The Fatip Chronicles

I just chucked mine in the bin.
I'm way too cheap to do that!

Rapira Platinum Lux shave 2
711a8780-cf38-4d00-8614-1f2c82b6d250_zps8allmb3w.jpg

I got a bit fed up with not getting as close a shave as I wanted so changed the routine a bit. Did an ATG pass instead of the second XTD I usually do.
Alum sting a plenty and the Pinaud Bay rum burned like hell (it always does) but I definitely got a close shave :)

Shaved last night, went for a run this morning and the sweat started my neck stinging again so I guess there was a bit of irritation there. One more shave to go with this blade, so far I'd rank those I've tried like this:

1. Astra SP
2. Voskhod
3. Rapira Platinum Lux
4. Bolzano

I do love a good list.

I'll be using my Piccolo tomorrow as my mad busy week has left me with 4 days growth so only a OC will do.
However, It will only be doing the 1st pass with the grain before the trusty AS-D2 takes over. I have turned into a risk averse shaver.

I have a FatIp and just love it - it's cheap, poorly finished, but gives a shave second to none. I currently am using it with a personna blade which is running a marathon with over 15 shaves on the same blade!
Wow, that's impressive. Might have to give a personna a go. I think I have some Personna platinum. Looks like you are using something else though?

Rapira Platinum Lux shave 3
d9f9702c-9da5-44ee-958a-18fa49aa24a6_zpsxpgf9opv.jpg

Valobra

I skipped a nights shaving, electing instead to drink Bourbon.
Last night face lathered with Valobra and a Silvertip. First pass was great but I think the lather went away a little on the next two. I really should have stopped and loaded the brush again I think. I ended up with some irritation and a couple of nicks. Very close shave though.

Time to change blade again. I'm thinking Feather, Derby or random selection.

I'm sure I have read someone say that Fatip razors are the Alfa Romeos of wet shaving. You're not a proper wet shaver until you've used one. That's about as far as I can go with Fatip/motor vehicle analogies.

Sputnik shave 1
4e50d980-239f-4c4e-8d3e-b1b6b4f5fcfd_zpsix79enpj.jpg

Kent/MWF soap

I decided to randomly choose the next blade. Created a spreadsheet of the blades I had and used a random number generator to pick out the one to use.
This turned out to be the 'Sputnik'.

I had no idea what to expect as I've never used one and can't remember ever reading anything about them.
The shave was great, loads of great slick lather (really enjoying the MWF soap) 3 comfortable passes and BBS with no irritation.
Really pleasantly surprised by the Sputnik, looking forward to trying it again to see how it goes.

ahh, the fatip grande! it stands alone as the only razor i have ever failed to get a decent shave out of. i really want to say it was a pile of shite but that seems harsh, its just a poor design. the ropey build quality adds just enough to make it a good paperweight. actually sold mine for more than i bought it for! some people like them, i have no love at all for them. it baffles me how people can produce such shoddy crap with todays technology when 50-100 years ago, companies both big and small were rattling out precision pieces that are still around today with the most rudimentary equipment.

alfa romeos were shit as well. now they are just re badged fiats.

Well, I continue to shave with my substandard Italian razor and continue to enjoy it ;)

Sputnik Shave 2
Went with MWF again last night as I enjoyed it so much the night before. Great lather again but shave wasn't as comfortable. I think I was overly bouyed by the previous shave and was a bit careless with angle and pressure.
Still a very close shave and only minor irritation.
I'm still pretty happy with this blade.

I have a FatIp and just love it - it's cheap, poorly finished, but gives a shave second to none. I currently am using it with a personna blade which is running a marathon with over 15 shaves on the same blade!

With you on this one - maybe we both got decent versions... Mine, loaded with a Gillette 7 o/c gives me a great, smooth comfortable shave every time; aggressive, maybe, but nowhere near my R41.

Huzzah for the Fatip!

Back
Top Bottom