Thinking of getting a kindle

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a kindle, but can;t decided if I would be better waiting and getting a keyboardless one with 3G or getting one with the keyboard referb or second hand or just get a WIFI one. How useful is the 3G? Cheers, Ed

monkeytennis said:
Hi all, I am thinking of getting a kindle, but can;t decided if I would be better waiting and getting a keyboardless one with 3G or getting one with the keyboard referb or second hand or just get a WIFI one. How useful is the 3G? Cheers, Ed

3G would only really be useful if you travel a lot, to areas with no free wifi, and haven't downloaded the books you want to the device beforehand.

I have had the 3g version since last Xmas and can't remember having used the 3g more than a couple of times to check if it was working!

The keyboard is useful for searching for text, or if you do use the web browser, otherwise if you have a smart phone or netbook, you'll be fine getting the keyboardless wifi only one - if money is not an issue, get the full monty, keyboard, 3g etc.

Either way, get one, you'll love it!

Presumably, if you have a mobile phone that can be set up as a wireless hotspot, then you can just set up the kindle to connect to the phone's wifi hub and then download via the phone's GPRS

True.I'd totally forgotten about using phone as a hotspot...think that's sorted then!!!after some reading seems you can use multiple kindles on one account so I can get my wife one as well and we can share all the books!!!

I have a wifi only and I can honestly say it is one of the best gadgets I have bought. I got it last Christmas and have used in extensively this year.

Cheers, Rousy

I really can't advise you which particular model to buy. What I would say is just buy one of them!! I have read more books since getting mine at the beginning of October than I have in the last year. Perhaps it's just because I like gadgets. I can certainly say that for me, to be able to read while I eat my lunch and not have to keep the book open with a variety of heavy objects, is a big plus. I don't like bending a book's spine so they never stay open properly. Also having the cover with a light is nice as it allows me to read in bed without having the bedside light on. I can highly recommend the Kindle.

i would say get the one with the keyboard like ive got

otherwise it is hard to put them in collection on the kindle (there term for folders)

you want to get a program called calibre to help you rename the books because you cant have folders inside folders

in other words if you own a lot of books like me, you have to put them in collections naming the series or you can never find the book you want or rather remember the name of it

shanky887614 said:
i would say get the one with the keyboard like ive got

otherwise it is hard to put them in collection on the kindle (there term for folders)

you want to get a program called calibre to help you rename the books because you cant have folders inside folders

in other words if you own a lot of books like me, you have to put them in collections naming the series or you can never find the book you want or rather remember the name of it

The new Kindle without the keyboard has an "onscreen keyboard" so you can still manage collections and anything else that you'd use the keyboard for. It may take a bit longer that's all.

I have the non 3G version with the keyboard. I've never came across a situation were I wished I had the 3G functionality and I could easily live without the keyboard.

My wife has a keyboard non 3g one and we both love it. So much so that I've just bought the new keyboardless kindle for myself. You can get them for £79 from tesco direct at the moment with a code.

I didn't need the keyboard or 3G. You might be different but if you are just reading then the keyboard is pretty redundant.

sjedwardz said:
My wife has a keyboard non 3g one and we both love it. So much so that I've just bought the new keyboardless kindle for myself. You can get them for £79 from tesco direct at the moment with a code.

I didn't need the keyboard or 3G. You might be different but if you are just reading then the keyboard is pretty redundant.

i just perfer the look of the keyboard one, but then im the guy that runs linux for fun and custom firmware on phone

if i was 30-40 years older, id be the guy that takes things apart like cars and modifies them for fun

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
If you choose the £89 one you can use this code at Tesco for £10 off then collect instore for the grand total of £79!

TDX-NTRY code runs out on the 1st of Dec. Have used it myself and it works fine.

Did that as well although as its a Christmas present to me I'm not allowed to open it and I'm itching to:angel::angel:

Back
Top Bottom