Standard razor - a revelation

Louis said:
Just had a look around the Massdrop site. Ah there's all KINDS of stuff - knives, pens, headphones and on and on. There's even a pocket grappling hook which I'm desperately trying to convince myself I don't actually need. This is where my quest for cheap shaving leads me! :icon_twisted:

I kinda like that grappling hook myself - must RESIST!
I've also just discovered Bering Ceramic watches and I NEED one of those...

I can't believe I have cancelled my Massdrop order for the Raw Standard Razor.. I've already got one. I don't need two of them. I'll get another one if and when my current one gets lost, broken, stolen, whatever - not now. Am I cured of RAD? Mind you - I still need a Personna Floating Head Injector Razor. And maybe I'll buy Stan's Raw Standard razor if he doesn't like it :angel:

Well, wonders will never cease! :)

BTW, I'm guessing you paid upfront via PayPal...is it just a matter of cancelling with Massdrop and they will arrange a refund of the money you paid?

In all honesty, whilst using my current black one, I did wonder myself why I'd ordered another one. But it's ordered and hopefully it won't get hit with the VAT/Royal Mail fees and I'm sure I'll see some logic in my purchase at some point.

I have noticed that the black one is liable to the coating coming off if subject to abrasion...ie. the bit around the thread where the two surfaces meet when assembling them and there were a couple of miniscule dinks on the head and handle when I received it...nothing bigger than a pinhead and I've touched them in with black Hammerite on the end of a matchstick...be interested to see how the raw one fares.

DevonStan said:
Well, wonders will never cease! :)

BTW, I'm guessing you paid upfront via PayPal...is it just a matter of cancelling with Massdrop and they will arrange a refund of the money you paid?

I got pretty much an instant PayPal refund. No hassle.

It's been a while since I embarked on this thread, but I feel obliged to say how great I still think the Standard razor is.

In the interval, I've bought and tried SEs old and new, and DEs likewise, but continue to find the Standard a delight to use. Teamed up with a decent sharp blade (a Yellow 7'O'clock today), and Nanny's Signature Warm Spice soap, it gives a smooth, irritation-free shave with virtually no effort or concentration on my part.

Excluding straight razors and individual bespoke SE/DE handles, my razor inventory stands at 78, and I have no hesitation in saying that, if I were to consider reducing that, I would certainly keep a Standard. I can't say better than that.

Wish i knew
Basically what happened both times is that it only shaves on one side of the head and there seems no rhyme or reason for it
The first one i sold cheaply on here and the buyer even ascertained that is wasn't always the same side!

Wish i knew
Basically what happened both times is that it only shaves on one side of the head and there seems no rhyme or reason for it
The first one i sold cheaply on here and the buyer even ascertained that is wasn't always the same side!
Extraordinary. That's unusual for a razor which is mass-produced, and, from what you say, I'm guessing that there were no visible defects or oddities. To have it happen with two is unfathomable, as well as being bad news for you.

Back
Top Bottom