Stirling Soaps

Is that the same as FAENA GREEK SKINOS PREMIUM SHAVING SOAP, Andreas?
I believe (and hope) it is the same. For reasons beyond my comprehension they've changed the names of their soaps from the obvious (Mastic, Sandalwood, etc) to the obscure (Skinos, Xylon, etc). I'm a mastic addict, but it's a bit like Marmite - SWMBO can't stand mastic ice cream for example... :D:D

Re Stirling:

...But the quality of lather, my word!! I've used many top soaps from many soap makers. Both artisan and corporate. I have without a doubt, not found a soap to be its equal as far as slickness goes. My gold standard for soaps is Mike's Naturals and Tabac. This soap had comparable glide and cushion but even better slickness. I usually can judge slickness when I remove the lather from my lips with my finger and rub my fingers together to judge the quality of the lather. It's my final test if you will, before I put blade to face. When I did that, I knew I had a winner. Superb quality...

http://sharpologist.com/2014/07/stirling-soap-co-ben-franklin-shave-soap.html

I have used some of their samples and for the money their soap is tough to beat. I recommend Tuscany highly for those who enjoy a beautiful scent. Stirling is evidence enough that you don't have to pay top artisan prices for a top artisan soap. ;)

I just ordered three more samples from them: Stirling Spice (their take on Old Spice), Stirling Noir (their take on Drakkar Noir) & Baker Street. The latter is their new version of the defunct Strop Shoppe's Baker Street which was lauded as a fragrance beyond compare by many. Their samples are very ample at 1.1 oz. and only $2.75 U.S. or 2.23 GBP. I have used 1 1/2 samples and it is indeed spectacular soap in its own right, but as well is heavy on the fragrance for those who enjoy that.

Having received these fantastic samples I will offer my opinions. The newest, and much heralded, intro is their Baker Street and to be frank the scent is simply off the charts as regards olfactory pleasure. It reminds me of the vintage Karl Lagerfeld Photo to a degree which was a classic. The Noir is a dead ringer for Drakkar Noir and finally their Stirling Spice is dead nuts on for the vintage Old Spice IMO. It's a dark brown soap that is beyond a "croap", but not quite hard like a triple milled soap. Regardless, since Wickham's discontinued their Spice Trade "croap" nothing else on the market was a good "pretender". That is until now. The Spice Trade to my nose smells like the current reformulated Old Spice whereas the Stirling Spice smells like vintage Shulton or the current Indian version which is headier. Simply unbelievable what they have done as it's that great.

All these soaps perform the same, i.e., magnificently & with slickness off the charts. No, I don't work for them nor am I a shill. I will however advise anyone to run, not walk, to buy these fantastic soaps. ;)

Stirling soaps are excellent, all I've tried perform very well, I own 8 and I've tried 11.

One should also consider PAA soaps, my current favourite for performance. They only give you 4 Oz instead of the 5.8 Oz Stirling soaps but you only need a 10 seconds load for a 3+ pass shave but what matters to me most is the slickness and the aftershave feel. Both are top performers but for me PAA soaps are slicker, at least that is my experience in a hard water area.

Last edited:
Stirling soaps are as slick as any soap I've ever used. Basically they live in that top tier, performance wise. What makes them stand out, and makes them my favorite soap, is the fact that they offer them at ridiculously low prices compared to soaps with comparable performance.

Scents are obviously subjective, but they offer such a big selection, there is something for everybody. Their splashes and balms are also excellent, and an excellent value.

That is why for the last few years I have used them probably 250+ shaves a year.

Back
Top Bottom