Superdrug Coconut Oil with Argan Oil

Think I've found my go to pre-shave............and it's cheap !

Been meaning to post something about this stuff which I've been using the last couple of weeks now. Long story short after using a couple of things with a small amount of argan oil in and liking how it softened my whiskers, I was on the look out for something with more of it to try out. Found this stuff at Superdrug for £2.50 and it's great.

Can't say whether it's doing much to soften the hair but it's definitely giving my skin some protection - I've never used the stuff but as I understand it this is much the same as what Grooming Department prehshave does. The shaves I've had have been consistently smooth and free from irritation or inflammation - even on my neck where I'm almost always paying for a decent/close shave after the fact.

This stuff is like a solid butter at room temperature but melts easily when rubbed in the palm of the hand. I just scoop out about a thumbnail sized amount with the back of a nail, and apply it to damp but not wet skin. This stuff is going to last ages, and if £2.50 is too rich for you it's buy one get one half price
PXL_20220913_184624031.jpg

For that price you may as well pick some up and try it. Even if you don't want to use it as preshave, you can use it afterwards as moisturiser on your face or body and as a conditioner for hair. Nothing to lose really. I have given up on specific preshave things and just use a glycerine soap like Pears, on the basis that so long as your stubble is clean, free of skin oils, and wet, the shave soap should be providing the glide (and the process of applying it will probably displace the preshave). That said, there are people here who swear by pure argan oil as pre.

I might pick up a tub of this as it's so cheap and multiple uses.

Been meaning to post something about this stuff which I've been using the last couple of weeks now. Long story short after using a couple of things with a small amount of argan oil in and liking how it softened my whiskers, I was on the look out for something with more of it to try out. Found this stuff at Superdrug for £2.50 and it's great.

Can't say whether it's doing much to soften the hair but it's definitely giving my skin some protection - I've never used the stuff but as I understand it this is much the same as what Grooming Department prehshave does. The shaves I've had have been consistently smooth and free from irritation or inflammation - even on my neck where I'm almost always paying for a decent/close shave after the fact.

This stuff is like a solid butter at room temperature but melts easily when rubbed in the palm of the hand. I just scoop out about a thumbnail sized amount with the back of a nail, and apply it to damp but not wet skin. This stuff is going to last ages, and if £2.50 is too rich for you it's buy one get one half price
View attachment 93368
Does the container list the ingredients?
Thank's,

Paul.

NM2.jpg

Another cheap product to try for a pre-shave.
NuAge Men “shaving serum” ………. not to be confused with NuAge Men “shaving oil” ( also makes quite a good pre-shave ).
It’s designed for shaving with but I only ever use it as a pre-shave.
5 or 6 pumps massaged into the beard. Super slick, doesn’t thin out or foam up when water is added and it interacts well with a lather. It also provides a little added cooling with a light hint of menthol.
It’s probably the only product I’ve used as a pre-shave whereby I actually feel the benefit throughout the duration of a shave.

I only use a pre-shave on odd occasions and this works so well for me that I abandoned interest in anything else when I tried it for the first time.
At around £1.50 for 50ml it might be the best value for money shaving product that I use.
As always YMMV.

Last edited:
No harm in giving it a go. I've tried the oil and the serum as a pre-shave.
Of the two I prefer the serum. The consistency of it seems to work better with my skin and for me at least it feels slicker and like its present throughout a shave.

Sorry guys not been around as much of late.

As others have posted I've used stuff like The Cube, Pears, Stirling Pre-Shave soap, Proraso cream and generic shave/pre-shave oil. With all of them I find it don't really get any added slickness in the account of the soaps nowadays being so dang slick anyway, and a warm/hot shower before shaving is just hands down the best way to soften the whiskers.

What got me in to this stuff was testing the Bart's Balms pre-shave oil which has argan oil in like his balms, as well as using King C Gillette face and beard wash in the shower which is meant to have it in too. I noticed with incorporating both I was getting smoother shaves. Finding this I thought I'd give it go and am pleased I did. For me it seems to moisturise and protect my skin way more during shaving than other stuff I've used (coconut oil is also naturally antibacterial - bonus), so much so that I've maybe had one or two shaves where it's felt a bit rough for one reason or another - the kind where you think I'm going to pay for that, only on using alum I've had no sting or anything! It doesn't clog up my razor and doesn't seem to affect my lathering, wouldn't be so keen to use in post though as it can feel a little greasy (might just be me using too much though ).

Sorry guys not been around as much of late.

As others have posted I've used stuff like The Cube, Pears, Stirling Pre-Shave soap, Proraso cream and generic shave/pre-shave oil. With all of them I find it don't really get any added slickness in the account of the soaps nowadays being so dang slick anyway, and a warm/hot shower before shaving is just hands down the best way to soften the whiskers.

What got me in to this stuff was testing the Bart's Balms pre-shave oil which has argan oil in like his balms, as well as using King C Gillette face and beard wash in the shower which is meant to have it in too. I noticed with incorporating both I was getting smoother shaves. Finding this I thought I'd give it go and am pleased I did. For me it seems to moisturise and protect my skin way more during shaving than other stuff I've used (coconut oil is also naturally antibacterial - bonus), so much so that I've maybe had one or two shaves where it's felt a bit rough for one reason or another - the kind where you think I'm going to pay for that, only on using alum I've had no sting or anything! It doesn't clog up my razor and doesn't seem to affect my lathering, wouldn't be so keen to use in post though as it can feel a little greasy (might just be me using too much though ).

Give that stuff a go on your scalp.

The mighty @saj (our brother of Arko) recommended me some oils for making a blend for my beard, which I shaved off this month, but I now use the oil blend during my shower, rub a bit of it into my scalp then rinse it off at the end of the shower, and my hair isn't greasy at all.
I've not any had dandruff in the slightest bit since I've been doing this.

My oil blend is coconut, almond, castor and neem, the latter is a tiny bit, which smells truly foul but it's an antiseptic and good for one's skin.

Give that stuff a go on your scalp.

The mighty @saj (our brother of Arko) recommended me some oils for making a blend for my beard, which I shaved off this month, but I now use the oil blend during my shower, rub a bit of it into my scalp then rinse it off at the end of the shower, and my hair isn't greasy at all.
I've not any had dandruff in the slightest bit since I've been doing this.

My oil blend is coconut, almond, castor and neem, the latter is a tiny bit, which smells truly foul but it's an antiseptic and good for one's skin.
hey how ya doing mate?

lot of the bearded cmmunity buy many branded beard oils and mnay make their own

the cost factor of making your own is defo way worth it when it comes to making it yourself

View attachment 93368
Late to the party on this one, but recently been using this stuff and it’s really great! Have actually stopped using my previous go-to Proraso and converted to this as it is that good, and makes your skin feel lovely after. Downside is that it’s hard and initially quite difficult to work with, but I’ve found that leaving it in a sink of hot water for 10 mins softens it up a treat. And for the price, it’s an absolute steal. Many thanks for recommending, as it’s a real hidden gem.

I wish I'd read this earlier. I went to Savers today and looked at similar stuff. One of them had Argan Oil. I use coconut oil on my hair and scalp.
Savers is owned by Superdrug, and you'll often see the same thing in both shops but cheaper in Savers.
I'll have to go back there now I know what I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom