Old Edwin Jagger D89

Just making an enquiry, it's regarding the age to my Edwin Jagger DE89 Razor.
I had my razor bought for me at Christmas 2018 and I was informed that the razor could be at least 20 yrs old.
I have now asked Edwin Jagger direct and they can say that it's definitely prior to 2011.
Any one a Edwin Jagger Historian who can age this razor.
I'm hoping it's one of the very first razors issued in 1988...

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_201606661_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240128_201606661_HDR.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240128_201459778_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240128_201459778_HDR.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 50
Just making an enquiry, it's regarding the age to my Edwin Jagger DE89 Razor.
I had my razor bought for me at Christmas 2018 and I was informed that the razor could be at least 20 yrs old.
I have now asked Edwin Jagger direct and they can say that it's definitely prior to 2011.
Any one a Edwin Jagger Historian who can age this razor.
I'm hoping it's one of the very first razors issued in 1988...
Neil Jagger made the first one at his home in his basement @1988, and it was brass,... it was also not for sale. They went into production in 2009.

I did not know any of the history behind Edwin Jagger and certainly not the history of the (quite legendary) 89 razor. I have a newfound admiration for both company and razor. Thanks for the history and links, folks!

@Drcharles - While the razor itself may not have changed in design, it's the overall package (likely the case) that gives away the era to the folks at EJ. Given they'll run a certain product set for a decent period of time, it is no doubt difficult to pinpoint specific dates but to be frank ... if they say pre-2011 and we know that (mass) production did not start until 2009 then yours is a 2009 or 2010 and certainly one of the very first. It is zamak head, yes, like current production?

What a great piece!

I did not know any of the history behind Edwin Jagger and certainly not the history of the (quite legendary) 89 razor. I have a newfound admiration for both company and razor. Thanks for the history and links, folks!

@Drcharles - While the razor itself may not have changed in design, it's the overall package (likely the case) that gives away the era to the folks at EJ. Given they'll run a certain product set for a decent period of time, it is no doubt difficult to pinpoint specific dates but to be frank ... if they say pre-2011 and we know that (mass) production did not start until 2009 then yours is a 2009 or 2010 and certainly one of the very first. It is zamak head, yes, like current production?

What a great piece!
When did they start putting their logo on the baseplate? I've had mine at least ten years, and I got it used.

Last edited:
It is zamak head, yes, like current production?
Does the DE89 have a zamak head - I'm confused, here, as EJ's website declares that the razor is "machined from solid brass, triple-plated and hand-polished ..." My own is c. 10 years old, has the grooved (lined) handle and has a decent weight to it.

Last edited:
My 89's are both from Muhle. I'll have to defer to folks who know more @Geofnay - there is talk of zamac rot on these heads, but looking for specifics that appears to be only the thread, so the baseplate and cap may well be brass with zamac inserted posts and thread. It is interesting to note (from here: https://edwinjagger.com/downloads/Edwin_Jagger_Imitation_Razors_Announcement_(December_2015).pdf) that die-casting is mentioned as the method of production ... which yes, could be brass ... but not solid brass.

Does someone know for certain?

EJ's website description is false advertising. I've had numerous secondhand 89's with zamak rot on the heads, both on the centre post and around the lather channels... The heads are zamak. I think the handle tube could be plated brass but describing the overall razor as "machined from solid brass" is an outright lie.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...agger-de89-and-muhle-r89.577136/post-10454133 ... claims the DE89 is all zamak while the Muhle has a brass thread, which might account for the slight difference in weight between the two heads with the Muhle just a tad heavier. These figures are further up that thread.

Regarding the "machined from solid brass" ... that might well be in reference to the ones that @TobyC mentioned in the second post.
I doubt it, brass is what he used when he was making them by hand. They are zamak crappers for sure. Mine still looks good, but I seldom use it, it has no soul.

What is the MJ-90A? We took the ever popular DE89 razor head, studied it, analyzed all it's positive and negative qualities and made it WAY better!

What did we do and why is it better?

1) Materials: Instead of low-quality zinc-alloy (Zamak/pot metal), we used aircraft aluminum block for the head and 316L stainless steel rod for the handle.

2) Build: Instead of cheap, non-precise stamping/casting, we have built the razor using precision CNC milling, both for the head and handle. The tolerances are superior to the DE89.

3) Design: Instead of having the blade tabs exposed, we have milled the tolerances of the guideposts to precisely hold the blade with very little blade play, meaning the blade tabs can be covered, protecting your precious ear lobes :)

4) Longevity: The DE89 is well known for its threaded post snapping off. Why? Because it uses cheap pot metal and because it's post is spot welded on. Drop it from 12-18 inches and the post breaks off into the handle rendering your $40-45 razor useless and ready for the landfill. We completely milled the top cap from a block of aircraft aluminum, meaning the top cap is one solid piece, no broken posts here!

5) Handle: Instead of using a hollow cheap handle, we have milled our handle from solid 316L marine-grade stainless steel and hand polished it. We have also milled in our RazoRock Halo rings for extreme grip and comfort!

6) Price: Even though we made all the necessary improvements above, it sells for only $39.99! How does this even make sense when the competition is selling a far inferior product for $45-65? I'll leave that with you to ponder :)

Back
Top Bottom