Sunburyboys 'Barbershop' Bay Rum AS

hunnymonster said:
Hax said:
Besides, if you buy it and try it, then find you don't like it, you'll have no trouble selling it on in the BST on here :D

It's not like Fozz is located in Hebden Bridge or somewhere equally unfashionable though...

LOL.

I will bite the bullet and give it a whirl. I will order a bottle from Sunbury & have it shipped to my rellies in in the UK who will fetch it with them to Stralia for X-mas.

I do like Bay Rum as long as its not tooooooo sweet.

fozz77 said:
hunnymonster said:
Hax said:
Besides, if you buy it and try it, then find you don't like it, you'll have no trouble selling it on in the BST on here :D

It's not like Fozz is located in Hebden Bridge or somewhere equally unfashionable though...

LOL.

I will bite the bullet and give it a whirl. I will order a bottle from Sunbury & have it shipped to my rellies in in the UK who will fetch it with them to Stralia for X-mas.

I do like Bay Rum as long as its not tooooooo sweet.

Oh I see - didn't know you didn't live over here - now HM's comment makes sense to me :D

I am a great bay rum lover and I love Sunburyboys Barbershop Bay Rum.
Maybe the cinnamon is too dominant but I love it, and I also like the new "old fahioned" label.

Can anybody tell me how this compares with Ogallala (other than authenticity, manufacturing process etc.)? I am particularly interested in

a) How the alcohol bite compares with Ogallala
b) Which is more clovey of the two: Ogallala is dominated (IMO) by the clove oil smell. Does it come through as strong in Steve's? What is the dominant smell in Steve's version?

peg20 said:
Can anybody tell me how this compares with Ogallala (other than authenticity, manufacturing process etc.)? I am particularly interested in

a) How the alcohol bite compares with Ogallala
b) Which is more clovey of the two: Ogallala is dominated (IMO) by the clove oil smell. Does it come through as strong in Steve's? What is the dominant smell in Steve's version?

The reason I disliked the Ogallala a/s was the crazy amount of cloves in it. Steve's is still clovey but it doesn't dominate and I can cope with that, especially as his a/s is so effective. It is pretty mild and only bites if you have had a really close shave.

NOTSHARP said:
I received a bottle from SS at Christmas.

Although I stopped using aftershave years ago, I tried it, liked it, and now use it all the time.

Even SWMBO says how nice it smells :icon_rolleyes:

Steve

Phew, glad you like it! ;)

Amazing stuff. I do like Ogallala as well though - they're different each in their own way. I'd say Ogallala is more sour, and Steve's bay rum is more on a sweet side. Verdict - gotta have both if you like bay rum! Would be interesting if he made a mentholated batch though.. I'm a sucker for cooling.

P.S. Steve's stuff is also very gentle and pleasant on the skin.

Helveticum said:
Amazing stuff. I do like Ogallala as well though - they're different each in their own way. I'd say Ogallala is more sour, and Steve's bay rum is more on a sweet side. Verdict - gotta have both if you like bay rum! Would be interesting if he made a mentholated batch though.. I'm a sucker for cooling.

Thanks. How about the cloveiness?

Per Adam:

Pig Cat said:
The reason I disliked the Ogallala a/s was the crazy amount of cloves in it. Steve's is still clovey but it doesn't dominate and I can cope with that, especially as his a/s is so effective. It is pretty mild and only bites if you have had a really close shave.

peg20 said:
Helveticum said:

Thanks. How about the cloveiness?

It's perfect :)

Peg: I think cloves are a feature of Steve's scent but it's pretty balanced, almost gives it a vanilla note. I think of it as being more orange and vanilla in character.

I can let you have a sample of mine if you like, PM an address and I'll send you a little bottle which should do a couple of shaves.

I find it quite vanilla, as Canuck said, with spices. I'm not a fan of spicy food so I can't differentiate the different spices in the scent, but it's balanced and warming. I get less in the way of citrus than Canuck does; my interest in single malts has shown me that different people react to the same aroma differently.

Back
Top Bottom