The NEW Rockwell 6s razor

That looks like a wholly different proposition to the original, and a vast improvement to boot.
Are there any signs of post-manufacture fettling or finishing?
I hope they start sending the Kickstarter replacements to us poor folks in the UK soon, and
I also look forward to your impressions when you get to use it.

Well I ordered one about 10 days a go and it arrived today delivered by Robin B'Stard (UPS) c/w a £23.00 charge. It looks the buisness but I have a razor in front of it so will not be getting it wet until next week sometime. Look forward to ongoing reviews !!
1st impression updated, not keen on the plastic guard thing it is way too tight and I have visions of sliced fingers...........free blades were nice.... :)

Well I ordered one about 10 days a go and it arrived today delivered by Robin B'Stard (UPS) c/w a £23.00 charge. It looks the buisness but I have a razor in front of it so will not be getting it wet until next week sometime. Look forward to ongoing reviews !!
1st impression updated, not keen on the plastic guard thing it is way too tight and I have visions of sliced fingers...........free blades were nice.... :)
Glad you have your razor, let us know how you get on with it.

But,

I ordered 2 via Kickstarter and they were dispatched in Oct 2014. Only 1 arrived and it was next to useless.

I have been waiting for replacements. The fact that they are shipping new orders first has fucked me off even more.

Rockwell 6s ("v 2.0") - Shave Report 1 out 2

This morning I used the new Rockwell 6s " v 2.0" that I received earlier in the week.
As showed earlier in this thread there is a significant difference between the earlier version and what is being issued today.
I'm happy to say that so far all of these changes appears to be positive one.

I decided to easy my way into the razor by starting with the least aggressive base plates: 1, 2 and 3.

Base plate 1:
Extremely mild. To the point where you doubt there is a blade in the razor.
If there would be a 0.5 setting on a Gillette Slim this is how it would shave.
I actually think that the 'new' Base plate 1 is even less aggressive and/or less efficient than the old design was (my v 1.0 thoughts on Base plate 1 here)

I rather quickly, within half a face decided to change it up and mounted the next plate..

Base plate 2:
Big difference. There was even some audible feedback now. It shaved but still very much on the mild side.
Not a bad base plate as all - just not as efficient as I'd like for a razor to feel (it was leaving quite some stubble in it's wake).
The aggressiveness and efficiency of base plate 2 seemed to be very much in line with how the v1.0 plate worked
(My v1.0 thoughts on base plate 2 here)

I switched out the next plate for my ATG pass..so cue;

Base plate 3:
I was rather surprised by this base plate as I had expected the step from 2 to 3 to be as significant as going from 1 to 2 but it was a rather subtle change and if I had to do a blind shave I am not completely convinced that I would had been able to tell the two apart.
Looking back at my write-up of my thoughts on v1.0 base plate 3 it appears as if v2.0 is held back a bit and might be a bit less aggressive/efficient.

Quick day 1 conclusions:
Vast improvements in fit, finish and feel.
Even though the v2.0 handle has a much less pronounced knurling it still felt very stable and secure during the shave and actually a bit more comfortable and 'refined' than its predecessor.
Base plates 1-3 were not my favorites on v1.0 and that may be the same for v2.0
I don't "blame" the razor for that at all - I simply prefer a bit more bark in my razor so I am really excited to try out plates 4-6 on Monday to see how they deliver.

2411lcz.jpg

Rockwell 6s ("v 2.0") - Shave Report 2 out 2

Yesterday I decided to try out the remaining three base plates 4,5 and 6.
I actually hadn't shaved since Friday (Monday was a lazy President's day) so I threw almost four days of stubble at the razor.

Base Plate 4
Nice comfortable shave. I do once again feel as if that plates have been made a bit less aggressive than the first version though.
It shaved well but was not a significant, to me, change from base plate number 3 - so I changed it up...

Base Plate 5:
Ah, now we're getting somewhere!
This plate felt efficient but it also had a bit of a bark to it.. If I didn't pay full attention it could probably bite.
My favorite plate so far. Nice audible feed back as well.

Base Plate 6:
I wanted to try out base plate 6 during the same shave as well so that I had a fresh memory of what I was comparing it to.
Hands down the most aggressive of the plates. Funny thing though - I didn't feel as if it was a lot more 'efficient' as far as stubble removal goes compared to plate 5.

Overall comments:
After having gone through all six plates now I have three overall comments;
- Huge improvement in quality and finish on this model vs the first one,
- The plates appears, to me, to be overall a bit milder compared to v 1.0. That's not necessarily a bad thing as you still have six plates with the sixth barking quite loudly at you, and
- I am a plate 4.5 guy :)

312tx84.jpg

These guys are certainly on the ball. I emailed them at 1122 UK time, and at 1426 this pinged into my Inbox:-

Quote:
"Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out - your free replacement pre-order is shipping out with the next large shipping batch (we're hoping to ship over 2000 razors over the next two weeks). I'm expecting it will ship out to you before March 15th. Thank you for your ongoing patience and support!

Gareth"

I could begin to quite like "reaching out".

Back
Top Bottom