### SUPERMARKET SWEEP ###

It's coming in pretty much ripe now , at the start of the season there is not the volume coming in and you can't smell them in our Warehouse, now they are everywhere and the whole warehouse smells lovely, very very sweet smell.

i had some on Sunday night, very soft, very sweet...... yum yum

The guys collecting said about another 3 weeks of this as they are at their best, after that they start to lose quality and be too soft and over ripe.

shamreez said:
The smell of fresh vegitables and fruits are something I miss over here.

If any of you go to India make sure you have a trip to the local vegitable and fruit market.

The variety of fresh fruits and vegitables is amazing (The closest I had come to one here in UK was when I accidently bumped in to a farmers market in cardiff. But most of the fresh stuff were just carrots and beets)

Shamreez - the way you spell vegetables makes me conclude you're from Birmingham - please tell me I'm right.

Sunburyboy93 said:
We also get Durian Fruit that comes in, the smell of this is a cross between Goat Cow and Pig Shit !!!

What is a goat cow? A pig cat needs to know these things.

(I ordered some mangoes through the Spices of India website last month. Best mango I've had in my life, flipping gorgeous flavour!)

-Blue_Coupe- said:
I get lucky with fruit and veg as I work at a greengrocers myself :) The one fruit I cannot stand is mango though! I could eat pineapples, peaches and nectarines for the rest of my life without eating anything else, but would not make it through 20 seconds of eating mango!
The Polish seem to love their dill like no other!

Well all can say is that the difference between ripe and under-ripe mango is night and day and they turn very quickly so the optimum tasting window is quite small. I wasn't that keen either until I tasted a good one and you seem to like perfumed fruit so I don't see why you wouldn't like them.

Sunburyboy93 said:
It's coming in pretty much ripe now

Steve, would you say the Indian or the Pakistani mangoes are best? They have both at my Indian grocer's but at a fiver per box I didn't want to have to buy both.

I saw the Air India air freight stickers on the boxes and I immediately thought of you!

Well i personally like the Indian mangoes, the ones i like are Alphonso Mangoes
we get these in boxes of 6 or 8 at my work

ratnagiri1.jpg

very very sweet, taste lovely, i have to be careful as i'm a diabetic, and they boost my blood sugar levels very quickly :s:s

they are ALL nice though, far better that the green s**t ones that you get in tesco,
i am fortunate that i get em free at work, but there is a huge asian community near me, Hounslow, Feltham, Southall so there are many grocers that stock them, plus Western International Market is only 15 - 20 mins away

We also handle freight for Cyprus Airways so i also get oranges called "Mandoras" very very nice. also chillies and nice parsley and Halloumi if you ask nicely

and also handle for Tunis Air, so when it's Ramadan we get tons of fresh dates come in, and they just get given to staff as well as a treat, yum yum, like toffee
but again have to watch my Blood sugars :angel:

Ah, they have those Alphonso ones at my grocer's in Rayner's Lane, I had a box the other week. The shop owner said they were the best ones as well, but I wasn't sure if he was being honest or just trying to clear some stock! He was being honest then.
Cheers mate.

Get a good feel of every one in the box, they should be fragrant and they should be slightly soft and yielding but not squishy otherwise its over ripe.

Hiya,

I go through a bunch of mangos in the summer. My favorite is a small one called a champagne or maybe it's also called a Manila mango. Bright yellow when ripe and weighs just over half a pound or so. Kinda shaped like very large kidney beans.

Truly a 'buttery' flavor, which is rare to taste. Notes of vanilla as well.

The flea market I stop at has a bunch of Hispanic produce guys, and boxes of 15 mangoes are only $5. No, I don't buy a whole box because in the past I overdosed on em.....heh. I usually have a few in the house though, which is plenty.

What's doin Steve,

You ever run into lichee nuts? Never saw those in the shell till maybe 15 years ago....always had the canned ones before that. Now those are a very weird fruit.

Talk about something being 'perfumed', that is the stuff. To me it actually does have a fragrance not unlike a perfume. Very tasty to peel and eat, served quite cold.

Martin

dodgy said:
What's doin Steve,

You ever run into lichee nuts? Never saw those in the shell till maybe 15 years ago....always had the canned ones before that. Now those are a very weird fruit.

Talk about something being 'perfumed', that is the stuff. To me it actually does have a fragrance not unlike a perfume. Very tasty to peel and eat, served quite cold.

Martin

yep see them as well, as we also handle freight for china eastern and china southern airlines so see some strange stuff come in. i'm not a fan of those but there is a very sweet fizzy tasting fruit that looks like a small lumpy tomato that comes in from china, that is nice as it "zizzles" in your mouth :icon_razz:

for all the smoked salmon lovers on here, we also see that flown down from scotland every day and flown out to the middle east, we send out 15 tons of it a day !!!, unfortunatley we don't get that as a freebie :icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

Ah mango. Fresh from the tree the skin is fantastic. Over here its like old boots :( Much like the quality of meat in ZA. Knocks spots off even what you can get from a butcher here.

One of the Indian fellas at work here brought me in a couple of the golden mangos today that was picked from his garden back home (Gujarat)

Me and the kids will be devouring them tonight:) we love Mangos!

Back
Top Bottom