Things that really wind you up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SlowRain said:
pedro083 said:
Right so if this is a closed network it would not be possible for someone to set up a separate website selling ebooks and have them sent to your kindle through your amazon kindle e-mail address. I know I can send books from my computer to my kindle. Think that's the problem people are struggling to see what actually You mean by it's a closed network.

The closed network has more to do with Whispernet, as has already been explained in a previous post.

However, yes, you can buy books in another format (.mobi, I think) and send them to your Kindle or your Kindle app. Amazon's closed ecosystem is actually the other way around: you can't legally buy books from the major publishers from Amazon and read them on another e-reading device or using an app other than Amazon's own. It must be Amazon's, and Amazon's only. That will cause a problem if anyone dares to leave Amazon's ecosystem. If they want to legally switch to another e-reading device, they have to forfeit all of their Amazon e-books because those e-books will only work on the Kindle. If they find an app out there that's better than Amazon's Kindle app, they can't use it because Amazon won't let them. It's a very locked down and heavily controlled system. Not exactly open.

Hopefully, the US Department of Justice and the European Commission will investigate Amazon's anti-competition practices like they did Microsoft's. If they can get Amazon to share their proprietary .azw file format like Microsoft has to share their .doc file format, it will make it easier for customers to move between devices and apps at their free will (similar to how you can switch telecom companies but still keep your same phone number).

But you can use them on other devices you just get rid of the drm which is legal in the uk.(if it is not legal in your country maybe it's your government you should be angry with as they are the ones restricting you what you can do with your property) Same way making a copy of a cd you bought is as long as it's not for distribution also I was under the impression drm was something the publisher specified to have on as not all books on amazon have it. If you look at sonys or other ebook readers drm is also present.
I still don't get the whispernet thing though, as you said third party's can use it to deliver books to you(so not closed network) and of course the kindle is not a tablet so the other Internet stuff does not work very good, but if you wanted that you should have bought a tablet.

Hiya,

There's a few things that truly piss me off, and one of those is politicians trying to control me. It's very insulting to know that many of these people think I'm stupid enough to buy into their schtick. Most will lie like a bastard and use misdirection and half truths to further their own private agendas. I hate the fact these scumbags think they're smarter than me and are trying to fool me into believing something that just is not true (no matter how many times they say it). Heh, I'll stop now before getting wound up.

Martin

SlowRain said:
pedro083 said:
Right so if this is a closed network it would not be possible for someone to set up a separate website selling ebooks and have them sent to your kindle through your amazon kindle e-mail address. I know I can send books from my computer to my kindle. Think that's the problem people are struggling to see what actually You mean by it's a closed network.

The closed network has more to do with Whispernet, as has already been explained in a previous post.

However, yes, you can buy books in another format (.mobi, I think) and send them to your Kindle or your Kindle app. Amazon's closed ecosystem is actually the other way around: you can't legally buy books from the major publishers from Amazon and read them on another e-reading device or using an app other than Amazon's own. It must be Amazon's, and Amazon's only. That will cause a problem if anyone dares to leave Amazon's ecosystem. If they want to legally switch to another e-reading device, they have to forfeit all of their Amazon e-books because those e-books will only work on the Kindle. If they find an app out there that's better than Amazon's Kindle app, they can't use it because Amazon won't let them. It's a very locked down and heavily controlled system. Not exactly open.

Hopefully, the US Department of Justice and the European Commission will investigate Amazon's anti-competition practices like they did Microsoft's. If they can get Amazon to share their proprietary .azw file format like Microsoft has to share their .doc file format, it will make it easier for customers to move between devices and apps at their free will (similar to how you can switch telecom companies but still keep your same phone number).

Err all my Amazon purchased books can be read on my Galaxy S11 (Android) and my Macbook.............or are my phone and notebook magic?

missingskin said:
SlowRain said:
pedro083 said:

Err all my Amazon purchased books can be read on my Galaxy S11 (Android) and my Macbook.............or are my phone and notebook magic?

same with me, and i use this weird Japanese app thingy that most of the writing after first page is foreign

The latest thing it wind me up is that someone tried to 'hack' into my email while I was on holiday last week. MSN caught it but it's screwed up most of my email addresses ability to send out email over my iPhone. Been working on it for 2days now and still don't have it fixed!
New rules! Stay away from free hotel wifi and keep your bluetooth shut off.

This thread has really Kindled my interest, so I tried out Whispernet it's no good for me as I need a hearing aid.
How much is a Galaxy S11? is it economical with rocket fuel? does it come with just the one Android?
I went to McDonald's with the intention of buying a Macbook, they told me I was in the wrong place, and directed me to Orchard's.
The Amazon seems a long way to go for a book, I tried phoning the travel agent for an alternative but my mobi has given up the ghost.
All this stress has given me a stye I need an I Pad.

STRESS... My 10yr olds class at school has a Head Lice outbreak. We've kept her home this week and by luck none have showed up! The big question is if it will be over by next week? The last thing I need is the hassle of head lice for Christmas!! That's stress!

pedro083 said:
But you can use them on other devices you just get rid of the drm which is legal in the uk.(if it is not legal in your country maybe it's your government you should be angry with as they are the ones restricting you what you can do with your property)...

That is, admittedly, a very good point. At this time, however, most people purchasing books from Amazon don't have that option. I imagine Amazon is being two-faced about this, too. They put the blame for DRM onto the publishers, and rightly so as they're the ones insisting on it, but then Amazon also uses proprietary software to make compatibility with other devices more cumbersome. It is also possible they had grand dreams of being the industry standard and could then license out the format--that is until EPUB came along and messed up their plans.

pedro083 said:
I still don't get the whispernet thing though, as you said third party's can use it to deliver books to you(so not closed network)...

It is a closed network because they can only do it with with Amazon's blessing. If the third parties step out of (the very thin) line, the deal's up.

missingskin said:
Err all my Amazon purchased books can be read on my Galaxy S11 (Android) and my Macbook...

Are those .azw files or .mobi files? Are you using the Kindle app or another one?

shanky887614 said:
missingskin said:

same with me, and i use this weird Japanese app thingy that most of the writing after first page is foreign

Are those .azw files or .mobi files?

If they are .azw files, it's possible that 1.) it's a hack and Amazon doesn't know about it, in which case I'd not mention it too much out on discussion forums; or 2.) when entering Japan, Amazon had to partner up with a Japanese company to make their products more acceptable, which is not an uncommon practice for Western companies to have to do. If it's the latter case, broadcast that app's name and developer from the rooftops.

Additionally, here's an article that talks about more of Amazon's heavy-handedness when making business deals, though it's not specifically related to the Kindle. Ordinarily, I'd say to take something like this with a grain of salt because the American publishing industry is about as well run as the American auto industry. However, I've heard of a few independent publishers complaining about the same thing. In the case of the article, it seems like a showdown between Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein: I can't tell who's the worse guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom