The Venerable Edwin Jagger DE89

I left mine at parents house so I use it pretty regularly and yes every time I'm blown away how good it shaves. For me it's especially good at shaving every other day but it also does excellent work for daily shaves. Best pairing for me is with Gillette silver blue. And is my first proper DE razor so I think it'll be here for a long time.

I had one years ago and can't remember the reason I got rid. I remember thinking the handle was light and it's knurling could have been deeper.
Thing is I have one again now and it doesn't bother me like it used to, and if it did I could just out a different handle on it.
I'm always impressed by how well it shaves. It's what I recommend to anyone new to DE shaving. (I haven't tried the modern King C Gillette. )

I left mine at parents house so I use it pretty regularly and yes every time I'm blown away how good it shaves. For me it's especially good at shaving every other day but it also does excellent work for daily shaves. Best pairing for me is with Gillette silver blue. And is my first proper DE razor so I think it'll be here for a long time.
Funnily enough I used mine with a Silver Blue over the weekend after not using that blade for a long time and it worked really well for me. Reckon second and third shaves were better than the first.

I'm probably in the minority of those who don't care about the DE89/R89 design much. Or the Merkur 34 it's likely based on (they basically inverted the shape of the bottom of the base plate, moving the mass from the centre to the sides).
There are some interesting elements of the design - clamping the blade fairly far from the cutting edge allows for better flow-through. With contemporary blades, it's a little plucky/skippy for me ATG, unless I soften my hair so much I could shave it off with a buttern knife.
I can get a good shave with it, it's just not quite as comfortable as with some other razors.

It would be interesting to try it with a stiffer blade. The closest I can get to that is probably using shims.

Considering I have Reggie's Razors brass spin on the theme, I might as well try it with a shim sandwich again.
(I posted this on ATG, too, just syncing things :).)

I'm probably in the minority of those who don't care about the DE89/R89 design much. Or the Merkur 34 it's likely based on (they basically inverted the shape of the bottom of the base plate, moving the mass from the centre to the sides).
There are some interesting elements of the design - clamping the blade fairly far from the cutting edge allows for better flow-through. With contemporary blades, it's a little plucky/skippy for me ATG, unless I soften my hair so much I could shave it off with a buttern knife.
I can get a good shave with it, it's just not quite as comfortable as with some other razors.

It would be interesting to try it with a stiffer blade. The closest I can get to that is probably using shims.

Considering I have Reggie's Razors brass spin on the theme, I might as well try it with a shim sandwich again.
(I posted this on ATG, too, just syncing things :).)
For me DE89 is much better than 34HD. I rank the DE89 as a medium aggressive razor rather than the mild and it packs pretty good efficiency. 34HD on the other hand was way to mild and didn't have enough efficiency to give me close enough shave.

For me DE89 is much better than 34HD. I rank the DE89 as a medium aggressive razor rather than the mild and it packs pretty good efficiency. 34HD on the other hand was way to mild and didn't have enough efficiency to give me close enough shave.
I have the 23C and a DE89 head but haven't compared them directly.
I should do that after I'll have passed the Jupiter on to the next passaround member.

From memory, they the DE89 might have a little more blade feel, but I don't remember it being more efficient. Still, not worth much unless compared with the same blade, handle and lather on the same hair growth.

Big thumbs up from me! While I've actually never had an Edwin Jagger I have had a number of Muhle R89s through my hands and still have both an R89 head and a full R89 Twist razor. I came back to it only a matter of weeks ago and the veil was lifted from my eyes ... it is an absolute classic!

Mine are now in regular rotation with the Muhle Rocca and the KCG (which I prefer over the M23 or M34 head).

I don’t have one & i know i should have :cry:
I really must get my finger out
Connaught have 15% off Edwin Jagger at the moment, Mike. I'll just leave this here:

:D

I got one at last ... I went for the shortie (pictured here with my giant Muhle R89 Twist for comparison):

IMG_4156.jpeg

I found this infographics on Sharpologist website:

71kGviUXZVL._SL1500_-720x463.jpg

Spot the myth-busting section? Interesting that the author states that Edwin Jagger is NOT sourced through Muhle and their razors are independently sourced? Yeah, through the same supplier ... surely? Same for the soap? Odd.

Back
Top Bottom