Super Bowl 2013

Thinking about Sunday's match I was reminded of the time I settled down to watch this event many years ago just before kick off after a long drive home that evening. I recall seeing the start, then awoke with just 40 seconds of the fourth quarter left to play.

I hope to see a bit more on Sunday.

Enjoy the game.

images-4_zpsc00cc7dc.jpg

Tall_Paul said:
I can remember joshingly describing American football as rugby with shoulderpads to a proud Texan.

He didn't see the funny side!

I remember playing a game of "half & half" (half RU, half gridiron) against some American visitors at school... at least that was the plan. We started (on the flip of a coin) with gridiron... first thing we all noticed was you could tackle a lot harder with no ill effects... they failed to show for the second half.

Does William "the fridge" Perry still play? I was always impressed by his gut arriving in the end zone before the rest of his body.

antdad said:
Does William "the fridge" Perry still play? I was always impressed by his gut arriving in the end zone before the rest of his body.

"Perry went on to play for ten years in the NFL, retiring after the 1994 season. In his 10 years as a pro, he regularly struggled with his weight, which hampered his performance at times. He played in 138 games, recording 29.5 sacks and 5 fumble recoveries, which he returned for a total of 71 yards. In his offensive career he ran 5 yards for 2 TDs. Perry later attempted a comeback, playing an unremarkable 1996 season with the London Monarchs of the World League of American Football (later NFL Europa)."

hunnymonster said:
I remember playing a game of "half & half" (half RU, half gridiron) against some American visitors at school... at least that was the plan. We started (on the flip of a coin) with gridiron... first thing we all noticed was you could tackle a lot harder with no ill effects... they failed to show for the second half.

I made pretty much exactly the same point, but the conversation had got very rapidly heated (this was after he had been knocking proper football) and I think my view wasn't properly taken on board.

The point he made was that you would never get blokes the size of the biggest on an American football field crashing into each other with the same speed and power you would on a rugby field. I respectfully disagreed with him about it, but I thought it best not to pursue it!

Honestly, what a ruddy terrible sport. Baseball as well. I feel almost apologetic that we didn't pass on proper sports to our colonial cousins. Rughby, cricket and as TP says proper football. As long as they're happy, I suppose - poor things.

I respectfully await the flames.

Gairdner said:
Honestly, what a ruddy terrible sport. Baseball as well. I feel almost apologetic that we didn't pass on proper sports to our colonial cousins. Rughby, cricket and as TP says proper football. As long as they're happy, I suppose - poor things.

I respectfully await the flames.

Now, having played them a bit, I have a lot of time for baseball and softball. Mainly for the following reasons:

• It's bloody difficult to hit the ball when it's been gently lobbed, never mind thrown at you at not far off 100 mph
  • The balls are incredibly hard. I don't know why it's called softball. My mate swung and backspun a 'softball' into his face. We all laughed hysterically until he looked up and he had an instant black eye which the next day looked like he had been in a 10 rounder with Tyson

I used to be into American Football (as I shall call it) in the late 80s. Bought my first colour telly to watch the Superbowl in 1988 and then fell asleep and missed it. I watched a college game in Indianapolis in 1991 and can honestly say that the live experience is better... say what you like about the razzamattazz, but it really is a spectacle and a far cry from lower division footie games in the middle of winter here.

Baseball... really couldn't work out what the hell was going on there.. but most of my knowledge comes from the old Abbot and Costello routine

It took me some time to figure out American Football. Having family out in New York, Las Vegas and now Dallas I couldn't avoid showing an interest. I now appreciate what a fantastic sport it is. It's a game of incredible complexity demanding great mental and physical skills. And it tends to produce compelling last minute outcomes quite regularly.

The only appeal baseball ever had for me was watching the ultra-cool Steve McQueen with his glove and ball in the cooler of The Great Escape. Triumph motorbikes and American A2 leather flying jackets were still high on my agenda for years and years after that.

Back
Top Bottom