Tabac fragrance

Tabac smells

• Total voters
Treb said:
Never knew Tabac was such polarising stuff...

Hi there,

Well, maybe I feel a little jilted by the Tabac. Wanted to love it because of all the great reviews, but her smell wasn't to my liking. It's a sad and disappointing thing, and I might still be sulking a little bit from being spurned.

Kinda like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvbQ4wJak_c

The smell doesn't really put me up nor down, I have worked in old folks homes repairing dry cleaning machines, industrial washing machines etc. I have to say that in my personal experience I would rather sniff the Tabac all day long.
Performance wise I have just completed my first ever 3 pass DE shave using it, something I haven't been able to do with other soaps or creams. Normally I know after my first pass if I will get away with second, after the third pass I think I still could have got away with another if I had wanted to. I for one will most certainly be using it again, even if it does smell a bit like piss.

daz

Well, all those disappointed with Tabac should remember (or know) that most German soaps have similar performance. So try Klar, Dittmar's or Speick instead, and Irisch Moos is just identical, apart from the scent.

daz said:
The smell doesn't really put me up nor down,
I for one will most certainly be using it again, even if it does smell a bit like piss.

daz

Hi daz,

I'd have to say probably most of us (myself included) enjoy the smell of pee wafting around our face during the shave, so that's not the problem. No, the Tabac has a certain extra note that puts me off.. I believe it's asparagus essential oil, which isn't a good addition in this case.

daz said:
I for one will most certainly be using it again, even if it does smell a bit like piss.

daz

If your piss smells like Tabac, you're either swallowing it or you need to see a doctor. Maybe both.

Ian

I think what Dodgy is saying he uses a public toilet urinal cake as a shave puck. But yes, the asparagus smell is there, along with perhaps the lightest touch of melted plastic that catches the back of the throat.
Food and Drink's Jilly Goolden reveals some of the sources of gases used in the creation of Tabac's unique fragrance in a way that only a connoisseur can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvF2_k0eZI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I've always got along OK with Tabac. Not perfect, but well none the less.
I remember my dad used the after shave on some special weekends. It reminded him of summer. So I got used to the smell quite early. I don't see what they mean by a "sharp floral scent" as there's nothing floral in it to me. But then again, I don't get the cigarette ash comparison! It's hard to describe the scent, especially that of the soap. It's very wintry, woody in fact, with definitely some sharp notes in there.

Ok. After reading all this for 2 months, I bought some. Fragrance , didn't really mind it. Didn't smell any Tobacco to it?
Performance...well, using it with an open razor it wasn't really outstanding. Worth a try just to see what all the hoopla was all about.

i used a Tabac shave stick for the first time at the weekend, the lather is great. It smells ok to me, just different to everything else.

All the shave sticks i've got smell ok TBH.

Valobra, Spieck, Palmolive, Lea, La Toja, Boots.

The Boots one is the worst, but Palmolive and Spieck sticks fit in the cases :)

Most know how I feel about it...get the stick not the jar and allow the soap to hydrate (sometimes it takes a few weeks) and it will mellow to a very pleasant woody floral, perfect for winter.

That doesn't quite sound like the language of a convert but at least you're giving it a go, if it's still not to your liking give it a water bath for five minutes shake it off and put the lid back on. Repeat as necessary, it should mellow right down.

Back
Top Bottom