### SUPERMARKET SWEEP ###

Lidl Luxury FRUIT & NUT Muesli (£1.70ish for 750g) - Don't knock it till you've tried it.

'Dilute' with an equal amount of Tesco Muesli (the one in a big red bag that's £1ish for a kilo and does not contain any added sugar). Add milk or orange juice. Cover for a minimum of 5 minutes for the grains to soak up the liquid. Then Enjoy! Can also add a dollop of plain/greek or subtle flavoured yogurt to this.

Note: If you like your muesli less sweeter, increase the amount of Tesco Muesli you add to the Lidl one.

ps. Agreed about the mangoes from indian shops. Can't beieve the £ i was spending on the rubbish from regular supermarkets.

Do you dislike brocolli as well Chris? There's a genetic component to distinquishing between herb and soapy tastes so try grating some palmolive into your curry instead.

It's the ability to detect Phenylthiocarbide or carbomide..PTC I think, you could be a super taster.

The smell of fresh vegitables and fruits are something I miss over here.

If any of you go to India make sure you have a trip to the local vegitable and fruit market.

The variety of fresh fruits and vegitables is amazing (The closest I had come to one here in UK was when I accidently bumped in to a farmers market in cardiff. But most of the fresh stuff were just carrots and beets)

You can see what I mean here

My top tip is the asda best, or posh, or finest, whatever they're called, sausages, the ones in a little black plastic tray. The "premium pork" are as good a simple sausage as I've ever found other than seriously spendy ones from artisan makers, and most of the other sorts are very good too.

Hiya,

When it comes to quality food products for a very good price, I don't think you can beat the Polish delicatessens. I'm talking about the ones that prepare a lot of the stuff they sell so it's fresh and home made. I like the large variety of items they offer...anything from blintzes (cheese or cherry filled) to borsht, with lots in between. The white bread rivals the best crusty French type and many of the pastries are good. They're nice because they're usually not overly sweet.

Heh, what they do best is pork....lots and lots of pork. Crown roasts and ham hocks and man.....amazing bacon slabs, When you find a good deli it's nuts trying to decide what to buy. The great part is none of it's expensive. Nope, for some reason they work on a different set of values when it comes to what food should cost and I'm always amazed at the very reasonable prices at these places.

Ok, that's it,

Martin

I reckon your Polish immigrants have been established a lot longer than UK Pols Martin, all I've found is shops full of imported goods and none of it that great tbh. I like dill pickles though.

antdad said:
I reckon your Polish immigrants have been established a lot longer than UK Pols Martin, all I've found is shops full of imported goods and none of it that great tbh. I like dill pickles though.

Man, that's a shame about the lack of decent Polish delis in Limeyland. There's a few places I'll stop at and load up for 3-4 days on all sort of wonderful foods. There's not one really close to me so I have to grab things when I'm working nearby those shops. The smell of fresh bread baking along with various roasts having just come from the ovens....wheew.

Turns out Chicago has a LOT of Poles.......second only to Poland actually. Yeah, there's many places in the city with Polish neighborhoods.

Dill pickles eh? You'd think that being a Chosen One I'd automatically like those things and you'd be right. Yeah, it's some kinda tribal thing most likely. I have had lots of experience with dills, starting at an early age.

Every year my mom would put up maybe 30 jars. I remember her scrubbing the small cucumber pickles in the sink and what the kitchen smelled like with the various seasonings (mostly dill) floating in the air. She'd put the bottles in the cool basement for maybe 6 weeks or so and then it was party time.

Normally 3-4 would explode at some point during the summer, which was a good indication they were still cooking a bit. Longer they cured the more interesting they became. Some bottles had pickles that would fizz when you bit into em, plus lots of intense flavor too (dill and garlic).

Yeah, Yids know their pickles,

Moishe

There are some pretty good Polish places in Chorlton, a mile or so from my house - but this area was the Polish ghetto sixty years ago when the first wave came in. Indeed, my upstairs neighbor is a Pole who's been in this building for over fifty years, and my previous landlord (same building) was Polish.

dodgy said:
antdad said:

Man, that's a shame about the lack of decent Polish delis in Limeyland. There's a few places I'll stop at and load up for 3-4 days on all sort of wonderful foods. There's not one really close to me so I have to grab things when I'm working nearby those shops. The smell of fresh bread baking along with various roasts having just come from the ovens....wheew.

Turns out Chicago has a LOT of Poles.......second only to Poland actually. Yeah, there's many places in the city with Polish neighborhoods.

Dill pickles eh? You'd think that being a Chosen One I'd automatically like those things and you'd be right. Yeah, it's some kinda tribal thing most likely. I have had lots of experience with dills, starting at an early age.

Every year my mom would put up maybe 30 jars. I remember her scrubbing the small cucumber pickles in the sink and what the kitchen smelled like with the various seasonings (mostly dill) floating in the air. She'd put the bottles in the cool basement for maybe 6 weeks or so and then it was party time.

Normally 3-4 would explode at some point during the summer, which was a good indication they were still cooking a bit. Longer they cured the more interesting they became. Some bottles had pickles that would fizz when you bit into em, plus lots of intense flavor too (dill and garlic).

Yeah, Yids know their pickles,

Moishe

On one of our trips to Noo Yoik we went on an eating tour with Big Onion.

One of the places we went to was a 'pickler'. Can't remember the company, but it was a basement full of red barrels holding virtually anything that could be pickled.

If was great. If I lived there I'd be in there every week.

antdad said:
Look out for honey mango from India/Pakistan in late May and June, six or seven quid per box (6) sounds a lot but they are absolutely worth it. I suppose choosing fruit is a long lost art where we've been encouraged to look but not touch or smell and where products are mostly hidden behind protective packaging. It's not that difficult, if it smells ripe it and the flesh gives a little it 's probably ripe.

Must be near the end of the season, bought a box of (Kesar) mangos...dripping sweet nectar, delicious.

antdad said:
antdad said:
Look out for honey mango from India/Pakistan in late May and June, six or seven quid per box (6) sounds a lot but they are absolutely worth it. I suppose choosing fruit is a long lost art where we've been encouraged to look but not touch or smell and where products are mostly hidden behind protective packaging. It's not that difficult, if it smells ripe it and the flesh gives a little it 's probably ripe.

Must be near the end of the season, bought a box of (Kesar) mangos...dripping sweet nectar, delicious.

yep mango season is slowing down now, at my work we get roughly 15 - 20 tons of them a day via Qatar Airways from Pakistan....

our warehouse smells so sweet when they come in

one of the perks of chatting to the local Veg Drivers that supply to Western International Market and London, is that they will always give you a box or two for getting them processed and loaded quickly :icon_razz::icon_razz:

We also get Durian Fruit that comes in, the smell of this is a cross between Goat Cow and Pig Shit !!!

i am told it tastes lovely, if you can overcome the gag reflex !!!!

I forgot we have a hotline to mango central, Steve would you say the fruit is now coming in ripe rather than unripe at the beginning of the season or no real difference?

I get lucky with fruit and veg as I work at a greengrocers myself :) The one fruit I cannot stand is mango though! I could eat pineapples, peaches and nectarines for the rest of my life without eating anything else, but would not make it through 20 seconds of eating mango!
The Polish seem to love their dill like no other!

Back
Top Bottom