Supermarket whisky

Gingerpose said:
Now the burning question is - do you dilute yours or drink them unadulterated?

Heresy I know but I like a cube of ice in mine, my father in law scoffs (he's Scottish) but he puts a drop of water in his. I see it as the same thing, my whisky is just a little cooler.

Aldis "Crabbie's green ginger mac"
a blend of green ginger wine and Glen Moray single Speyside malt whisky,
combined with the Colonels favorite herbs and spices. haha!

but... 17%vol 70cl ... £5.99
fantastic value and doesn't leave my tender head feeling saw the next day!

hunnymonster said:
Springbank 21 for me - or Ardbeg or Port Ellen or Lagavullin or Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhainn or Caol Ila or Port Charlotte or Bowmore (older than 15)... there's a pattern there somewhere :)

Plus 1
on the 'Springbank 21'

Found that whisky on a trip to Campbeltown, Mull Of Kintyre, where the mist actually does roll in from the sea!

I love single malts, and have sampled a few but my recollections are hazy! Have a friend who when we worked together was a member of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society. They go round the country doing tasting evenings so he invited me along to a couple which were great. Prior to that I just thought whisky was bells with dry ginger and wasnt a fan! Funnily enough I've tasted Bells since on its own and thought it was quite nice! We also used to go to the SMWS place in Faringdon whenever we were down in London for meetings etc. A most acceptable way to spend an evening! Trouble was we had always had a few real ales first so the memories a bit gone on the variety we had! Remember Longmoor being a very nice sherry casked whisky, but I'm more of a peaty Islay TCP tasting Bloke! Although Talisker is also a favourite.

Trouble for me is that if I spend a decent amount on a bottle of single malt it usually goes quickly as Mrs Force loves the stuff aswell! Therefore for regular drinking we will buy a cheaper blend, the co-op do nice own brand whiskys which I believe are award winners. Current bottle open at home is a Sainsburys own brand which Mrs Force purchased to make the shopping bill go over 70 quid so she could claim 7 quid off. Think the bottle cost about 11 quid so she ended up paying 4 quid more than she would without buying it..... Womens logic eh, though I'm not complaining. Its not bad with a small drop of water in it!

Talking of the co-op once went in there to get a single and thought I'd try a Glen Moray, not too bad a price at around 20 quid. Got to the checkout and it flashed up something like 'end of line' and got it for half price.....A welcome boozy bargain :icon_razz:

hunnymonster said:
Springbank 21 for me - or Ardbeg or Port Ellen or Lagavullin or Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhainn or Caol Ila or Port Charlotte or Bowmore (older than 15)... there's a pattern there somewhere :)

I may just call you if I ever decide to open this one

100_3058.jpg

Lagavulin 16 yo is my tipple - but not too often :icon_rolleyes:

Steve

Just purchased a half bottle of malt from the English Whisky Co. (St. George's Distillery) which is located about 15 miles south of here. Will probably open it tonight, so I'll report back then. It's the Chapter 9 expression, which is a moderately-peated malt.

Hi again Chris, about a page and a half ago you asked about my favourite island malt. Lagavulin, ta very much :icon_cheesygrin:

There's a very close second, but it's probably either all gone now or being sold under a different name - that's Ardbeg Uigeadail, a cask strength release. Really gets under the old fillings, that one.

Nice to see a mention for the much maligned whisky mac from Juice! Not so keen on the pre-mixed one (although I notice Mrs A has procured a bottle recently). Nothing like Crabbie's Green Ginger Wine to rehabilitate cheap scotch and take the edge off a cold.

Right - my tasting notes for the English Whisky Co. Chapter 9 - 46% alcohol, non chill-filtered, no E150a):

Nose - undiluted - initial spirity heat soon subsides to give fleeting green fruit, softening and sweetening to cream and then developing into madeira cake. Smoke very subtle.

Taste - undiluted - again, initially quite spirity, then sweetening and creamy. After a couple of seconds, a waft of peat smoke and green pepper. Finish quite short, but spicy in a gingery sort of way.

Nose - with a few drops of water - unusually, water here reduces the sweet, cream/madeira cake note and brings back some of the green fruit and smoke.

Taste - with a few drops of water - As with the nose, reduces sweetness and heightens the green pepper and smoke. Again, gingery heat on the finish.

Very nice, this - I'm used to malts with more wood influence than this. I wouldn't say it's as moreish or easy-going as some, but it's interesting and unusual in a way that reminds me of Springbank. This doesn't resemble that fine malt, but it's similarly unusual and fascinating.

I ought to just point out that I woke up today with a stinking cold, so, though I didn't feel at all affected yesterday evening, my "nose" may have been a bit inaccurate relating to the tasting notes above.

Back
Top Bottom