Supermarket whisky

I don't know about the dram in question, but Aldi's booze buyers seem to be a pretty astute bunch generally and it'll likely represent decent value for money.

Glenfarclas in its bog standard form struck me as almost a caricature of an after dinner Speysider: all heather and honey and none to subtle. I haven't revisited it, though the cask strength stuff is a different proposition. The real bargain from that area is Aberlour I contend, whilst The MacAllan remains definitive. We emptied a restaurant of its stock of the latter at the weekend (they only had a couple of inches left so please don't think the worst) and had recourse to Glenlivet: a fine whisky no doubt, but it would have been better the other way around.

chrisbell said:
Fido said:
My daily tipple around 5pm is usually from a cheapie bottle from Tesco my wife keeps replacing. One of these days I'll take my whisky drinking a bit more seriously and look for good deals on some better quality stuff. So thanks.

Actually, some of the supermarket own-brand blends are quite good, especially good value. That said a nice malt is a more subtle, complex beast. What sort of flavours and aromas do you enjoy in a spirit?

I haven't a clue!

I enjoy the basic offerings of Bells and Teachers, have an occasional nice malt bought as a gift, love a large G&T with ice and lemon and that's about it. I haven't discovered a wine I don't enjoy or a strong pint of real ale either.

Hi Chris, my memory is a bit hazy about these things. To my taste, of all the basic Speyside whiskies, it's the MacAllan which appeals to me most because it seems so well balanced - if you're a big fan of the style that may come across as blandness though. That's the usual 10 yo version; then there's the 10 yo "Fine Oak" one with a bit of sherry and bourbon cask time which retains the same sort of overall character but is definitely an upgrade. A couple of older versions have passed through too, but I won't pretend to remember which they were though they certainly put a smile on my face - at a guess the best of the bunch may well have been an 18 yo, very aromatic with an everlasting finish. I'm on much safer ground with the island malts ... if I was going to put £40 into a bottle of Scotch it would be one of that lot.

Highland Park from Kirkwall is lovely Chris. I'm not a big whisky buff but I've always enjoyed that one. I got through a whole bottle in one particular long, light Orkney night about three years ago, the time flew.

I'm no longer a drinker, but when I was, I was rather partial to a single malt - from early 20's to 40's :icon_razz:
Was always very partial to Laphroaig & Talisker, also Highland Park and latterly Aberlour (blame the Co-operative special offers for that one) Macallan, Glenmorangie and a few others. Dallasdhu springs to mind as memorable - had that bought for me on Skye many years ago and still fondly remember it!
I am/was by no means a connoiseur of the spirit, but I tended to like the smokier/peatier flavours more. Fantastic after food.
Now the burning question is - do you dilute yours or drink them unadulterated?

Gingerpose said:
I'm no longer a drinker, but when I was, I was rather partial to a single malt - from early 20's to 40's :icon_razz:
Was always very partial to Laphroaig & Talisker, also Highland Park and latterly Aberlour (blame the Co-operative special offers for that one) Macallan, Glenmorangie and a few others. Dallasdhu springs to mind as memorable - had that bought for me on Skye many years ago and still fondly remember it!
I am/was by no means a connoiseur of the spirit, but I tended to like the smokier/peatier flavours more. Fantastic after food.
Now the burning question is - do you dilute yours or drink them unadulterated?

answer is you need to try them unadulterated first even if you water it down

Back
Top Bottom