Strange box that came with a shaving lot.

I unintentionally ended up with a mixed bag of stuff from ebay (see my acquisition post here)

Amongst it was this box:

eN95GJ5.jpg

Which opens up to reveal this:

Bi2XOWv.jpg

I don't know if the prongs are for holding a razor? I thought the wee storage bit might be for razor paraphernalia but when open it looks like this:

ukin10i.jpg

It has a wee bit of metal that can flip over as well, not sure if it's a catch for the lid or not:

bZZGy1i.jpg

Does anyone have any clue what this thing is? The gauze bit reminds me of the rack for above my old Bunsen burner, but I really have no idea.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Micheal

My guess would be that; it is a Bunsen burner thing to sterilize the old type reusable syringes/needles. you put methalyted spirits to that mesh compartment and burn, then rest the syringes on those Y stands. I think !!
so the Flames would burn off/sterilize the tip of the needle

Sezer74 said:
My guess would be that; it is a Bunsen burner thing to sterilize the old type reusable syringes/needles. you put methalyted spirits to that mesh compartment and burn, then rest the syringes on those Y stands. I think !!

For your morphine addict c. 1930.

Now play that jazz!

Sezer74 said:

Pretty sure this is what it is , saw one myself on ebay and it was advertised as a portable medical steriliser field kit.

Theres one on ebay.cz.

That jogs a memory........we used to have one just like it kicking around my Grandma's house...I seem to recall being told that it was for heating Ladies hair curling tongs...I think the burner operated on methylated sprits which was poured onto a cotton pad under the burner mesh, which is probably nickel plated brass gauze.

Though the sterilising device sounds equally likely...we did have a Medic in the family who was killed in action in the first world war..maybe it was a bit of his leftover kit from that era....the curling tongs and or steriliser would both date to around the same time...

Thank you all for the help! I found some similar items online, but no exact matches. I'll have to keep looking.

Suppose I'll also have to develop a habit to justify this purchase (cheaper than RAD anyway).

mulligano said:
Thank you all for the help! I found some similar items online, but no exact matches. I'll have to keep looking.

Suppose I'll also have to develop a habit to justify this purchase (cheaper than RAD anyway).

Depends on your habit :)

Back
Top Bottom