Television

I've found that I've replaced TV with BBC Iplayer and Channel 4 on Demand :mrgreen:

I was watching the replays of old Bond movies recently on ITV finding myself amazed at all the adverts they have on nowadays.

I don't watch much, though I have recently upgraded to Virgin HD...

Currently enjoying:

Dexter
Mad Men – bugger, I missed that tonight because I was shaving.
Oh, and I have been enjoying Better Off Ted. It's an American comedy that is a) funny, b) intelligent (at times), and b) has some great performances in it (Portia de Rossi, especially). Inevitably, it got cancelled after two series...
Two and a Half Men – it's always on. ALWAYS.

Tend to PVR stuff and watch it later, Or watch stuff via Iplayer or Seasaw.
Got the PC linked to the 32" so its great.

Traditional scheduled telly is a dying medium now imo, very few years left in it.

I make a lot of use of Sky+ to record programmes I may wish to watch at a time of my choosing. I've always been a current affairs and sports fan. So when anything big crops up, it's good to have 24 hour news channels and coverage of all major sports events. News, information,and TV programmes available on the internet are changing the way we live dramatically. As always life evolves and each of us responds in the way that suits us.

Nothing will ever match my enthusiasm for TV as did that little black and white set that appeared in my living room for the first time as a child. The Grove Family was the first thing I recall. A far cry from East Enders. How I detest that stuff! Almost as bad as some shaving forums.

As I'm confined to barracks I'm watching quite a lot of tv at the moment. Luckily, there's been a lot of cricket on (good win by England yesterday), and there's the Ryder Cup to look forward to.

I avoid all soaps, "victim" tv (so-called talent shows and the likes of the appalling Big Brother, which is the modern-day equivalent of the Victorians paying to go and watch the lunatics in the asylum).

Largely, it's a case of 200 channels and nothing worth watching. I've got Sky HD, a 42" Panasonic plasma and a Harmon Kardon surround-sound. HD is fantastic, and plasma makes sports like cricket, golf and rugby come to life, with none of the "ball looking like a tracer bullet" effect of other types of set. I don't care for football, as I believe that everybody involved in the game is a loud-mouthed chav, and the players are such poor role models. That last comment is toned down as far as I can manage. You should hear what I really think about footballists.

Anyway. Yes, there are some great programmes available, but there's also an enormous amount of dross. I just watch what I really want to. I don't just leave the tv on as background noise.

Regards

Ian

I ditched my telly over 7 years ago, never regretted it, It's a lifestyle choice I can live with.
I am planning on buying a video projector soon, for some "home cinema" fun, but that's it.

One of the reasons for the video projector is that I wouldn't need a TV licence either.
(around a 100 quid/year in France)

Do get funny looks when having new friends over... "where's your TV man?" :D

FB.

Cancelled Sky a couple of months ago.

Nothing worth watching (will miss Ryder Cup but hey-ho).

Would rather put a DVD on or read a good book.

Comedy, Natural History, some sport, the odd film and a few other things. I don't pay Sky or Virgin for anything, so it's all Freeview. Considered going along the HD route, but until Freeview HD comes along, it'll have to wait.

Ian

IanM said:
Comedy, Natural History, some sport, the odd film and a few other things. I don't pay Sky or Virgin for anything, so it's all Freeview. Considered going along the HD route, but until Freeview HD comes along, it'll have to wait.

Ian

It's here but limited.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD/Programmes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD/Programmes</a><!-- m -->

My wife watches more TV than myself, usually Trainee Surgeon Vets at Childrens Hospitals on Flying Speeding Motorbikes with Nick Knowles - I think that's what it is called.

She's just bought the Mad Men boxset and i do keep half an eye out for Miss Hendrick's heaving bosomy-ness - I've met her y'know - Schwing :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Me? I tend to watch stuff like the history channel, Midsommer Murders (the most dangerous part of the country, by a mile), Poirot, Miss Marple (Joan Hickson version only), Top Gear, House & Lie to Me. Other than that it's mainly DVD / Blu-rays & downloads :)

antdad said:
IanM said:

Ian

It's here but limited.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD/Programmes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD/Programmes</a><!-- m -->

Yup. September 2011 where I live.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom