hone and strop!:)-)

I did flip the blades over after 2 days, but found no real difference. If there are numbers printed on the blade it is to identify the side and edge of the blade.

Back
Top Bottom